The Matrix

You guys were right...I gave it another hour before I hit the sack and I started putting the pieces together. I'm off today so will look forward to finishing up the rest here later this afternoon.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys were right...I gave it another hour before I hit the sack and I started putting the pieces together. I'm off today so will look forward to finishing up the rest here later this afternoon.

Yeah. I think one other note was that it was thought of as an unfilmable novel. So with that in mind, I think the Wachowskis and Tykwer did a pretty interesting, if not perfect job.

It's beautifully shot, that's one thing I've noticed about it. I'm streaming it via my AppleTV in 720p and it looks beautiful. Makes me wish I would have fired this one up on the projector, but we have company this weekend :(

I've always wondered by Boba Fett is such a popular character. You're right in that he was a complete mystery, did almost nothing, and probably spoke what, three lines total in V-VI? I think he was just a fascination for people; evil, hidden face, mysterious. I don't consider him an important character, though -- in fact, if you think about it, he's probably the shallowest of characters, and in that sense about equal to Darth Maul, who was another complete mystery who did little to nothing, said even less, and somehow earned the fascination of the public. I say it's because of his makeup.

And his lightsabre.

I see where you're coming from, but I can't really agree with it. I don't think it has to do with growing older and more cynical, or being less willing to engage with a fantastical story. I mean, I was already old enough and cynical enough when the Matrix came out, and I was transfixed. I still experience that with movies, even if they require a major suspension of disbelief, but only when there is a solid story, good storytelling, and a focus on the goals and emotions of characters that are nicely fleshed out. Lucas became childish in V and VI, and by the time I-III came about the storytelling and character development took a major back seat to the technology and marketing. The story throughout I-III is horribly convoluted, and he cut all sorts of corners with the storytelling and character development to the point where it's just a bunch of cardboard characters spewing silly dialogue while they run around doing a bunch of things that either don't seem to make sense or I can't seem to care about.

First of all, Lucas did not direct V & VI.

Second, I'll give you VI, but how is V childish?

Finished up Cloud Atlas...overall I felt it was a very engaging film once I got accustomed to the structure. After the midway point I started anticipating each return to the various story lines. I think I was looking for more connections from story to story than were actually there. I'm not sure the reincarnation aspect was clear to me, but it's clear which themes were present throughout and the way each story was linked to the others via some sort of carryover through a medium, whether it be film, a diary, etc. I definitely was affected by it on an emotional level, particularly as things came to a conclusion, and I feel like I'm taking something away from seeing it. Overall, a beautiful film that is a helluva ride once you adjust to it. Easily the most ambitious movie I've ever seen.

Don't get that one either. V is clearly the darkest, best directed, and overall the best (IMO).

Finished up Cloud Atlas...overall I felt it was a very engaging film once I got accustomed to the structure. After the midway point I started anticipating each return to the various story lines. I think I was looking for more connections from story to story than were actually there. I'm not sure the reincarnation aspect was clear to me, but it's clear which themes were present throughout and the way each story was linked to the others via some sort of carryover through a medium, whether it be film, a diary, etc. I definitely was affected by it on an emotional level, particularly as things came to a conclusion, and I feel like I'm taking something away from seeing it. Overall, a beautiful film that is a helluva ride once you adjust to it. Easily the most ambitious movie I've ever seen.

I tend to agree. The Son-Mi 451 story was the one that just kind of ripped your heart out, though the island story with the Hanks / tribal character was also really emotional. I do think that the connections / reincarnation aspect is more about how these different stories are lived out in the same ways across the eras, and that humanity's capacity (in the same space) for brutality, empathy, love, and revelation is kind of the one constant. So the reincarnation is more felt/perceived and suggested than overt. And the big difference is in how we tell these stories and in how we blind ourselves to the mistakes and cruelties that repeat themselves.

Without giving too much away to those that hadn't seen it, the one story with the goofy British publicist was a pretty good way of mocking how trivial we are in the present even while there's a dose of menace and violence.

This is the Wachowski's next movie:

"Jupiter Ascending". In a universe where humans are near the bottom of the evolutionary ladder, a young destitute human woman is targeted for assassination by the Queen of the Universe because her very existence threatens to end the Queen's reign.

Starring Channing Tatum and Mila Kunis, also Terry Gilliam in an acting role. This movie is scheduled for July 2014.

