Drinking-the-Kool-Ade Question

I'm a proud, card-carrying member of that club myself. When's the next meeting?

I said this earlier, there will be plays where we are amazed but my experience tells me there will be more where we're wondering what the hell was that man thinking. Especially from our young and aggressive MLBs. It's just the nature of the game that it takes time for players, young ones especially, to get comfortable in the scheme they're in. It'll be apparent to all of us when they go from "thinking" out there to just pure instinctive reaction (within the scheme).

GO BILLS!!!

I dispute none of this. I also think it will be a big adjustment for Mario Williams who may have signed partially because he liked the idea of lining up at LDE almost every play, and while he does seem on board now, there's a lot to pick up. That goes for everybody really, they'll all be moved around. And it certainly seems like we're putting a ton of responsibility on that 2nd round rookie (though I have it on good authority he told Coach Marrone, "I'm gonna set the Ralph on fire.").

I just have this suspicion that even in the first few weeks, growing pains and all, it won't be one of the 3 worst defenses in the league the way it was last year. Things won't be running perfectly smoothly but the coach will at least understand how to defend a modern offense.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't blame them at all -- the record speaks for itself. It's all about making a decision, though, about what sort of a person you want to be and what attitude you want to project.

If it's fun or "necessary" for certain folks to continue hammering on the negative, so be it. I just hope they go to different parties than I attend.

Yeah - it's obviously EASIER for anyone who likes the Bills, or just is speculating on football, to say, "Buffalo sucks", or "Buffalo needs to prove it to me before I believe in them". I've been a Bills fan since I was 12, and started watching the NFL, which is going on over 20 years now. Every year I'm the guy saying, "The Bills could be pretty good this year, or maybe make a wild-card, IF THEY DO THIS, or IF THEY CAN DO THAT". I try to focus on what needs to be done to improve and to become competitive. Sure, lately it's not taken too long to become obvious that such things aren't happening, and I, too, end up recording more games than watching live. What excites me this year - more so than in many recent years - is that almost all of the offseason things I'd of said they should do to become better have been done. Now it's just a matter of these guys going out and playing ball. I see us going anywhere between 6 and 10 wins this year, and having a good shot at the playoffs, so I am excited!

That sounds about right to me, too, given all the new faces and systems. Much like '86, except we don't have a Jim Kelly, fresh off two very successful professional football seasons, to come in and lead this team. Maybe EJ will emerge as that leader and I hope he does, but anything more than 6 wins and I'll be shocked.

GO BILLS!!!

Yes, the D scheme will be more imaginative and more aggressive. But it's a complicated scheme and it will require at least half a season before players are very comfortable in it. Especially those key younger players in the middle. I'd be surprised if they came out of the shoot looking like they've been playing in this system for a long time. That's just the nature of the game.

GO BILLS!!!

Last years team had a head coach that admittedly did not pay attention to one side of the game. A new defensive scheme (designrd in 1989) and coordinator. A QB that could not throw down field and one WR.

Yes the Houston Gamblers were a professional football team, but other than some marquee players the quality was not NFL. They ran the run and shoot a gimmicky offense that was only ever employed by three NFL teams (yes some of the elements have been incorporated into today's offenses). Kelly would play in a different scheme with the Bills. So I don't think his USFL experience would necessarily put him ahead of QBs on our current roster, his skill set, probably.

So new defensive scheme last year and this year would seem to be a wash. There are key young players ever year on almost every team.

I can't imagine this staff doing a worse job than last years. I would hope that roster has improved. I just don't see them losing more than last year.

And that gauntlet cuff he had on his glove was bad ass.

The Senator's protestations aside, as long as the good people of Cheektowaga believe that Legursky is Polish, that's all that matters.

As for the OP's question, I was some combination of drunk and hyperglycemic (Cuervo and Kool-Aid baby!) last July when I predicted a 15-1 regular season.

Of course that was before the preseason revealed that the Bills just weren't very good.

The Senator is just as pleased with a good Ukrainian football monster.

As for Kool-Aid, The Senator's favorite drink has been, for some time now...

One Part Pearl Vodka

Two Parts Pearl Vodka

Shake, Serve over ice

Garnish with a lemon twist...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! :beer:

Edited by The Senator

The Senator is just as pleased with a good Ukrainian football monster.

As for Kool-Aid, The Senator's favorite drink has been, for some time now...

One Part Pearl Vodka

Two Parts Pearl Vodka

Shake, Serve over ice

Garnish with a lemon twist...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! :beer:

Wait is he actually Ukrainian?

Last years team had a head coach that admittedly did not pay attention to one side of the game. A new defensive scheme (designrd in 1989) and coordinator. A QB that could not throw down field and one WR.

Yes the Houston Gamblers were a professional football team, but other than some marquee players the quality was not NFL. They ran the run and shoot a gimmicky offense that was only ever employed by three NFL teams (yes some of the elements have been incorporated into today's offenses). Kelly would play in a different scheme with the Bills. So I don't think his USFL experience would necessarily put him ahead of QBs on our current roster, his skill set, probably.

So new defensive scheme last year and this year would seem to be a wash. There are key young players ever year on almost every team.

I can't imagine this staff doing a worse job than last years. I would hope that roster has improved. I just don't see them losing more than last year.

Kelly's experience in that gimmicky offense put him years ahead in his development. He learned how to read defenses and has often said how his years with Mouse Davis were invaluable. While I'd love for EJ to be that guy right away, I just can't kid myself that he will.

I agree that there is no place to go but up when it comes to the D. Such is the nature of finishing last or near last in every key statistical measure. But new schemes take time, even for vets, but especially for younger players who's heads are spinning out there.

I'm convinced this team will be a better coached team along with being more talented. But my experience tells me it will be at least half a season to really see them settle in and assert their will more often than not.

I'd dearly like to be wrong about that, though.

GO BILLS!!!

The Ukraine is WEAK...

It's a road apple

While I'd love for EJ to be that guy right away, I just can't kid myself that he will.

I'm looking for the Kaepernick model with Manuel. .75 to 1.5 years for him to take over, Kolb in the Alex Smith role. Here's hoping! :)

I'm convinced this team will be a better coached team along with being more talented. But my experience tells me it will be at least half a season to really see them settle in and assert their will more often than not.

I'd dearly like to be wrong about that, though.

GO BILLS!!!

Agreed.

And I should also learn how to spell Kool-Aid.