Johnny Football: Drinking problem?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://deadspin.com/...nziel-820594717

I guess aj McCarron felt like throwing a barb at his manning academy roommate tonight.

Yeah, apparently all these guys were able to wake up in the morning and fulfill their obligations and instruct the high school kids who look up to them:

Others attending include Allstate Sugar Bowl Most Valuable Player Teddy Bridgewater of Louisville, A.J. McCarron of national champion Alabama, Zach Mettenberger of LSU, Nick Montana of Tulane, Tajh Boyd of Clemson, Jeff Driskel of Florida, James Franklin of Missouri, Tanner Price of West Forest, Marcus Mariota of Oregon, Aaron Murray of Georgia, Tyler Russell of Mississippi State, Connor Shaw of South Carolina, Justin Worley of Tennessee, Scotty Young of Louisiana Tech, Bo Wallace of Ole Miss, D.J. Williams of Grambling, son of Doug Williams, and Kolton Browning of ULM.

http://www.sportsnol...ticipants-.html

Yeah, apparently all these guys were able to wake up in the morning and fulfill their obligations and instruct the high school kids who look up to them:

Others attending include Allstate Sugar Bowl Most Valuable Player Teddy Bridgewater of Louisville, A.J. McCarron of national champion Alabama, Zach Mettenberger of LSU, Nick Montana of Tulane, Tajh Boyd of Clemson, Jeff Driskel of Florida, James Franklin of Missouri, Tanner Price of West Forest, Marcus Mariota of Oregon, Aaron Murray of Georgia, Tyler Russell of Mississippi State, Connor Shaw of South Carolina, Justin Worley of Tennessee, Scotty Young of Louisiana Tech, Bo Wallace of Ole Miss, D.J. Williams of Grambling, son of Doug Williams, and Kolton Browning of ULM.

http://www.sportsnol...ticipants-.html

So what. For nearly everyone on that list--this is likely as close to playing with or near or in the same league as a Manning for the rest of their lives. The biggest name on that list is AJ McCarron--who is this point owes a significant amount of his public notariety to a lustful Brent Mussberger.

This story has become Sgt Dan after the war. I just don't understand the point of it. Are the hand wringers posting here really concerned about this kid's future and what this might mean for him? If not, why all the hubbub? What's the point of speculating whether he may be "the next Ryan Leaf" (nevermind the poor analogy)? So what if he does flame out? How does that make this relevant?

When his "problem" affects his ability to do what he does on the field, then the genesis of this thread may make sense.

So what. For nearly everyone on that list--this is likely as close to playing with or near or in the same league as a Manning for the rest of their lives. The biggest name on that list is AJ McCarron--who is this point owes a significant amount of his public notariety to a lustful Brent Mussberger.

This story has become Sgt Dan after the war. I just don't understand the point of it. Are the hand wringers posting here really concerned about this kid's future and what this might mean for him? If not, why all the hubbub? What's the point of speculating whether he may be "the next Ryan Leaf" (nevermind the poor analogy)? So what if he does flame out? How does that make this relevant?

When his "problem" affects his ability to do what he does on the field, then the genesis of this thread may make sense.

thats pretty well a whos who list of CFB qbs WEO. Thats not to say that they all succeed and manziel fails. just like the difference between a 4.4 forty and a 4.5 doesnt write the whole story on a WR, and a 12 on the wonderlic doesnt mean a guy cant be successful.

manziel, for having only a year and change in the spotlight, has racked up a lot of boneheaded "come on, really? hes not dumb enough to do that" moments. it doesnt mean hes going to flame out, he might be a HOF qb, even if those continue.... but it is a red flag on a guy that many on here were advocating throwing the season to draft before EJ.

i dont think anyones losing sleep over it, so quit acting like anyones making it a huge drama. his behavior is a red flag, whether you want to acknowledge that or not. doesnt mean hes a terrible person or going to fail or... but for his own sake, life would probably be better if he could get things like this to stop happening.

