Seems like a number of Cardinal players are badmouthing Kolb

I would of preferred we kept Fitz here for 1 more season to groom and help EJ along instead of bringing in Kolb, but the fans already tied the noose around Fitz

Ditto. But the Bills preferred that as well, and tried to renegotiate the contract, and Fitz had none of it... hence why he's on another team now.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, the origional assertion is a bit of a reach. I think he's alluding more to the idea that they had no "one" starting QB due to injuries etc. It caused discontinuity and they could never get a rhythm. Its not that he's badmouthing Kolb per se, just the QB carousel they had last year.

Yes.

FWIW (and it might not be a whole lot), none of the QB criticisms have mentioned Kolb by name.

This at least has to be mentioned.

Fitzgerald said he had not had a real QB since Kurt Warner retired. So FWIW is worth nothing.

Yea, why would it be directed the guy they traded a defensive probowler for and gave a big contract to when they complain about not having a qb

Because he went 3-2 as a starter for them last year, and had a hand in winning another game?

Because he went 3-2 as a starter for them last year, and had a hand in winning another game?

he was a mediocre qb, hence he was available for us. that doesnt mean hes going to suck or we are awful, but i think its fair to assume that the comment was directed at the entirety of the qb room... perhaps even ESPECIALLY at kolb, if anyone, given he was the guy that was supposed to be the qb of the future. doesnt mean the comment was right, but i dont know how anyone excuses kolb from it unless they are just hoping its not true since hes our guy now.

If Kolb wins the starting job this year, you'll be badmouthing him by week three at the earliest. His deer-in-headlights pocket "presence" is bordering on Trent Edwards-like. And for all of the criticisms of his teams' pass protection, the fact remains that Kolb makes Paul Posluszny look like Lou Gehrig...he's as brittle as a Ming vase.

he was a mediocre qb, hence he was available for us. that doesnt mean hes going to suck or we are awful, but i think its fair to assume that the comment was directed at the entirety of the qb room... perhaps even ESPECIALLY at kolb, if anyone, given he was the guy that was supposed to be the qb of the future. doesnt mean the comment was right, but i dont know how anyone excuses kolb from it unless they are just hoping its not true since hes our guy now.

I don't consider Kolb to be "our guy" since I want EJ to start ASAP, and I was never a big fan of Kolb to begin with. I just don't see Campbell's statement as reflecting on a guy who only played in 6 games for them last year, but was involved in 4 of their 5 wins.

Well. Where to start here?

A QB who is fast at making reads and getting the ball out can be more effective behind a poor line. Play-calling that creates confusion and sets up quick plays can also help. That part is true.

Can "a good and decisive QB do well behind any line"? Not exactly. As the Rams line deteriorated from "the greatest show on turf" while Martz continued to play his vertical WC variant, Kurt Warner took more and more of a beating until he became an ineffective QB. Several years of R&R later, he got another chance, and hey presto one team's ineffective discard became another team's Ticket to the Dance. And Warner's on the record stating that he retired in AZ because he thought he was going to get killed or badly hurt playing behind that line. And while he's not a runner, with his arena league background Warner always had fast reads and a fast release when the plays allowed and the ability to move around in the pocket to foil pressure.

On any given Sunday, I have seen Brady, Brees, and Rodgers all look pathetically ineffective whilst playing "run for your Life" behind a line that was, on that particular Sunday, porous.

So is it the QB or is it the line? Yes. It's both. A fast-thinking QB with great pocket instincts can compensate for a less than stellar line. But no QB can overcome a totally terrible line.

True. Specifically in referencing Kolb, Warner has said that no QB could succeed behind that line.

Kolb will face his share of challenges in Buffalo, Mostly an inexperienced receiving corps.

He may well show as a good game manager. Fitz's skill set was more limited IMO. I'm glad he's gone.

I think Kolb starts ahead of EJ. EJ is not Luck, RG3 or Russell Wilson. He needs grooming. The big unanswered question is how he will respond to it.