Bills Top WRs

Owen

IMO, TJ Graham is a huge liability @ WR... I'm not worried because I'm confident he won't make the final roster. -Can't wait 'till the day he's cut.

IMO, #34fan is a huge liability @ Posting... I'm not worried because I'm confident he won't make the #2K poster. -Can't wait 'till the day he's cut.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lets put it this way! Is smith one of the best 5 play-maker's on our offense? If not then he wont be seeing any playing time according to our new OC. Second should a player who has proven to have limited upside be payed 4 million to cover kicks? Or maybe have a 20 yard kickoff return? Third is there any other player on the team that could get 2 or 3 yards out of the wildcat? I pretty sure there is. bottom line we don't need him!

come on Vet, give Brad some love, "Hate" is such a strong word, there are much more important things in life worth hating than a nice guy, productive fooball player, who gives back to the community. :rolleyes:

ya. I'm sure most people saw that Aaron Hernandez gave back to the community too. Look how that turned out. I don't give these guys credit for being community supporters. They are paid to do that. To be faces of the franchise. Heck, the teams practically do all the work for these guys when it comes to that stuff.

Aybe hate IS a strong word. If I saw the guy in the street, I wouldn't walk up to him and punch him in the face, but I can tell you in not crossing a crack in the sidewalk to ask for his autograph either.

lets put it this way! Is smith one of the best 5 play-maker's on our offense? If not then he wont be seeing any playing time according to our new OC. Second should a player who has proven to have limited upside be payed 4 million to cover kicks? Or maybe have a 20 yard kickoff return? Third is there any other player on the team that could get 2 or 3 yards out of the wildcat? I pretty sure there is. bottom line we don't need him!

well said. There's nothing he can do on the team that nobody else can do better.

QB- any one of the other QBs

WR- Any one of the WRs

RB- any one of the RBs

KR- any one else that we have for KR

WC- any one else that has a potential to run the WC

Kickoff/punt teams is about the only thing I'd make him one of the top on the team with. But honestly, at $4m I'd rather cut him and use a young guy and give someone else a chance to play.

I obviously agree with you. The only scenario where I see them keeping Smith is if EJ wins, the rookie WRs aren't quite ready and they feel they need a veteran that can help a rookie QB.

I obviously agree with you. The only scenario where I see them keeping Smith is if EJ wins, the rookie WRs aren't quite ready and they feel they need a veteran that can help a rookie QB.

I agree with the assessment on smith based on what we have seen... However, is it possible that a new offense and a more accurate QB might completely change what we think we know about some of these or maybe evan all of these WRs?

Going from a basketball offense to west coast... Perhaps the different strengths and weaknesses of each guy overlay the new offense differently?

Lee Evans always jumps out to me as a great example of a WR that could be amazing in one type of O and QB combo and pedestrian to less than average in another. There are lots of others.

I agree with the assessment on smith based on what we have seen... However, is it possible that a new offense and a more accurate QB might completely change what we think we know about some of these or maybe evan all of these WRs?

Going from a basketball offense to west coast... Perhaps the different strengths and weaknesses of each guy overlay the new offense differently?

Lee Evans always jumps out to me as a great example of a WR that could be amazing in one type of O and QB combo and pedestrian to less than average in another. There are lots of others.

i think that wrs can have varying amounts of success in different schemes, but the real difference maker will be qb play. if a wr is playing with a qb that can hit him in stride and lead him with the ball, then it comes down to individual talent, speed, agility and field vision.

well hes probably the 4rth best "playmaker" on the team now. behind cj sj and fj. why would you risk cj or mckelvin on kick returs when we are thin at cb already? brads bigger than both and faster than mckelvin. And even if hes the fifth or sixth best wr, what happens when 1 or 2 go down w injury? You dont want smith at that point? by the way that has already happened both years hes been here. Did you hate seeing those touchdowns he scored when he had to come in and sub for a hurt WR? why people always want aomeone cut and released when their cap number is a little high I dont get. Is it your money? I get guys that dont produce but Smith has had few opportunities and has hit some home runs for us on those few occasions. Its not his fault he was hardly featured, blame Chan.

well hes probably the 4rth best "playmaker" on the team now. behind cj sj and fj. why would you risk cj or mckelvin on kick returs when we are thin at cb already? brads bigger than both and faster than mckelvin. And even if hes the fifth or sixth best wr, what happens when 1 or 2 go down w injury? You dont want smith at that point? by the way that has already happened both years hes been here. Did you hate seeing those touchdowns he scored when he had to come in and sub for a hurt WR? why people always want aomeone cut and released when their cap number is a little high I dont get. Is it your money? I get guys that dont produce but Smith has had few opportunities and has hit some home runs for us on those few occasions. Its not his fault he was hardly featured, blame Chan.