He's only 20, he has the medical condition known as "20-itis". Symptoms include a lack of maturity, too much drinking, etc. Disease known to effect approximately 75-90% of all 20-22 year olds. Symptoms can be exasperated by being a celebrity. Remedies include getting older and taking on more responsibility.

thats pretty well a whos who list of CFB qbs WEO. Thats not to say that they all succeed and manziel fails. just like the difference between a 4.4 forty and a 4.5 doesnt write the whole story on a WR, and a 12 on the wonderlic doesnt mean a guy cant be successful.

manziel, for having only a year and change in the spotlight, has racked up a lot of boneheaded "come on, really? hes not dumb enough to do that" moments. it doesnt mean hes going to flame out, he might be a HOF qb, even if those continue.... but it is a red flag on a guy that many on here were advocating throwing the season to draft before EJ.

i dont think anyones losing sleep over it, so quit acting like anyones making it a huge drama. his behavior is a red flag, whether you want to acknowledge that or not. doesnt mean hes a terrible person or going to fail or... but for his own sake, life would probably be better if he could get things like this to stop happening.

I don't know, NS, until this episode, his only other boneheaded episode was the arrest befroe last season. Did it have any effect on his play of commitment to the game--the only answer is absolutely not. So why should this be anything than a source of embarrassment to him?

This thread's existence is a testament to the "huge drama" fabricated around this thin cloud of a story. It has also been dogged repeatedly in the press. Someone here even suggested that the NCAA has to crack down on JM. To suggest that this episode has affected his draft status before a single game has been played is the very definition of "making it a huge drama" and it just silly at this point. A "red flag"? Who cares? He sinks or swims. If I was this kid's father, I would have told him to get his ass out there and finish this camp, hangover or not. F Archie Manning.

Don't suggest I'm exaggerating the huge drama. The drama is now the story. That's my point.

Edited by Mr. WEO

I don't think anyone really knows whether he has a problem based on the info we have...but if you want to know what it looks like when a sporting prodigy screws up a pro career with booze, google "Zac Guildford." Long story short: It's not like Johnny Football stumbled into a crowded bar bleeding and completely nude, and started a fistfight with an elderly stranger.

http://www.nzherald....jectid=10765719

Although somehow he's lost and regained his roster spot twice since then. So maybe the message for Johnny Football is live for today....you can always seek redemption later.

Edited by jester43

I don't know, NS, until this episode, his only other boneheaded episode was the arrest befroe last season. Didn't have any effect on his play of commitment to the game--the only answer is absolutely not. So why should this be anything than a source of embarrassment to him?

This thread's existence is a testament to the "huge drama" fabricated around this thin cloud of a story. It has also been dogged repeatedly in the press. Someone here even suggested that the NCAA has to crack down on JM. To suggest that this episode has affected his draft status before a single game has been played is the very definition of "making it a huge drama" and it just silly at this point. A "red flag"? Who cares? He sinks or swims. If I was this kid's father, I would have told him to get his ass out there and finish this camp, hangover or not. F Archie Manning.

Don't suggest I'm exaggerating the huge drama. The drama is now the story. That's my point.

touche, on the absurd NCAA rant. i wrote it off and forgot it was in the thread even.

in the category of boneheaded moments, id include the cant wait to get out of here tweet too. but that isnt a drinking problem as much as a common sense one, which is where i think the issue lies (which also manifests in poor decisions with his drinking)... and i know ill get bashed by the folks saying hes a loyal friend and theyd put themself in the middle of the fight - but both getting in the middle of a fight while out underage drinking during a battle for playing time, AND giving the cop your fake ID in an attempt to get out of it are in my head two seperate issues. much like being booted from the camp and then showing up at the bars that night. only 2 stories, but layers and layers of dumb.

i also have it on pretty solid local sources that his last trip to new orleans (superbowl? i dont 100% remember which event it was - i could double check but its not hugely relevant to the story) had a little shoving match in the streets late at night which given his previous arrest you would think would be the last thing in the world hed want to get himself into.

theres some smoke. maybe theres a fire. no more, no less. we certainly only get glimpses into these guys personal lives and the glimpses into johnnys have had some questionable decision making... but who knows how representative those glimpses are. from the rumor mill it sounds possible they are representative. even dating back to a rumored (and im aware SEC recruiting rumors are to be taken with a grain of salt) arrest as a minor as well. its the offseason, its quiet, he decided to step up to the plate and let the spotlight be on him in a negative fashion again.