Sounds like Snow White in outer space.

Don't get that one either. V is clearly the darkest, best directed, and overall the best (IMO).

I tend to agree. The Son-Mi 451 story was the one that just kind of ripped your heart out, though the island story with the Hanks / tribal character was also really emotional. I do think that the connections / reincarnation aspect is more about how these different stories are lived out in the same ways across the eras, and that humanity's capacity (in the same space) for brutality, empathy, love, and revelation is kind of the one constant. So the reincarnation is more felt/perceived and suggested than overt. And the big difference is in how we tell these stories and in how we blind ourselves to the mistakes and cruelties that repeat themselves.

Without giving too much away to those that hadn't seen it, the one story with the goofy British publicist was a pretty good way of mocking how trivial we are in the present even while there's a dose of menace and violence.

Well said. I don't know if it was the music that enhanced this for me, but the scene where Jim Sturgess has returned from his voyage on the ship and lays out his intentions to his father in-law, and then the father-in-law (Hugo Weaving is excellent...) gives him just a raw, honest assessment of where it will lead him, just really impacted me. And then his response on top of that was just like, wow...that was a big moment for me. And I agree about the Fabricants...that was definitely tough to watch at times. It's weird cause for some reason that relationship was the one that was the most believable to me. When she began looking at the pop up screens and soaking in as much of it as she could, it's like I could understand why He-ju (whatever his name was) was so smitten and willing to go to such lengths to save her. I've been thinking about it quite a bit since it ended...it really stays with you. There is a LOT to sort through!

Dr. I had used the Matrix to describe how close I came to catching 'a bullet' when I got sick a few years ago. I was still really out of it and couldn't hear a thing, but I watched him do this bend over backwards thingy which my wife explained to me later was him explaining how I barely made it. From that moment on he became Dr. Matrix to my wife.

This is the Wachowski's next movie:

"Jupiter Ascending". In a universe where humans are near the bottom of the evolutionary ladder, a young destitute human woman is targeted for assassination by the Queen of the Universe because her very existence threatens to end the Queen's reign.

Starring Channing Tatum and Mila Kunis, also Terry Gilliam in an acting role. This movie is scheduled for July 2014.

Sounds like Snow White in outer space.

I have to admit, I'm getting a bit tired of Channing Tatum. He's not nearly as annoying as Shia LeBouf, but it is starting to seem like he's in every movie. Now, Mila Kunis on the other hand...I WISH she was in every movie :thumbsup:

Dr. I had used the Matrix to describe how close I came to catching 'a bullet' when I got sick a few years ago. I was still really out of it and couldn't hear a thing, but I watched him do this bend over backwards thingy which my wife explained to me later was him explaining how I barely made it. From that moment on he became Dr. Matrix to my wife.

Mrs Beerball was a real champ during that time...I can't believe that was a few years ago...we were really worried about you man! I'm glad you found your inner Neo!

Alright I got through dark city on my 4th try! I don't know if it was because te scenery was so dark, the guys kept saying "sleep" , or bc it just wasn't a very good movie but I struggled to make it through.

I can see the analogy to the Matrix but I didn't really care for it. Took me 45 minutes to figure out what the hell was going on! The last 15 minutes were good but I need more. The Matrix on the other hand had me gripped from start to finish!

Oh well different strokes for different folks I guess.

Fair enough, although Lucas is credited with the story (not necessarily the screenplay). I suspect this is the way of representing the influence and final say he had over most aspects of the story.

Lots of people like V, and think its the best of the series. I'm not saying I didn't like it, but there are parts of the story and dialogue that are irritatingly simple and shallow, which I guess is my way of saying childish. Every interaction that Luke has with Yoda makes me cringe. V was the movie where R2D2, C3PO, and Chewie began the transition from real characters into toys. Personally, I never liked the way they handled the Lando character (way too shallow), or they way they handled dead Obi Wan (just let the character die gracefully, please). To me, all of those facets of the story were like they were written by an adolescent.

That's just my opinion, though, and I recognize that there are good parts to V, and that many people liked it a lot. Hell, I liked it. It's probably a bit much for me to characterize it as "childish," I'll admit, like VI certainly is. Maybe better to say its "adolescent."

Alright I got through dark city on my 4th try! I don't know if it was because te scenery was so dark, the guys kept saying "sleep" , or bc it just wasn't a very good movie but I struggled to make it through.

