• Jeremy McDaniel
    • Russel Copeland
    • Bucky Brooks
    • Don Beebe
    • Al Edwards
    • Reggie Germany
    • Antonio Brown

I'd have to say none of the above.

I don't remember any of these players having an outstanding 1st year like Reed's before his play went completely south. Some of these players had high hopes amjong fans as they started and never realized them. Others had slow starts and then paid off (definitely Moulds).

I think there was justifiable excitement about Reed with the first year numbers he put up with Moulds and Price allowing him to pick on LBs and 4th or 5th DBs, but the outage in play when he was asked to step up to the #2 slot is very different.

I'd have to say none of the above.

I don't remember any of these players having an outstanding 1st year like Reed's before his play went completely south. 

202754[/snapback]

IMO Reed's first year may have been promising, but hardly "outstanding".

I think people are in a "rush to judgemnet" concerning Josh Reed. He had a nice rookie season, had trouble adjusting to a new position in his second year, and spent a good chunk of his third year injured. I am not saying that he is an elite receiver, but given how it took about 6 weeks for our offense to finally start clicking a little this season (Reed was hurt for most of that time) it is not unreasonable to think that he can not still turn into a serviceable third receiver. When Reed returned from his injury this season, he had very few opportunities to shine...and yeah, he dropped a few. Name me a Bills receiver (save Lee Evans) who didn't this year. I would be shocked if the Bills don't give him one more season to establish himself. Remember, a very good receiver in Eric Moulds has looked pretty average in the same offenses over the last three years...

IMO Reed's first year may have been promising, but hardly "outstanding".

202758[/snapback]

Whether one terms it "outstanding", "notable", or whatever strikes me as a matter of semantics so whatever word you want to use is fine by me.

What I was trying to communicate was that fans generally felt fine about us letting Price walk away because they were pretty confident that Reed was going to fit right in at #2 WR to replace him,

I think that such confidence was actually reasonable in this case not simply because of Reed's resume where his winning the Biletnikoff award his senior year as the best colleger WR made it pretty reasonable to expect great things from him as a pro, but he had actually hauled in 37 or so catches as a rookie and put up 500+ yards.

While these numbers are actually less than Evans put up this year (one can argue the semantics of whether these numbers were "outstanding" or not - yes for a rookie in my view no for an NFL WR in my view) I think they made expectations of a great sophomore campaign pretty reasonable.

I actually tried to put a damper on the hopes or predictions of many fans who seemed sure that Reed would equal Peerless' 2002 numbers by pointing out that even if Reed doubled his rookie numbers for catches, yards and TDs I would consider it a great year for a #2 WR.

As it was, I think Reed is pretty notable in how his 2nd year #s disappointed after the "outstanding", "notable", whatever rookie start.