pay for marginal camp fodder guys

zazie

Always wondered, you hear about players getting 'game checks'.

But they must give guys they sign and kick the tires on then release before he season some pay also, no? Or is it just per diem?

sorry, silly question and never good to discuss the pay of others, but, any insight on how guys like that are compensated?

Always wondered, you hear about players getting 'game checks'.

But they must give guys they sign and kick the tires on then release before he season some pay also, no? Or is it just per diem?

sorry, silly question and never good to discuss the pay of others, but, any insight on how guys like that are compensated?

Not silly at all, I had wondered that myself. The info was kind of difficult to find but it seems (unless I misunderstood it) that each NFL team is allowed a $75,000 combined pool for all their UDFA's. UDFA's don't get a "Game Check" because they have not made the team, that 75k is split up between the them as "signing bonuses". From what I was able to find out these vary from around 3k to 20k depending on the perceived value of the free agent and how many of them the team plans on signing. I guess after that they are on their own til they make the team, if they do they get $285,000 split up into "game checks". link, and link. That's as close as I can figure it, somebody else feel free to correct this if I got it wrong.

Interesting, then Rogers really has some stakes that he blew just for being immature. Good for him if he can get it, and keep it together to make the team and get a real contract down the road.

hey thanks so much for your private email!

Not silly at all, I had wondered that myself. The info was kind of difficult to find but it seems (unless I misunderstood it) that each NFL team is allowed a $75,000 combined pool for all their UDFA's. UDFA's don't get a "Game Check" because they have not made the team, that 75k is split up between the them as "signing bonuses". From what I was able to find out these vary from around 3k to 20k depending on the perceived value of the free agent and how many of them the team plans on signing. I guess after that they are on their own til they make the team, if they do they get $285,000 split up into "game checks". link, and link. That's as close as I can figure it, somebody else feel free to correct this if I got it wrong.

I had wondered about this as well... thx for the explanation!

Link?

I'm guessing he means being immature in college that he didn't get drafted and missed on the draftee contract. In any event, the blown opportunity was getting tossed out of U Tenn, and not being a high draft pick. The pay difference for 6-7th rounders & UDFAs isn't that huge.

It seems we're venturing into a grey area here.

There is camp fodder and then there are those undrafted free agents who are bid on by teams immediately after the draft.

The latter often get signing bonuses, some which rarely exceed the bonuses of 7th rounders.

There was a Dallas Cowboys player and another player who I believe had this happen to him.

Can't link up… gotta run to work.

Could be wrong but I think there's a bit of a distinction there.

It seems we're venturing into a grey area here.

There is camp fodder and then there are those undrafted free agents who are bid on by teams immediately after the draft.

The latter often get signing bonuses, some which rarely exceed the bonuses of 7th rounders.

There was a Dallas Cowboys player and another player who I believe had this happen to him.

Can't link up… gotta run to work.

Could be wrong but I think there's a bit of a distinction there.

I'm not searching for links but that's very true. 7th rounders are slotted still while UDFAs can be subject to bidding wars (or lack there of). Rogers likely got a nice bonus still compared to his peers

hey thanks so much for your private email!

Hey, got to stick together man :) no problem

I'm guessing he means being immature in college that he didn't get drafted and missed on the draftee contract. In any event, the blown opportunity was getting tossed out of U Tenn, and not being a high draft pick. The pay difference for 6-7th rounders & UDFAs isn't that huge.

yes that is what I was blabbering about.

I got thrown off because he hasn't "blown" his stakes yet. In fact, the stakes grow higher every second he remains in camp.

http://www.baltimore...mp-compensation

$925 per week plus any signing bonus (some guys get no bonus even)

Hey, thanks for that link. That seems to be a lot less brutal that way, I mean from what I had read I thought some guys were having to stretch a couple grand for 6 or more weeks lol (sneak in tupperware to stash training table food).

I would hope they get some kind of medical coverage at the very least if they tear something.

PTR

There must be some sort of blanket medical that covers them I am sure. In fact if you are going to get cut anyway maybe better to get hurt and get a 'injury settlement', as well as your medical covered.

Practice squad players get a little better deal...minimum salary is $5,700 per week with no maximum salary so teams can pay more to try and lure them away from other teams, although as of last year these do count against the salary cap...so if teams carry a full allotment of 8 practice squad players it will count between about 1-1.5 mil towards the cap

It's nowhere near a full player salary, but making at least $97,000 a year to run around in shorts for a few months and not even have to take the abuse from live NFL action isn't anything to sneeze at either...

Edited by matter2003

I didnt know about the $925. I believe I read that veterans get $1500 a week during camp.,since there are no 'game checks" until the regular season. Hey, if an unknown 'camp fodder' type gets an airline ticket, room & board for the summer and a grand week to pursue his dream,that's not a bad gig.

if it doesn't work out he can get a "real job".