I can see the analogy to the Matrix but I didn't really care for it. Took me 45 minutes to figure out what the hell was going on! The last 15 minutes were good but I need more. The Matrix on the other hand had me gripped from start to finish!

Oh well different strokes for different folks I guess.

You have echoed a lot of the same stuff that I have heard from other people who were big fans of "The Matrix", and I told them to check out "Dark City" as a comparison.

I've heard the same phrases that you described: "It's too dark"(the scenery), "It took too long to get to the main point" etc.

Like I stated before, "The Matrix" had bigger name actors, eye popping special effects, martial arts action, crazy camera effects, and the "Cool" factor(everybody wearing trench coats & sunglasses).

"Dark City" has none of that, although there are some damn good special effects in it as well.

Both movies make you think, but "The Matrix" sucks you in from the start because of it's in-your-face beginning. "Dark City" has a more cryptic opening and leaves you with a what-the-hell-is-going-on feeling.

We learn early on who The Agents are and where they come from in "The Matrix". Whereas we don't fully understand who The Strangers are in "Dark City" until the movie is nearing it's end. And, wow, what a reveal it is.

Both movies have a good sci-fi angle, I just like how "Dark City" has a more mysterious feel to it.

I respect your opinion on both movies, and I realize that I am in the minority of liking "Dark City" more. But I'm glad that you took the time to check it out.

Both movies make you think, but "The Matrix" sucks you in from the start because of it's in-your-face beginning. "Dark City" has a more cryptic opening and leaves you with a what-the-hell-is-going-on feeling.

We learn early on who The Agents are and where they come from in "The Matrix". Whereas we don't fully understand who The Strangers are in "Dark City" until the movie is nearing it's end. And, wow, what a reveal it is.

Both movies have a good sci-fi angle, I just like how "Dark City" has a more mysterious feel to it.

I respect your opinion on both movies, and I realize that I am in the minority of liking "Dark City" more. But I'm glad that you took the time to check it out.

There will be spoilers in this post so beware....

I had the others pegged as aliens from the start. When John hit the guy on the billboard and cracked open his skull it was my assumption. The great "twist" to me was 2 fold. When John and the detective broke through the wall to find out they were in outer space I did not see that coming! I thought that they were just in a city that the others were messing with. The second was me thinking the Dr. Would still be on the others side. I thought the injection he was trying to make John take at the spa was a trick. Turns out he was trying to help after all. I know that isn't necessarily a twist but it was to me bc of y expectations.

I didn't hate it but I didn't love it either. Also I view you as very knowledgeable of movies in general and since both you and aj (his views of Star Wars vs. Matrix not withstanding :-p) recommending it I wanted to check it out. Thanks for recommending it!

• 2 weeks later...

Cloud Atlas is pretty complete emotional experience. Having Tom Tywker on board is a pretty great addition, too. It's not perfect but it hits some heights. Might depend a bit on how bothered you are by the makeup.

You guys hijacked the thread with cloud atlas.

jk

I'm probably netflix's best customer. I have the same movie for like a month or 2. One time I thought I had cancelled the subscription since I didnt get a movie for like 3 months. lol. My wife found a kid movie "Journey 2" and dropped it in the mail. We were both like what the???

Anyway sometime back when I was selecting movies about a few months ago I must have added Cloud Atlas. I got it last week. It took me 3 sittings to finish. Movie is shy of the 3 hour mark and I watch at night, so sometimes I fall asleep.

At the end of the movie, I wanted more. Weird huh? Before the movie ended I would rate it a 6 out of 10. But the fact that I wanted more at the end of it has to bring the rating up at least a point. So it was a 7 for me.

I would have liked the year stated at least once in each time sequence. Like 1849 or 2351 etc. I didnt know they were that far in the future till the credits rolled out.

2czdmab.jpg

Red Pill or Blue? Your choice.

Nice.

Edited by Clippers of Nfl

I would just like to add in my two cents to the Matrix conversation. I think, what kind of broke the 2 movies after the first, was more of a focus on Zion and alot of scenes outside of the Matrix. I haven't watched the whole trilogy in awhile, but I feel like that switching back and forth was jarring for alot of people, as those scenes were the exact opposite of what you become accustomed to after the first one.