Is Jeff Tuel the reason for T. Tax departure?

Most fans and reporters have speculated that Tavaris Jackson was released last week in order to give E.J. the opportunity for more reps. That is probably the case.

John Murphy spoke with Simon on GR55 this morning of his impressions of minni-camp and at the end of Murphy's summary, he noted the arm talent of Jeff Tuel. I watched you tube highlites of Tuel and thought he threw the ball well and moved well in and out of the pocket. Now Murph has taken notice of him which makes me think that the departure of Jackson was for Tuel's benefit as well as E.J.'s. Training camp will be a lot of fun to watch this year.

I also love the glowing remarks about Kiko Alonzo, i.e., "it will take a stick of dynomite to get him out of the starting lineup". I'm excited.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a combination. Obviously they like Tuel as a developmental QB, but they also weren't lying that releasing TJax gives Manuel more reps. Notice they aren't putting Tuel into the mix for the starting job.

Most fans and reporters have speculated that Tavaris Jackson was released last week in order to give E.J. the opportunity for more reps. That is probably the case.

John Murphy spoke with Simon on GR55 this morning of his impressions of minni-camp and at the end of Murphy's summary, he noted the arm talent of Jeff Tuel. I watched you tube highlites of Tuel and thought he threw the ball well and moved well in and out of the pocket. Now Murph has taken notice of him which makes me think that the departure of Jackson was for Tuel's benefit as well as E.J.'s. Training camp will be a lot of fun to watch this year.

I also love the glowing remarks about Kiko Alonzo, i.e., "it will take a stick of dynomite to get him out of the starting lineup". I'm excited.

EJ Manuel is the reason for TJax's departure. They want's to get EJ more reps, and don't need two mediocre journeyman QB's on the roster to compete with him. Tuel is the emergency backup/clipboard holder, and is getting very few reps.

Look at the minicamps as the runoff to determine which vet would compete with EJ during trainingcamp. Kolb won.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

No Tuel had NOTHING to do with TJax leaving. If you were keeping up you would realize Tuel is barely even getting snaps and some days he got none. Don't worry about Tuel he is PS at BEST.

Edited by EJ3

It's a combination. Obviously they like Tuel as a developmental QB, but they also weren't lying that releasing TJax gives Manuel more reps. Notice they aren't putting Tuel into the mix for the starting job.

All that we have thus far is Murph's comment. We don't know what the coaches are thinking of Tuel. I'll be watching training camp reps very closely.

Think about this would you keep a guy who is making more money to be here then another guy who is making minimum even though neither will ever sniff the NFL field? Exactly, if Tuel was making TJax money then he would have been the guy to be cut.

Only Bills fans can fall in love with guys who will never play the game.

Edited by EJ3

Think about this would you keep a guy who is making more money to be here then another guy who is making minimum even though neither will ever sniff the NFL field? Exactly, if Tuel was making TJax money then he would have been the guy to be cut.

I'm sure money had something to do with it. But think about it; Buffalo will likely kep three QBs. If Tuel did not seem capable, I'm certain they would have retained Jackson. I know you're an E.J. fan. I am too. But I'm intrigued by the possibility of having two young talented QBs on this roster. I would not be supset if, at the end of this season, Buffalo's QB debth chart lists E.J., Tuel, and Kolb in that order.

I'm pretty sure a bunch of guys dressed as Redskins throwing tea off a boat in Boston Harbor was the reason for the Tea Tax departure.

Thanks for clearing that up; for a moment I thought he was talking about T. Rex -- who would obviously have been released because of his short arms.

I'm sure money had something to do with it. But think about it; Buffalo will likely kep three QBs. If Tuel did not seem capable, I'm certain they would have retained Jackson. I know you're an E.J. fan. I am too. But I'm intrigued by the possibility of having two young talented QBs on this roster. I would not be supset if, at the end of this season, Buffalo's QB debth chart lists E.J., Tuel, and Kolb in that order.

He is younger and cheaper. Most teams keep 2 QBs if Tuel even makes the cuts he will be PS at best. He has gotten almost zero reps. I don't know why you are even following a guy who will never really be mentioned come TC. The Bills fans way root for the guy who shouldn't be playing.

Can someone help me out here?

1. Is it typical for a team to announce who the starters are now or come August?

2. Do rosters need to be cut down now, or does that all occur in August?

Thanks.

Can someone help me out here?

1. Is it typical for a team to announce who the starters are now or come August?

2. Do rosters need to be cut down now, or does that all occur in August?

Thanks.

1. All depends on the coach and QB. Russell Wilson wasn't named starter till after the first preseason game, neither was Matt Ryan. It is TC and Preseason that will figure out is Kolb or EJ is starting.

2. Starting July 28th every few weeks the team must cut the roster down. I don't know the dates I will try to find. I can't find this years cut dates.

Edited by EJ3

They release T Jax because they liked him and he was not going to win the job. They were doing him a favor by allowing him to catch on elsewhere. They are only going to keep 2 QBs because they will need that roster spot. IMO Tuel seems like a lock to end up on the PS at this point. Maybe he can develop into EJ's backup over time?

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I take Marrone at his word and believe TJax was released because the QB competition is a two-horse race and both horses need their reps.

But I agree that the Bills confidence in Tuel as our #3 emergency QB may have played a role. A Bills scout (Brad Forsyth) had some nice things to say about Tuel when we drafted him...

"I think he’s a kid that really does have a legitimate shot. He needs some time, development and experience, but he has all the physical tools you’re looking for and he’s a smart kid as well.”

“I’m real excited about him as a free agent. Really good size, really strong arm. You really notice that when you get on the practice field and at the two All-Star games that I went to watch him. He just stands out as a pure thrower. He really spins it well and can make all the throws.”

"He is accurate. He’s got sneaky athletic ability.”

“I just like this kid’s physical upside. He’s got a lot of the things you want. It’s just a matter of putting it all together and doing it on a consistent basis.”

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/A-respectable-Tuel-box-for-Bills-undrafted-QB/7a23aab1-00f3-43aa-a69d-3c459f66daf6

They release T Jax because they liked him and he was not going to win the job. They were doing him a favor by allowing him to catch on elsewhere. Try are only going to keep 2 QBs because they will need that roster spot. IMO Tuel seems like a lock to end up on the PS at this point. Maybe he can develop into EJ's backup over time?

You know this because? Is this team so loaded with talent that they cannot afford a roster spot for a young talented signal caller? Speculation has it that Belichick will retain Tebow as his third QB. Speculation has it that the Patriots roster has more telented players than does Buffalo's. But Buffalo will not keep a third QB on it's roster?

You know this because? Is this team so loaded with talent that they cannot afford a roster spot for a young talented signal caller? Speculation has it that Belichick will retain Tebow as his third QB. Speculation has it that the Patriots roster has more telented players than does Buffalo's. But Buffalo will not keep a third QB on it's roster?

Jeff is that you?

No, I think that they would rather keep another, WR, DB or even OL over a 3rd QB that won't ever play. Those positions are more competitive and those guys can contribute on special teams. I am would be SHOCKED if the Bills kept Jeff Tuel on the 53 man roster at the expense of any of those other positions. I thought that would be the case when they had T Jax still on the roster let alone Tuel. You really think that they will keep Tuel over someone like Justin Rodgers, Easley, Brad Smith, Meeks or even Searcy? No chance

Also, I always find it funny when someone on this board falls in love with someone that will not contribute. I am guilty of it with different guys. Shawn Nelson is one for me.

Edited by Kirby Jackson