DB Has Become Steve DeBerg

Mark VI

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writ.../11/sub.sub.qb/

That quoted phrase was from Bill Walsh, when players who could only take you so far. DeBerg was the consumate gamer, who couldn't move from the pocket and was exposed by any Defense who wished to blitz. Sound familiar ?

During his career, he gave way to Montana in San Fran, Steve Young in Tampa Bay and Elway in Denver.

The logic of many here is that Losman has proven nothing while Bledsoe has vast experience. Sounds like DeBerg all over again. Montana was injured often at Notre Dame and watched while the immortal Rusty Lisch played most games at QB for the Irish. San Fran selected Montana in the 3rd round in 1979 and he sat and watched DeBerg start his rookie year. In 1980, Walsh made the switch to the often injured and unproven Montana and DeBerg was traded away after 1980. Amazing what can possibly happen if you actually take a chance, instead of settling for DeBerg.

DB has become DeBerg, the QB good enough to get you beat. DeBerg finished with over 34,000 yards passing but will remind no one of Montana, Elway or Young. All 3 were were complete unknowns at the pro level. All were given a chance to see if they could play over an established veteran who could only take a team so far.

The Bills will drill Losman this entire off-season and monitor his progress. If he's not the answer, then making a move towards someone else would be a wise move, instead of settling for more of average DB and his multiple limitations. Labeling Losman a cripple due to his one training camp injury is a stretch of epic proportions. Without any OL his senior year at Tulane, he passed for 33 TD's with only 14 INT's. Then he breaks his leg in Camp and suddenly he's the next Christopher Reeve, to some folks. What a load.

With that thinking, the brittle Montana never should have received an opportunity from Bill Walsh in his 2nd year. He should have held a clipboard for a few more years while the proven DeBerg continued to play. Only Walsh didn't fear the unknown. I doubt Mularkey does either.

Bledsoe was the right QB for 2004. In 2005, we stand a beter chance of reaching the playoffs with someone else. No more limitation QB's, like DeBerg and Bledsoe. Real hope.

You've got to spread this sh-- out a bit.  You're going to blow your wad, and there's still 7 months of bashing to go in the off season.

202525[/snapback]

Nice intelligent reply. I'm not bashing DB at all. Just offering an observation on our future at QB. This is the knee jerk mentality of some here.

This is a discussion board, right ?

Please, let's give this a rest. If Bledsoe is only good enough to get you beat, then why, as he learned the offense, did the Bills go 9-3 the last 3/4ths of the season. You are basically saying because the team won only 6 in a row, as opposed to 7 in a row, the team can't win with Bledsoe.

Personally, my only interest is in seeing the Bills make the playoffs next year, and hopefully win in them. That would be another step forward in 2005. If Bledsoe will get us there but not Losman--in the coaching staff's expert opinion--then I'm for Bledsoe. If there will be no step backward--or, even better, a step forward--with Losman, I'm for Losman. What I do not agree with is exchanging an 11-5 season with Bledsoe at the helm--if he is the better QB in 2005--for a 9-7 season with Losman as the QB in order to season him. In the NFL, the future is now, and those who want to lose more games in 2005 because Bledsoe will only take you so far, well I disagree. I want the best QB to play in 2005. And, it is altogether possible that at some time during the 2005 season, the better QB might go from Bledsoe to Losman, I just don't know.

Let this coaching staff coach and make this decision. I think they earned our trust with what they accomplished in 2005. I trust their judgment on this a whole lot more than a bunch of fans who have far less insight and understanding of the game. And those who say they want Losman even if it means more losses say that now because they don't think he will lose more games, but if it happens they will be the first to B word .. CD

Was DeBerg ever given a $100 million contract??

202526[/snapback]

Those original terms were erased this past summer. What does that have to do with performance ? I did state he was the right guy for 2004. 2005 is a different story.

Those original terms were erased this past summer. What does that have to do with performance ? I did state he was the right guy for 2004. 2005 is a different story.

202530[/snapback]

Mark, using only your stats, Bledsoe, at 32, has 5,000 more yards than DeBerg, who retired at the age of 90.

It is however a new bashing analogy. :unsure::blink:

Mark, using only your stats, Bledsoe, at 32, has 5,000 more yards than DeBerg, who retired at the age of 90.

It is however a new bashing analogy.  :unsure:  B-)

202531[/snapback]

I thought it was 95 ? :blink: Bledsoe sure started out better but now I can't tell the difference between DeBerg and Bledsoe. Likeable fellows, but...

I have supported Bledsoe and am tired of the bashing he gets here. I have to say, though, that your post makes a lot of sense. Instead of rehashing old crap and just continuing to repeat "Drew must go", it is refreshing to read an intelligent, well thought out analogy.

Thanks.

Did you not even bother to read the whole article? What was one of the main criterea for Deberg and the rest of the journeymen mentioned in the article?

Go ahead read it again slowly.

No pro bowl appearances. Drew happenes to have four.

Drew may be at the end of his career but the guy had a more than solid NFL track record of over 10 years as a starter and a top 5 in terms of all time passing yards.

Deberg he is not.

Find something else to B word about.

Did you not even bother to read the whole article?  What was one of the main criterea for Deberg and the rest of the journeymen mentioned in the article?

Go ahead read it again slowly.

No pro bowl appearances.  Drew happenes to have four.

Drew may be at the end of his career but the guy had a more than solid NFL track record of over 10 years as a starter and a top 5 in terms of all time passing yards.

Deberg he is not.

Find something else to B word about.

202540[/snapback]

I stated Drew has BECOME DeBerg, not had the exact same career as DeBerg. You can disagree without being snotty.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writ.../11/sub.sub.qb/

The Bills will drill Losman this entire off-season and monitor his progress. If he's not the answer, then making a move towards someone else would be a wise move, instead of settling for more of average DB and his multiple limitations. Labeling Losman a cripple due to his one training camp injury is a stretch of epic proportions. Without any OL his senior year at Tulane, he passed for 33 TD's with only 14 INT's. Then he breaks his leg in Camp and suddenly he's the next Christopher Reeve, to some folks. What a load.

202504[/snapback]

One training camp injury when the QB isn't expecting to take a hit should not get a QB labeled as fragile/brittle etc. As you say, JP got the stojan kicked out of himself at Tulane, yet his numbers were good enough to warrent a first round selection.

Folks continue to ask for DB to be given a chance to prove himself. Yet, some of those same people have already decided that JP is too slight to play in the NFL. He's injury prone. He's too small to play QB at this level. Let's give the kid a chance.

Good post Mark. TSW needs eloquent posters like you to make up for the likes of me. :unsure:

The original post.

202504[/snapback]

Excellent analysis, Mark. A well thought-out post and a great analogy.

Unfortunately, the topic was somewhat brought down by those that see the name "Bledsoe" and already have a response in mind, no matter what the point.

Regardless, nicely done.