How much is your Beanie Babies collection worth?

Just Jack

With regard to collectibles books are a great way to go. I bought a book maybe 15 years ago for $40 and is now worth $600.

But my favorite is this one. http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=9150021935&searchurl=an%3Dh.p.%2Blovecraft%26prl%3D10.00%26recentlyadded%3Dall%26sortby%3D1%26sts%3Dt%26tn%3Dthe%2Boutsider%2Band%2Bothers%26x%3D-582%26y%3D-389

My wife bought it for me for my birthday 20 years ago for $375. Now worth $2000.

With regard to collectibles books are a great way to go. I bought a book maybe 15 years ago for $40 and is now worth $600.

But my favorite is this one. http://www.abebooks....s&x=-582&y=-389

My wife bought it for me for my birthday 20 years ago for $375. Now worth $2000.

My parents will hit the estate sales and auctions, buy a bunch of books and re-sell them. I remember one story they told me, they bought a box of books for $1, and just one book in that box went for $60, the others went for less of course.

My parents will hit the estate sales and auctions, buy a bunch of books and re-sell them. I remember one story they told me, they bought a box of books for $1, and just one book in that box went for $60, the others went for less of course.

Estate sales are the best place to find them. I got my Lovecraft book at an antique bookstore in Long Beach. The $375 was the going rate for that book at the time. I have a bunch of 1st edition Lovecraft stuff.

But my favorite is this one. http://www.abebooks....s&x=-582&y=-389

It looks like Lovecraft stole his cover concept from the Beatles White Album.

My brother was all excited last summer when he bought a box full of unopened Beanie Babies for about $10. Turns out the empty box is probably worth more.

Sometimes it is timing. My friend got divorced in the late 80s when cards were the hot thing. He paid for it with two complete sets , both with a Montana's rookie card.

A bit off topic, but I thought one of the funnest takedowns of Jets fans came from someone here years ago who said they mostly sit at home during a game, sadly watching their team suck while surrounded by a retirement plan built exclusively around a bunch of unopened, mint-condition holiday Hess trucks.

Sometimes it is timing. My friend got divorced in the late 80s when cards were the hot thing. He paid for it with two complete sets , both with a Montana's rookie card.

There are certainly legitimate 'collectables' out there, but things like baseball cards or art have long standing, established markets. People thinking they are funding retirement by following a fad generated by McDonald's Happy Meals.....well.....yikes.

There are certainly legitimate 'collectables' out there, but things like baseball cards or art have long standing, established markets. People thinking they are funding retirement by following a fad generated by McDonald's Happy Meals.....well.....yikes.

Count me among the late 80's early 90's kids whose parents promised us cards would be worth a fortune.

You know who else got that message? Fleer, Upper Deck, Tops et al., they flooded the market, and now all my cards are worthless. My Shaq card that was $50 out of the pack in 1994 is now worth $15. YUP.

Edited by taC giB ehT

Count me among the late 80's early 90's kids whose parents promised us cards would be worth a fortune.

You know who else got that message? Fleer, Upper Deck, Tops et al., they flooded the market, and now all my cards are worthless. My Shaq card that was $50 out of the pack in 1994 is now worth $15. YUP.

I'm pretty sure I stuck a Pete Rose rookie card in the spokes of my bike. :cry:

And we actually bought the cards for the gum and threw away the cards. :lol:

Edited by Chef Jim

Guess that explains, in part, why Johnny Bench is suddenly doing commercials for Blue Emu.

I'm pretty sure I stuck a Pete Rose rookie card in the spokes of my bike. :cry:

And we actually bought the cards for the gum and threw away the cards. :lol:

And that's why THOSE cards are valuable, and the ones after that aren't so much. Supply and demand. :)

I had a bunch of Star Wars toys from the original trilogy when I was a kid. Most of them are still in the box with all of the accessories. I really should inventory it at some point and then sell them...

Meanwhile you got people like this guy who finds the original Superman comic in a wall of a house he's renovating, it was used as insulation....

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/man-finds-second-vintage-superman-comic-old-home-112510979.html

The trick is finding something someone may want, that there's not a lot of, and socking it away.

Anyone want to buy my original Rich Stadium seats that were taken out during the renovations in 1998?

Meanwhile you got people like this guy who finds the original Superman comic in a wall of a house he's renovating, it was used as insulation....

http://gma.yahoo.com...-112510979.html

The trick is finding something someone may want, that there's not a lot of, and socking it away.

Anyone want to buy my original Rich Stadium seats that were taken out during the renovations in 1998?

I have a very robust pencil collection from my boyhood...fingers crossed.

http://gma.yahoo.com...-112510979.html

That's why I love that Lovecraft book. Less than 1300 printed and with a major cult following. We were broke at the time and I would go to the book store all the time just to look at it. Went the week before my birthday and it was gone. :cry: My wife handed me my gift. Obviously a wrapped book. "You didn't...." Yup, she did. :wub: