Obama Is Coming To Town!

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130815/CITYANDREGION/130819322/1109

Sources with knowledge of the president’s agenda confirmed late Thursday that the first stop on the president’s tour will be UB.

There and elsewhere along the tour, Obama will be spelling out details of his plans to promote quality, low-cost college education.

“He will discuss the importance of ensuring that every American has the opportunity to achieve a quality education by reducing cost and improving the value of higher education for middle-class students and their families,” a White House official who asked not to be identified by name said Wednesday.

:thumbsup:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The more folks that have a college education; the less valuable they become. We're rapidly approaching the point where the value of having a Bachelors in the hiring process is the equivalent of having a high school diploma 30 years ago. The only difference is that now your kids will have $100k of unescapable debt before obtaining the entry-level position which pays them $30k/yr.

The more folks that have a college education; the less valuable they become. We're rapidly approaching the point where the value of having a Bachelors in the hiring process is the equivalent of having a high school diploma 30 years ago. The only difference is that now your kids will have $100k of unescapable debt before obtaining the entry-level position which pays them $30k/yr.

So your kids won't be going to college???

You'd have to ask them.

With that said, I notice that you haven't addessed my points, not that I'd expect you to, as you're a troll, a shill, and a hack.

Oh, I'm a troll, I forgot! I feel honored that a top 1% man like yourself would even engage me! Yes, more people are going to college, its all more competitive, so what? You still need a degree for most good jobs, that seems pretty obvious and your point seems really silly...almost troll like. My college degree paid for itself many times over

The difference is there is now a lack of skilled labor jobs that do not require a degree. Thus if you don't have one there is a higher likelihood now compared to the past that you will only be able to find a service industry job. Therefore I would argue that a college degree is becoming even more valuable as time passes, not less.

Also, what makes the debt "unescapable"?

Sources with knowledge of the president’s agenda confirmed late Thursday that the first stop on the president’s tour will be UB.

There and elsewhere along the tour, Obama will be spelling out details of his plans to promote quality, low-cost college education.

“He will discuss the importance of ensuring that every American has the opportunity to achieve a quality education by reducing cost and improving the value of higher education for middle-class students and their families,” a White House official who asked not to be identified by name said Wednesday.

Hilarious.

Edited by B-Man

The difference is there is now a lack of skilled labor jobs that do not require a degree. Thus if you don't have one there is a higher likelihood now compared to the past that you will only be able to find a service industry job. Therefore I would argue that a college degree is becoming even more valuable as time passes, not less.

Also, what makes the debt "unescapable"?

It's becomeing more necessary; and less valuable. Most white collar, professional jobs shouldn't require a degree. 30 years ago, most only required certifications and job training. Accounting, for example, required only the rough equivalent of vocational school. Those jobs which did require a degree were attached to larger, more immediate earnings. What happened was, seeing this activists decided that everyone should get a college degree such that they could all make more money. Well, that didn't hapopen, because more people with degrees didn't magically create a supply of higher paying jobs, instead it has a less desirable effect: as the supply of qualified labor increased relative to the demand for that labor, the wages of the college educated decreased. Additionally, as more diplomas were churned out, professions which had never required one now began to. This trend has continued forward, as the laws of economics dictate. Combing this inevitable trend with perpetually escalating higher education costs has created an environment where the cost of getting a job exponentially increased, while the compensation for the job it gets you has greatly declined. The reality of this has manifested itself as 30 year-old, college educated adults who can't afford to move out of their parents houses, as once they've graduated they have to begin paying off $100k in debt which cannot be shed through bankruptcy, and to which there is zero equity attached.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

It's becomeing more necessary; and less valuable. Most white collar, professional jobs shouldn't require a degree. 30 years ago, most only required certifications and job training. Accounting, for example, required only the rough equivalent of vocational school. Those jobs which did require a degree were attached to larger, more immediate earnings. What happened was, seeing this activists decided that everyone should get a college degree such that they could all make more money. Well, that didn't hapopen, because more people with degrees didn't magically create a supply of higher paying jobs, instead it has a less desirable effect: as the supply of qualified labor increased relative to the demand for that labor, the wages of the college educated decreased. Additionally, as more diplomas were churned out, professions which had never required one now began to. This trend has continued forward, as the laws of economics dictate. Combing this inevitable trend with perpetually escalating higher education costs has created an environment where the cost of getting a job exponentially increased, while the compensation for the job it gets you has greatly declined. The reality of this has manifested itself as 30 year-old, college educated adults who can't afford to move out of their parents houses, as once they've graduated they have to begin paying off $100k in debt which cannot be shed through bankruptcy, and to which there is zero equity attached.

Nice post! I really can't disagree with that too much, but it doesn't change the fact that if you want a good job the degrees is the best way to go. If the trends you pointed out so well continue, then degrees for a lot of people might not be the way to go in another decade or more.

Its a catch 22. You skip what is most of the time a worthless bachelors degree, you have hurddles as many good employers list that as a minimum requirement. You get he degree, have a bunch of debt, and you are a slave to it for a long time unless you progress quickly and make a crap more money.

Take the Government money out of high education, you will see school drop their rates, and all of sudden employers will refine their criteria to look for hard working people with capacity and leave the degree requirement behind.

Take the Government money out of high education, you will see school drop their rates, and all of sudden employers will refine their criteria to look for hard working people with capacity and leave the degree requirement behind.

I don't disagree with this at all; however that's not what our president is promoting. He's calling for more people with degrees, and more government subsidization.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

That's funny! Just get rid of government money and everything will be fine. Ideology is so simplistic

I don't disagree with this at all; however that's not what our president is promoting. He's calling for more people with degrees, and more government subsidization.

Middle Class parents are lapping up what he is selling on this agenda, though. Only the College graduates are starting to get it, so I don't see the cycle changing for a while.

Trillions in Student Debt backing, Trillions in Home Financing... when do you suppose the Government will realize it messes up markets?

That's funny! Just get rid of government money and everything will be fine. Ideology is so simplistic

sigh.

What it does is skews markets, providing cheap/easy money for college makes the degrees for many kids useless and sets them up for a live of indentured servitude (that is a little over the top, but the point is made)....also college have no incentive to be more efficient, why woudl they with Governmetn guaranteed money streams? this is also not unlike the cheap/easy money scheme that screwed unsuspecting first time homeowners who still have homes they can't sell, can't afford to live in thereby sucking the life out of the economy.

I am not as small government as most of the posters here, but it shoudl be blatently obvious the government should stay out of certain things, student loans being one of them.

Middle Class parents are lapping up what he is selling on this agenda, though. Only the College graduates are starting to get it, so I don't see the cycle changing for a while.

Trillions in Student Debt backing, Trillions in Home Financing... when do you suppose the Government will realize it messes up markets?

sigh.

What it does is skews markets, providing cheap/easy money for college makes the degrees for many kids useless and sets them up for a live of indentured servitude (that is a little over the top, but the point is made)....also college have no incentive to be more efficient, why woudl they with Governmetn guaranteed money streams? this is also not unlike the cheap/easy money scheme that screwed unsuspecting first time homeowners who still have homes they can't sell, can't afford to live in thereby sucking the life out of the economy.

I am not as small government as most of the posters here, but it shoudl be blatently obvious the government should stay out of certain things, student loans being one of them.

Do you mean student loans, as in regulation of who can get what and at what price, or they should not provide subsidies to public universities?

Oh boy! Are you going to leave a plate of milk and cookies out for him? You better get to sleep mighty early cause Obama won't come if you're awake.

I was thinking more along the lines of kneepads but yours also takes into account that gatorgirl sounds like a 6 year old.