(OT) LOST

duey

Thanks, Tom. I thought that I was hearing things when his first name was mentioned. As a former philosophy student, I found the reference intriguing and enlightened.

For instance, take this information on the real John Locke: In the Essay Concerning Human Understanding Locke examines the nature of the human mind and the process by which it knows the world. Repudiating the traditional doctrine of innate ideas, Locke believed that the mind is born blank, a tabula rasa upon which the world describes itself through the experience of the five senses. Knowledge arising from sensation is perfected by reflection, thus enabling humans to arrive at such ideas as space, time, and infinity.

Now apply this info to the character on the island. Very interesting indeed.

203737[/snapback]

Or apply it to Boone's experience...or Charlie's...or simply the whole island. Of course Locke would understand the nature of the island, being John Locke, and knowing the "tabula rasa" nature the island creates in everyone's ideation, uses it to set up first Charlie and then Boone in situations where they "experientially" overcome their respective addictions. (I can certainly justify that in Boone's case; I'd have to rewatch Charlie's episode to see if I can justify it for him.)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yah i hafta give props to boone for nailing shannon...way to go...neither nor my roomies see anything wrong with this, plus shes hot...

as for locke, the guy definitely walks the thin line between genious and insanity...but i agree with whoever said that hes almost become part of the island...hes got this great way of showing/telling people what they needed to see/hear...

The entire John Locke analysis in this thread is fascinating...well done boys. I bet you could find a tread on either the Jets or Fins boards that are half as intelligent as this one.

And I don't blame Boone for one moment for wanting, and getting, to bang Shannon. She's a definite hottie (though with her attitude, I wasn't all that upset that she had died). Imagine poor Boone's teen years with that one running around. :doh:

Sawyer in the police station was amusing. There is another story looming.

Did anyone get a glimpse of the monster? It appeared to have no form. Obviously, it isn't real,  it's in their heads.

204048[/snapback]

The minds of the survivors are definitely influencing what's happening on the island, or more likely, what they think is happening on the island.

Remember the 1st or 2nd episode where the little black kid reads a comic that has a ginat polar bear in it. Then a few scenes later, the polar bear shows up on the island before Sawyer shots it dead. The preview of the next show had that same kid about to get attacked by another polar bear.

Did anyone get a glimpse of the monster? It appeared to have no form. Obviously, it isn't real,  it's in their heads.

204048[/snapback]

I don't know about that...remember the pilot? Kate, Jack and Charlie all saw something snatch up the pilot and do nasty to him. I think the fact that no one knows what the hell it is is part of the mystery of the island. There's something there alright (sounds like Godzilla, right!?!). The island did, however, use Boone's fear of this beast as the mechanism to have Shannon "killed."

Sawyer in the police station was amusing. There is another story looming.

204048[/snapback]

Trying to keeping with the John Locke theme, I think the monster is some sort of outward representation of the experience of fear or loss. At least, that makes sense from Boone's point of view, and I can probably force Locke's confrontation with it to make sense (for starters, how about: he confronted his fear, and he's the only one on the island who's truly at peace). As for the pilot getting chomped...I don't know, but from Boone's experience we now know that that wasn't necessarily real, was it?

I don't know about that...remember the pilot?  Kate, Jack and Charlie all saw something snatch up the pilot and do nasty to him.  I think the fact that no one knows what the hell it is is part of the mystery of the island.  There's something there alright (sounds like Godzilla, right!?!).  The island did, however, use Boone's fear of this beast as the mechanism to have Shannon "killed."

204108[/snapback]

Interesting the way we took the same thing in two different directions. You say the beast is real because of what he did to the pilot. I say the pilot's mauling may not be real because of the monster's involvement.

Of course, if I really wanted to milk the John Locke philosophy angle, I'd point out that our difference in perception of that is a good example of ideation through experience and the evidence provided by the senses... :doh: But I won't, as that's seriously over the top. It's the rare TV show that can not only demonstrate but even involve the audience in the thematic principles it's trying to outline.

Soem very interesting ideas here. The great thing about this show is that it makes you actually think. It's a smart show, even if it is merely entertainment.

I'll retract what I said before, the monster must exist in some form, as it did kill the pilot. The French woman alluded to it and everyone on the island saw the trees being knocked around. I have no explantion right now.

Then there is the buried metal object. Any theories about that?

Interesting the way we took the same thing in two different directions.  You say the beast is real because of what he did to the pilot.  I say the pilot's mauling may not be real because of the monster's involvement.

Of course, if I really wanted to milk the John Locke philosophy angle, I'd point out that our difference in perception of that is a good example of ideation through experience and the evidence provided by the senses...  :doh:  But I won't, as that's seriously over the top.  It's the rare TV show that can not only demonstrate but even involve the audience in the thematic principles it's trying to outline.