Edited by NoSaint

F Archie Manning.

I see that WEO is up to his antics again, much like a one-legged man in an a$$-kicking contest, and just as he seems to enjoy it.

To suggest this is some overblown, mountain-out-of-a-molehill media frenzy is ridiculous. Johnny ballgame brought this upon himself by getting all dehydrated & "sleeping through his alarm" - and by extension, blowing off the commitment he made to be a part of the Manning Passing Camp. It's that simple.

Archie/Peyton/Eli are not in any way playing the holier-than-thou 'how-dare-you' angle, they are simply running a camp for young QBs with their name on it. And Johnny has now, through his actions, set a fine example for all those greenhorns to learn from - mess up your commitments, and you may not enjoy the bad publicity and/or consequences you will have to deal with.

Regardless of the damage-control spin the story has now taken on, I salute Archie for kicking Johnny out on his hung-over arse. And is it any wonder that his boys are making it quite well in the NFL, and life in general?

touche, on the absurd NCAA rant. i wrote it off and forgot it was in the thread even.

in the category of boneheaded moments, id include the cant wait to get out of here tweet too. but that isnt a drinking problem as much as a common sense one, which is where i think the issue lies (which also manifests in poor decisions with his drinking)... and i know ill get bashed by the folks saying hes a loyal friend and theyd put themself in the middle of the fight - but both getting in the middle of a fight while out underage drinking during a battle for playing time, AND giving the cop your fake ID in an attempt to get out of it are in my head two seperate issues. much like being booted from the camp and then showing up at the bars that night. only 2 stories, but layers and layers of dumb.

i also have it on pretty solid local sources that his last trip to new orleans (superbowl? i dont 100% remember which event it was - i could double check but its not hugely relevant to the story) had a little shoving match in the streets late at night which given his previous arrest you would think would be the last thing in the world hed want to get himself into.

theres some smoke. maybe theres a fire. no more, no less.

Again, we are at the point now where we are talking about a few scuffles and some bar hopping and reportedly being too hung over for Archie. The tweet about getting out of that backwoods fishbowl he's is is just teenaged angst. The kid's scrappy and he likes to brawl a bit. This will suit an undersized QB well in the NFL.

The evidence is clear that, to this point, none of this has affected his play. That being the case, until he proves otherwise, I have no reason to believe that this episode will have any more significance than his last off-season one.

If the social media public hounded Jim Kelly at Miami like they do now, who knows what we would have heard about. And all for nothing.

I see that WEO is up to his antics again, much like a one-legged man in an a$$-kicking contest, and just as he seems to enjoy it.

To suggest this is some overblown, mountain-out-of-a-molehill media frenzy is ridiculous. Johnny ballgame brought this upon himself by getting all dehydrated & "sleeping through his alarm" - and by extension, blowing off the commitment he made to be a part of the Manning Passing Camp. It's that simple.

Archie/Peyton/Eli are not in any way playing the holier-than-thou 'how-dare-you' angle, they are simply running a camp for young QBs with their name on it. And Johnny has now, through his actions, set a fine example for all those greenhorns to learn from - mess up your commitments, and you may not enjoy the bad publicity and/or consequences you will have to deal with.

Regardless of the damage-control spin the story has now taken on, I salute Archie for kicking Johnny out on his hung-over arse. And is it any wonder that his boys are making it quite well in the NFL, and life in general?

Yep. WEO is the Drama Queen he bitches about. Once you realize this, all of his posts get taken with a big bag of salt.

Again, we are at the point now where we are talking about a few scuffles and some bar hopping and reportedly being too hung over for Archie. The tweet about getting out of that backwoods fishbowl he's is is just teenaged angst. The kid's scrappy and he likes to brawl a bit. This will suit an undersized QB well in the NFL.