Because there are more important guys for the money. I don't want to see a guy like Byrd leave because we have money tied up in 5th WR Brad Smith. No one is saying,"I wouldn't pay him a dollar to play for us, he's garbage." He's not worth the money when it is better served elsewhere.

A real damned-if-you-do moment for Chan and co. huh? Every player we had starting over Smith produced more than him under Chan's offense. They came out and made more plays than Brad under such "inept" coaching. It's time to take off the training wheels and stop blaming Gailey for everything. Did you see the squad we were trotting out last year? As it's general consensus our QB was bad, then Gailey getting as much out of him as he did was good. He did his best with his UDFA receiving core, and two 7th round picks. You put BB in charge of our throwing game last year, and I doubt they do that much better.

Graham was one of the worst WRs in the league last year, so I'm not sure why anyone thinks he might be very good, other than hoping it to be that way. Maybe he learned how to catch and hold onto a football in the off-season. Who knows? I do know that looking good in no-contact drills is incredibly meaningless.

I wil feel that the guys they just got are the real deal if Graham doesn't make the opening day roster.

Hopefully, I'm wrong and Graham becomes what some seem to think he already is, but if you can't hold onto the football in college and in your first professional season, color me doubtful.

Graham was one of the worst WRs in the league last year, so I'm not sure why anyone thinks he might be very good, other than hoping it to be that way. Maybe he learned how to catch and hold onto a football in the off-season. Who knows? I do know that looking good in no-contact drills is incredibly meaningless.

I wil feel that the guys they just got are the real deal if Graham doesn't make the opening day roster.

Hopefully, I'm wrong and Graham becomes what some seem to think he already is, but if you can't hold onto the football in college and in your first professional season, color me doubtful.

I am skeptical that he is a roster lock as many postulate as well. Great raw material, but the drops really are the first thing you remember when talking about TJG.

IMO, Smith will make the team simply because he can fill multiple roles. Is he great at any of them? Nope. But versatility is a valuable asset.

Johnson

Woods

Graham

Rogers

Smith

Goodwin

I see Dickerson fighting with Gragg for a TE/HB spot, even though he's listed as a WR currently. Both also have versatility, so one of them will surely make it.

i think that wrs can have varying amounts of success in different schemes, but the real difference maker will be qb play. if a wr is playing with a qb that can hit him in stride and lead him with the ball, then it comes down to individual talent, speed, agility and field vision.

Fair point, and I agree, I guess my point is more there are tiers of WRs and the elite of course will produce in any combo, like a Calvin while many are really good for one specific offense QB combo.

Consider Green Bay and Rogers vs New England and Brady. I see the types of WRs in those two scenarios as quite different and non interchangeable. Lee Evans would be a much better fit in GB than NE. Welker would have not been a great fit in GB IMO, and Likewise Nelson, Jennings and Jones would likely have not been as productive in New England.

Both excellent QBs, but they attack the field differently.

Bringing this back to the Bills, if the new offense favors deeper routes as opposed to the close in and post up kind of stuff, perhaps the taller faster long stride guys will look better than they had previously. Brad could be one of those guys.

• 4 weeks later...

This is how they've stacked up at BillsCamp IMHO:

Johnson

Graham

Woods

Da'Rick Rogers

Marquise Goodwin

Brad Smith

Chris Hogan - Brandon Kaufmann

Kevin Elliott

DeMarco Sampson

• Johnson, Graham, and Woods are slam-dunks.
  • I see Goodwin as multifaceted; he's looked really good in slants over the middle and as a burner on the outside.
  • Sampson is a cut
  • Elliott may be back by the end of camp, but he can be put on injury and not count in our list of 6.
  • Smith has renegotiated his contract and will stick around into next year.
  • Hogan may last on the PS where Kaufmann might not. Nod to Kauffman on the list of 53

Edited by Astrobot