204122[/snapback]

That's a point I meant to bring up earlier...I have to applaud the writers of this show. Thank you for making Lost such a departure from the usual primetime fare we're being subjected to.

Now, I would like to introduce the John Locke philosophy angle to the Drew vs. JP discussion...JUST KIDDING! :doh:

And again regarding the "monster," if you can have a tropical island supporting a number of huge polar bears (yeah, I remember how they got there), then why can't there be some sort of Jurassic Park reject living there too? Just food for thought.

my wife loves the show, my simple mind just keeps getting lost! i don't get it

Tonights episode was fantastic!  So much stuff to talk about!

First of all, there is no doubt that Locke has become part of what the island is.  In fact, he is a facilitator for the things that the island does to people.  I had a feeling that whole thing with Shannon getting chomped on was in Boone's head, but I liked it when Locke said, "It made you see THAT?"  What a great story line!

And how about Shannon sleeping with Boone!  Like my wife said..."A little strange...and a little erotic!"  :doh:

Nice to see Sawyer as he was dragged through the police station...there's def more on that to come.

How about when Hurley stepped on the sea urchin, and then is telling the Korean guy to pee on it!  I just about pissed myself when Hurley was pointed to the guys groin, and the Korean guy was like WTF?!?!?  :doh:  :)

I'm waiting for Claire to resurface...it's been a couple of days as they said tonight.

The compass being f'ed up is another indication that this island just ain't right.

Lastly...Locke is da man!

203532[/snapback]

And again regarding the "monster," if you can have a tropical island supporting a number of huge polar bears (yeah, I remember how they got there), then why can't there be some sort of Jurassic Park reject living there too?  Just food for thought.

204149[/snapback]

Who says the island "exists"? All I know is that they're experiencing being stranded on an island...just like Boone experienced his sister being killed.

There's a pretty cool theory that they are stuck in some kind of 4 year loop, and guys like Locke and the black lady and the Korean lady have been through it before and therefore remember things explicitly or subconsciously (the black woman says she knows her husband is alive, Locke seems to know all this stuff - even at one point telling Boone "It's going to rain in one minute", the korean lady knows how to make use of all the resources on the island etc.) - then maybe one has to overcome some obstacle to graduate out of the loop. And the monster may be some incarnation whose purpose is to try to keep things a certain way.

If you've got a lot of time it is discussed here at length:

ABC plot MB thread

In response to FEZMID, I did know that Sayid did have the maps, and that they were in French. So that blows my theory out of the water about Locke & Sayid.

Still we still don't know who knocked Sayid out, that episode. There are other things we still don't know:

When Jack found his dad's coffin it was empty, why?

Why did Ethan abduct Claire?

What's the signifigance of Claire's dream when she see's Locke's eyes are the backgammon pieces?

What the hell is that creature on the island?

God, I love this show.

Finally in regards to the kid seeing the polar bear in the comic book, and then the polar bear attacks the group. Is that scene sort of an homage to the movie "Forbidden Planet"? Could this be whats happening on the island? Are the survivors creating their own ID monsters?

Just food for thought.

In response to FEZMID, I did know that Sayid did have the maps, and that they were in French. So that blows my theory out of the water about Locke & Sayid.

Actually, I read part of the link that stevewin posted above, and someone had an explanation for having the maps - maybe the stuff he found was real (from previous people there or whatever), but that the woman (Danielle) was a figment of his imagination.

CW

Who says the island "exists"?  All I know is that they're experiencing being stranded on an island...just like Boone experienced his sister being killed.

204202[/snapback]

Hey...who know's if we're all evening watching this damn show. :doh:

And while we're at it...maybe we just imagined that the Bills missed the playoffs, and in fact, they'll be hosting a game this weekend (of course, we'll all be missing it 'cause we LOST!).

Fezmid Posted Today, 01:18 PM

QUOTE(MarkVaderr50 @ Jan 13 2005, 01:16 PM)

Actually, I read part of the link that stevewin posted above, and someone had an explanation for having the maps - maybe the stuff he found was real (from previous people there or whatever), but that the woman (Danielle) was a figment of his imagination.

CW

Hmmm, maybe my theory is not so far out there. :doh:

Hey...who know's if we're all evening watching this damn show.  :doh:

And while we're at it...maybe we just imagined that the Bills missed the playoffs, and in fact, they'll be hosting a game this weekend (of course, we'll all be missing it 'cause we LOST!).

204305[/snapback]

For all I know...you don't exist. Who are you?

Personally, I think it's a matter of the survivors on the island not having enough cowbell...