The evidence is clear that, to this point, none of this has affected his play. That being the case, until he proves otherwise, I have no reason to believe that this episode will have any more significance than his last off-season one.

If the social media public hounded Jim Kelly at Miami like they do now, who knows what we would have heard about. And all for nothing.

thats fine, but if he struggles with "maturity issues" in the nfl, you dont get to come back and act like there was no reason to wonder if he would.

and i dont give him a totally free pass on the backwoods fishbowl that texas football hero johnny football choseto swim in. he might not have expected the national attention so fast but he certainly was well aware of what going to A&M meant for a kid in his position. if in 9 months hes forced to go to a town hes not happy with, how will it effect him?

really all this amounts to is "i wonder" which isnt a weird discussion given the year he had.

as for the jim kelly comments - its a different league with different stresses and pressures. who knows how jim wouldve reacted to being thrust into a cellphone camera, twitter, 24 hour news based league. he mightve kept his nose clean, he mightve had some meltdowns, he might have just been the same old guy.

Edited by NoSaint

Yep. WEO is the Drama Queen he bitches about. Once you realize this, all of his posts get taken with a big bag of salt.

Exactly, irrational responses will get a few innocent nibblers to re-explain themselves about five or six times, then WEO marvels that the thread can grow to twenty-six pages over 'nothing'

He's only 20, he has the medical condition known as "20-itis". Symptoms include a lack of maturity, too much drinking, etc. Disease known to effect approximately 75-90% of all 20-22 year olds. Symptoms can be exasperated by being a celebrity. Remedies include getting older and taking on more responsibility.

lol....amazing how many people forget what it was like.

Unless the guy start holding up liquor stores or raping girls, I pretty much could give a sh-- how many beers he drinks.

Drama Queen?? That would be this guy...

My point is the Face of college football -with a nickname to match- missed an agreed upon meeting with League connotations because he was breaking the law the night before. This, on the heels of a highly touted college player -with cover ups for like indiscriminate actions- who, as a pro, is now in jail for murder charges. I see this as a great opportunity to right the wrongs that have been allowed to manifest themselves through the years to despicable levels now.

"Indiscriminant actions"?? You just linked Manziel to AH! And skipping a football camp is a historically despicable moral low for the NCAA?

I don't know Manziel from Adam. But as arguably the most recognized name in NCAAF right now, I'm just hoping against hope his much publicized illegal activity is the camel back breaking straw that creates all new protocol for the privilege of a college scholarship and invitation to the pros.

Much publicized criminal activity? New protocol! Blood alcohol tests!

Getting kicked out of the Manning Camp <see 'Shield' choir boys> for 'conduct unbecoming' amid the myriad of current negative press is very likely going to have consequences going forward on many fronts. From the NCAA's alleged entitlement institution to League Top Cop Roger Goodell, the time has come for a headline grabbing Poster Boy to feel the heat and take the rap in dramatic, sweeping rule changes, up to and including lifetime ban for scholarships and invitation to the pros. The entitlement axium has far reaching tentacles, including local Law Enforcement. IMO, (ok, my hope is..) we've reached the breaking point of a failed concept and radical changes have to be instituted to ebb the flow. How many businesses hire convicts?

Lifetime ban for Johhny's rap! Breaking point! Radical change!

I can't think of a better icon for such drastic change than the 'Johnny Football Rule'

(I'm still waiting for you to explain what this is)

This is some of the most bat s**t crazy drama I have ever seen here over soemthing as trivial as this. If you understood irony...well, that would be ironic too. Nevermind.

thats fine, but if he struggles with "maturity issues" in the nfl, you dont get to come back and act like there was no reason to wonder if he would.

and i dont give him a totally free pass on the backwoods fishbowl that texas football hero johnny football choseto swim in. he might not have expected the national attention so fast but he certainly was well aware of what going to A&M meant for a kid in his position. if in 9 months hes forced to go to a town hes not happy with, how will it effect him?

