Progressives tout California Health care "success"

Congress to get Obamacare exemption: report

By Michael Kitchen

LOS ANGELES (MarketWatch) -- The White House has approved a deal that will exempt members of Congress and their staff from some of the provisions of the Affordable Care Act, Politico reported late Thursday. Under the law, popularly referred to as Obamacare, lawmakers and their aides were required to source health insurance "created" by the law or offered through one of its exchanges, and without the subsidies they currently enjoy, the members of Congress would have faced thousands of dollars in additional premium payments each year, the report said. However, the Office of Personnel Management now plans to rule that the government can continue to make a contribution to the health-care premiums of the lawmakers and their staff, it said, citing unnamed congressional sources and a White House official

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/congress-to-get-obamacare-exemption-report-2013-08-02?dist=tcountdown

OHIO: Health premiums to soar...

198% hike in GA!

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/congress-to-get-obamacare-exemption-report-2013-08-02?dist=tcountdown

OHIO: Health premiums to soar...

did you even read the politico article? makes some pretty strong arguments against these projections by republican insurance commisioners. think they might have an axe to grind? maybe we should wait and see what really happens to insurance premiums. 198% hike in GA!

Edited by birdog1960

(fill in the blank) time for bd.

I read all the articles, they are presented for information services.

maybe if you wrote it down, and stopped making your usual assumptions.

the politico article mostly points out problem with methodology in these estimates.

this article talks about the biggest reason for higher estimates: http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/2021963. "much of the reason for higher claims cost is that sicker people are expected to join the pool..." wow. imagine that. a healthcare system that takes care of and insures the sickest patients. just ridiculous! we should be cherrypicking the healthy to insure. it's much cheaper and we can make more profit.

Obamacare Full Frontal:....... Of 953,000 Jobs Created In 2013, 77%, Or 731,000 Are Part-Time

When the payroll report was released last month, the world finally noticed what we had been saying for nearly three years: that the US was slowly being converted to a part-time worker society. This slow conversion accelerated drastically in the last few months, and especially in June, when part time jobs exploded higher by 360K while full time jobs dropped by 240K. In July we are sad to report that America's conversation to a part-time worker society is not "tapering": according to the Household Survey, of the 266K jobs created (note this number differs from the establishment survey), only 35% of jobs, or 92K, were full time. The rest were... not.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-08-02/obamacare-full-frontal-953000-jobs-created-2013-77-or-731000-are-part-time

this article talks about the biggest reason for higher estimates: http://m.usatoday.co...le/news/2021963. "much of the reason for higher claims cost is that sicker people are expected to join the pool..." wow. imagine that. a healthcare system that takes care of and insures the sickest patients. just ridiculous! we should be cherrypicking the healthy to insure. it's much cheaper and we can make more profit.

It's a good thing birdog1960 can read these articles now to tell us that our health insurance costs are going to go up.

If only someone could have predicted that before this law was passed on the (erroneous) premise that it would lower premiums.

Edited by jjamie12

It's a good thing birdog1960 can read these articles now to tell us that our health insurance costs are going to go up.

If only someone could have predicted that before this law was passed on the (erroneous) premise that it would lower premiums.

That's just crazy talk. Congress was forced to pass the bill so that we could know what was in it. To do anything less, such as not passing it through shady means and questionably-legal trickery would have been irresponsible and uncivilized.

Obamacare Full Frontal:....... Of 953,000 Jobs Created In 2013, 77%, Or 731,000 Are Part-Time

When the payroll report was released last month, the world finally noticed what we had been saying for nearly three years: that the US was slowly being converted to a part-time worker society. This slow conversion accelerated drastically in the last few months, and especially in June, when part time jobs exploded higher by 360K while full time jobs dropped by 240K. In July we are sad to report that America's conversation to a part-time worker society is not "tapering": according to the Household Survey, of the 266K jobs created (note this number differs from the establishment survey), only 35% of jobs, or 92K, were full time. The rest were... not.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-08-02/obamacare-full-frontal-953000-jobs-created-2013-77-or-731000-are-part-time

What? The market adjusted to poorly thought out public policy brought to you by people who've never done anything of substance in the private sector? Nice job, community organizer. <_<

so the threshold now

The threshold, moron, was set by liberals long ago:

1. Single Payer is better because it covers everbody and/or ensures everyone has access to health care

2. Single Payer is better because it is cheaper for everybody, including the people who already have health care benefits, because, you take away the profit margins of the private insurance companies

3. Single Payer is better becuase it ensures proper care, and keeps care decisions away from the evil VPs of private insurance companies.

4. Single Payer is better becuase when everybody is covered, and pays some/the government pays some, the cost of care will be spread out amongst that revenue, and this will allow us to lower premiums

and the kicker?

5. Single Payer is better because it removes the burden of paying health care benefits from companies, allowing them to create more/better jobs = more middle class jobs.

Now, ask anybody on this board if 1-5 is true, or will ever be true. In fact, I challenge everyone here to repeat 1-5, but, rewrite them based on reality, and not liberal, magical thinking.

is that some middle class folks have access to private insurance. why? single payer still provides basic care for the vast majority that can't afford it....and that's kinda the point. needn't inspire defensiveness or anger in a single payer proponent. i suppose it's all dependent on ones goals for a health care system. if it's to provide the best overall care to the largest percentage of the population, single payer is clearly the choice. if it's "what's best for me", the choice becomes totally individual.

