My First Post

Welcome to you. Only question is what took you so long? Post early, post often and congrats on becoming an uncle! Send a case of wine to R. Mead, Charlton, NY.

no <_<

You can bring it to the opener.

Welcome

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, welcome to the board. Long time lurker here myself, though I do post here and there.

I have to give your dad a lot of credit for instilling something with you that both of you can share laughs and tears over. Being a longtime Bills fan with kids 9 and 7, I am in the same boat as your dad was over a decade ago. I am in the process of trying to get my kids to really get into watching the Bills games. We live in Florida and my biggest fear is having them become a fan of one the FL teams, though I seriously doubt it will happen. Both my kids went to their first game in Buffalo last year for the preseason thriller against the Skins. They were pretty bored with the game itself but they both loved the atmosphere with tailgating and in the stadium.

Anyway, I have to ask, was there any one thing that really turned you onto becoming a fan or would you say that it was just something that you saw your dad so involved in that you wanted to be part of it too?

I wouldn't really say there was one thing in particular that really turned me on to it, except that it was just so built in to our weekly lives. My dad and my brother went to 3 of our super bowls (luckily for them, they missed out on the first one). I was born 7 months after that first super bowl. Living in the DC area, every Sunday my parents, brother, and i would go to a bills backers bar in northern Virginia (Grevey's). The first time my parents took me there I was 3 months old, and we went there most Sundays of my entire childhood. I can't remember a time where I wasn't watching the Bills on Sunday- it was just something that we did. I didn't start getting really really into it until the Flutie days, when I was about 7 or 8. That's when I really understood what was actually happening in the games. But I always rooted for the Bills because that's just what we did.

At a certain point though, I really took my Bills fandom to a new extreme. I really became obsessed while I was in middle school, and really would beg my dad to take trips to the Ralph from Maryland, or go on the road and see the team. At a certain point I showed more interest in it then my dad did, and it really gave us something to bond about. Now, it's more me keeping him up to date with everything that goes on with the team on a day to day basis, but he still loves them as much as ever. Being in Syracuse during football season is great because I get the Bills on local TV so I don't need to go to a sports bar to watch them every Sunday. You can probably count on one hand the amount of times we weren't there on Sundays watching while I still lived at home. But now, since we can't be together on game days, I watch the games from my couch and my dad drives to the same bar in Virginia that we've always gone to. Neither of us ever miss a game

Nice story, glad your a fan. Now get up here and watch a game from the Ralph. It's only a 45 minute flight or 7 hour drive

I've been going to at least one game a year at the Ralph every year for 15 years. now that im in Syracuse I make it up about 3 times, since the drive is so much closer. nothing like being there

I support EJ as well; unfortunately, I can't associate with you since you have zero warning points.

For the love of all that is holy, run while you still can!

GO BILLS!!!

LMAO!!!

It is great to be a Bills fan. We'll put up with anything.

No we won't!

My earliest memories of the Bills are... Watching my parents cry when Norwood missed 'the kick', then making a poster with all my Bills and Redskins cards X'ing out all the skins... Then 2 years later, my parents divorcing, which I Bill-ieve was mainly due to differing opinions on front office decisions...

Then the slump began... Now my wife and I have season tickets 3 rows off the field.... I take my kids to games... I vow to never let the Bills effect out marriage as it did my parents'...

Amazing stuff.

Great first post!

I was still alive when the Bills last made the playoffs.

Sent from my iCloud

I for one highly doubt this. I think you had almost been alive and just missed seeing the playoff run. How about now? Did you die already?