Fine, if he has maturity issues as a 21 year old NL QB, I'll cop to that.

As for the fishbowl, yes he certainly signed on for the job. Doesn't mean he can hold it together 24 hrs a day, year round.

All of this is over a single incident which involved no crime or bad intent. No one here has or had anything to say last season about the character of this kid (despite his "criminal record"), except that we should tank the season to get him. Now he oversleeps or is hingover for a football camp and he's all about red flags and rule changes.

I'm just pointing the absurdity of the vitriol coming out over this. It's completely disproportionate to the "crime". Guys like hankbullough and the like can't figure this out.

Unless the guy start holding up liquor stores or raping girls, I pretty much could give a sh-- how many beers he drinks.

You aren't allowed to say that here.

Hmm, I seem to remember a two time Stanley Cup winner from Buffalo being similarly aflicted... by the name of Patrick.

The fact that he is an immature brat at 20 is not a surprise. He only has a drinking problem if he can't control it. Better yet, he should probably just not go out anymore. Welcome to the big leagues boy, you are not in Texas anymore.

There are too many people out there willing to take a kid like this down. I hate to say this, but the days of being unknown and protected are over with. Daddy and Mommy can't protect him anymore. No time like the present to grow up. He is going to need to if he wants to succeed.

Somehow, Kane seems to have taken the rough edges off his public appearance, or at least isn't doing dumb things in a place where he can get caught at. I am not judging the kid, I did my fair share of stupidity. There just came a time around his age where it was obvious that it was time to grow up.

Fine, if he has maturity issues as a 21 year old NL QB, I'll cop to that.

As for the fishbowl, yes he certainly signed on for the job. Doesn't mean he can hold it together 24 hrs a day, year round.

All of this is over a single incident which involved no crime or bad intent. No one here has or had anything to say last season about the character of this kid (despite his "criminal record"), except that we should tank the season to get him. Now he oversleeps or is hingover for a football camp and he's all about red flags and rule changes.

I'm just pointing the absurdity of the vitriol coming out over this. It's completely disproportionate to the "crime". Guys like hankbullough and the like can't figure this out.

any serious vitriol is silly, but i dont think that this should be some untouchable topic just cause hes a kid too. there is a balance to be had.

and to be fair, ive been questioning his maturity since before most of the board knew his name and totally fell in love with him... but at that point he was just some backup qb with a funny nickname at a program expected to be beaten up in the SEC. kid comes with a bit of a reputation, even if hes only had a few "incidents." hes played well though. we will see if this are just silly media fueled dramas, or a sign of cracks in the shiny heisman exterior that may get worse.

let the rule changes and burn down the NCAA offices post go. just because one guy melted down doesnt mean the whole world is.

Edited by NoSaint

Your point has already been made and refuted by some.

I recently posted this:

For some reason a lot of people posting here are having a hard time distinguishing between a 20 year old BMOC going out drinking on any given night and the same person doing it before a big event (being a celebrity instructor at The Manning Passing Academy is a big deal for all involved) and after being kicked out from said big event.

The guy does something to draw significant negative attention to himself and his response to that is to go out drinking?

I was an irresponsible partyer too but Johnny's actions are a little bit more significant than just going out for a little fun.

He couldn't take ONE night off?

He possibly has a drinking problem.

How would you respond to my comments? It would be nice to move the discussion forward.

Same question to you, KD.

He gets kicked out of a camp where he's supposed to be an instructor and a role model and his response is to go out drinking.

This is a valid question and a valid discussion. Except for one poster (who's an excellent poster btw) there has been no "hand-wringing" and "vitriol."

This episode in Johnny Football's life can be overblown just as it can be blown off and downplayed as if nothing happened.

The appropriate response is somewhere between those two extremes.

Another question for you guys:

What about all the other 20-something QBs who were instructors at the camp that were somehow able to fulfill their obligations and actually instruct the high school kids who look to them as role models and examples?

Rather than repeat the same old "it's no big deal," how about someone take a poke at these questions.