The middle class would rather have private insurance. That is the VAST MAJORITY. So, no, single payer is not helping the vast majority, if the vast majority wants nothing to do with it.

You should never go into sales. You don't understand the concept of "value proposition".

Single payer is the best at 1 thing: breeding corruption and incompetence.

Single payer only does what it is designed to do: create yet another column of leftist centralized FAIL, because it does NOT solve the problem for which it was established, it merely performs its intended purpose:

1. creates condiitions for leftists to draw both votes and power

2. reward its enablers by being a platform for handing out benefits, jobs, and contracts

oh and btw, the concept of tiered care mitigates the big, bad bogeyman of incentive for the best and brightest to choose medicine, not that i think that was ever likely to be a problem anyway

Anybody else see how easily these clowns slip between:

"what is best for everybody" and

"what is best for the individual"

based solely on whatever is convenient for their argument at the time? "Yes, tiered care is great, but, single payer is also great! Let's keep spending money on everything, everywhere! Efficiency and effectiveness be damned!"

It's a lie, people. It's a lie that is solely predicated on giving more power to DC, so that these clowns can have more power, and their percieved enemies, American business, can have less.

In their 0 sum world, every time my company expands, they lose power. So, they have to have constant control over me, so that I don't expand too fast, be in positon to exploit the market, and outpace their ability to control me. Lord knows they don't want me to turn into yet another "rags to riches" story, in which the government had no role.

Then, I might walk around with a general contempt for them, and government employees in general. :o I might even go on message boards, and tell people how little value they truly add to society.

:lol:

Poor attendance at Obamacare event in Virginia

CENTREVILLE, Va. — A race to define Obamacare to the masses began today between the stacks at the Centreville Library. Over pizza in Decatur, Texas. And with a glass of wine in Naples, Fla.

Dozens of communities around the country hosted pro-Obamacare events, convened by the president’s foot soldiers at Organizing for Action. The series is the first salvo in what is fixing to be a month of high-stakes health care spin. When Congress returns from its summer recess in early September, there will be less than a month until Obamacare’s most sweeping coverage programs start signing up customers in new health insurance exchanges.

{snip}

that means gatherings like today’s in Centreville — although the slow start here is probably not what OFA organizers had in mind. After a scheduling snafu over the start time, a few people showed up and left before it actually started. Just one volunteer stayed to help work the phone bank for the health law, and the event’s organizer bolted after 20 minutes — although he was bound for another Obamacare event, a house party.

The poor turnout here in Centreville wasn’t necessarily indicative of what’s happening across the country at other OFA events Sunday afternoon and evening, which coincide with President Barack Obama’s birthday. OFA sent out pictures of bigger and more enthusiastic turnout elsewhere, including some events in places like Ohio, Florida and Missouri where volunteer enthusiasm will be needed to overcome state government resistance to implementation.

It's hilarious that this reporter thinks there is a race to define Obamacare, after the last 5 years and 100s of opinion polls telling us it's defintion...exactly.

Yes, "they'll love it once they see what's in it". That has been the wish, that turned into a belief, that turned into a delusion. They've been saying it for so long, I imagine they actually believe it. So, it's accurate to say its a delusion.

Hell, look at this board. We actually have posters in full on "Hitler in the Bunker" mode wrt Obamacare. It's entirely feasible that the very same wishful behavior is going on all over the country with liberals.

I feel sorry for them, just like I feel sorry for that poor lady sitting there all by herself. It's too bad really. All that goodwill turned into so much misguidance.

Once again, it was there, the people were there. They blew it, because they just couldn't get rid of the LBJ/60s mentality, and do something right for a change.

Showing up for free pizza and wine is easy (or not, as in the case of Centreville, VA). The hard part will be getting the healthy people to shell-out thousands of dollars when the law allows you to buy insurance only when you need it. And even then, it costs just 3 times what a healthy person would pay. And that's how Obamacare will lead to skyrocketing premiums on the exchanges.

Showing up for free pizza and wine is easy (or not, as in the case of Centreville, VA). The hard part will be getting the healthy people to shell-out thousands of dollars when the law allows you to buy insurance only when you need it. And even then, it costs just 3 times what a healthy person would pay. And that's how Obamacare will lead to skyrocketing premiums on the exchanges.

Perhaps one of the more curious parts of this effort for me is that I genuinely don't recall a president signing a piece of legislation into law and then having his political action committee doing the work to get the law enforced. How tasty is your kool-aid that you're able to pass the most ineffective and unliked law in recent history, and still have people donate money and time to force it down everyone's throat?

Pretty odd.

Edited by LABillzFan

Perhaps one of the more curious parts of this effort for me is that I genuinely don't recall a president signing a piece of legislation into law and then having his political action committee doing the work to get the law enforced. How tasty is your kool-aid that you're able to pass the most ineffective and unliked law in recent history, and still have people donate money and time to force it down everyone's throat?

Pretty odd.

Donate money and time? The Obamacare Outreach Campaign will cost $684M...annually.

Down the memory hole with the article listed in reply #531............................lol

Politico Changes Headline About Poor Attendance at ObamaCare Event

By: Noel Sheppard | August 05, 2013, 10:52 ET

Politico%20805_0.jpg

Politico on Sunday published a highly embarrassing piece to the administration titled "Poor Attendance at Obamacare Event in Virginia."

Someone at Politico must have thought that was too embarrassing for at some point the title was changed to "Obamacare Message War Goes Local":

Edited by B-Man