What if... players would decide to share the cap

What if the players decided to split the cap and disregard their contracts?

135 million cap, divided by 53 split in 4 categories;

Starter: 3x share

Backup: 2x share

Inactive: 0.5x share

Practice squad: league minimum

10% reserved for injuries, left overs get distributed to base salaries at end of season.

30% of the cap reserved for win bonusses.

Wouldnt that create a huge sense of accountabillity, drive to win, drive to win starter spots and become better?

I mean the big name players earn enough outside of their contracts anyway?

10% reserved for injuries, left overs get distributed to base salaries at end of season.

Wouldnt that create a huge sense of accountabillity, drive to win, drive to win starter spots and become better?

Some players don't start but play more snaps than the guy who actually starts the game.

Why would the players want to do this?

Communist!! ;) Nah, I salute you for thinking outside the box, but I don't think it's very feasible. For one thing, NFL endorsement money is mostly for a handful of QBs. There's plenty of big-name players who don't get much $$ outside of their actual contract. Example: any offensive lineman, or any defensive player except Ray Lewis. I'm sure there are

available if a player really wants to pursue them, but do you really want Stevie Johnson spending all his time filming local commercials instead of working on his game?

Coaches would be making decisions that impact pay under this scenario, and you really don't want that happening for numerous reasons.

Good point.

Agents would be out of work; teams that couldn't outbid other teams, wouldn't get good players....

Also a good point. How the hell would the Bills ever acquire or retain talent? They couldn't even overpay! It would be kinda fun to see the superteams develop in the big markets and warm-weather cities, though. And any star QB could basically be a kingmaker if his contract was up. Just announce that he's going to team X, and every free agent will jump on board.

I think it should be pay per performance. per touchdown, first downs, yardage, ect. You don't contribute, you get minimum!

Yeah right, like that would ever happen.

Can't wait to see the team of 11 running backs all fighting each other for the ball!

We couldn't say Ralph is cheap

Some will always say "Ralph is cheap" no matter if it is true or not; Jerry Jones or Biilcheat are their idols.

I'm sure there are
available if a player really wants to pursue them, but do you really want Stevie Johnson spending all his time filming local commercials instead of working on his game?

Stevie doesn't workout in offseason, plenty of time . :death:

I'm all for it! Get 'er Done!!

Some players don't start but play more snaps than the guy who actually starts the game.

That I didnt consider, maybe an additional structure of a per snap bonus.

Why would the players want to do this?

Accountabillity, one team, one dream? Team above the single ego? Shared risks, shared rewards?

Agents would be out of work; teams that couldn't outbid other teams, wouldn't get good players....

Meh, let them be out of work. That said I didnt consider the free agent part of it at all.

I think it should be pay per performance. per touchdown, first downs, yardage, ect. You don't contribute, you get minimum!

Yeah right, like that would ever happen.

That would lead to in game competition within the team.

didn't the XFL have a pay structure like this or did everyone get the same salary?

I know for a fact that the so called star players got paid more, that said im unsure.

In a perfect world, why would the best starting QB in the league be paid as much as the worst starting QB in the league?

He wouldn't, winning QBs get paid more, reach the superbowl and there is another 400k (from cba). That aside the thinking that is behind it is that every result is a team effort, it's silly that one guy get's 100million and another 200k. A player holding out like Byrd is hurting his team and with that their pay (ability to reach incentives), in a situation like this there wouldnt be any discussion.

Bottomline is teams that have something extra going often make it all the way, see the Ravens (Lewis) and Steelers (the bus), if they need to fight for their pay grades dont you think they'll start putting in extra work in the offseason, train a bit longer during season, study a bit harder, stay away from the clubs, do everything for the win, their position and the team? Maybe it boils down to me thinking these guys werent putting in enough effort and dedication to be a winner.

Ow well it was just a crazy thought that I threw out there, players would never agree to it most likely purely because they value their own wallet over their teammates wallets.