Cookie Gilchrist, Daryle Lamonica enshrined into the HOVG

No different than Hall of Fame. Special teamers do not warrant admittance.

I find this attitude by some writers to be extremely irritating.

If you're referring to Steve Tasker - the rule for the HOVG is they have to be retired for 25 years to be eligible.

Bob Kuechenberg and Mike Curtis were both awesome players.

There are a lot of great players not in the HOF and the line is so thin that it sometimes seems that the names fall arbitrarily on either side of the line.

Here's a list of all the members of the Hall of Very Good, which Ken and his people started in 2002:

http://www.profootballresearchers.org/HOVG.htm

If you're referring to Steve Tasker - the rule for the HOVG is they have to be retired for 25 years to be eligible.

No I am not. They have never elected a special teams player.

1 Position: Assistant Coach 1946-53 and 1962, and Head Coach 1963-70

2 Position: Back

2 Position: Center

2 Position: Cornerback

7 Position: Defensive Back

6 Position: Defensive End

5 Position: Defensive Tackle

8 Position: End

1 Position: End, Halfback

1 Position: End, Head Coach

1 Position: End, Kicker

2 Position: Fullback

11 Position: Guard

1 Position: Guard, Center, Linebacker

1 Position: Guard, Linebacker

2 Position: Halfback

1 Position: Halfback, End

1 Position: Halfback, Fullback

3 Position: Head Coach

8 Position: Linebacker

7 Position: Quarterback

3 Position: Running Back

1 Position: Safety

1 Position: Split End, Wide Receiver

6 Position: Tackle

1 Position: Tackle, Middle Guard, End

3 Position: Tailback

1 Position: Tight End

7 Position: Wide Receiver

1 Positions: Free Safety

1 Positions: Linebacker

I LIKE IT! I always thought a lot of AFL players were going to be forgotten, and so many of these guys were just outstanding players. Probably not hall of fame, but the hall of very good is an intriguing idea. Hooray for the researchers association. I think we had a regular poster at one time who was involved with this group...but I forget who it was.

I LIKE IT! I always thought a lot of AFL players were going to be forgotten, and so many of these guys were just outstanding players. Probably not hall of fame, but the hall of very good is an intriguing idea. Hooray for the researchers association. I think we had a regular poster at one time who was involved with this group...but I forget who it was.

It IS KRC.

No different than Hall of Fame. Special teamers do not warrant admittance.

I find this attitude by some writers to be extremely irritating.

Who should be in that is not in right now? Keep in mind that a lot of the older players were also special teamers.

No I am not. They have never elected a special teams player.

And what ST player retired before 1988 who is not in the HOF do you believe warrants entry?

Ray Guy? Billy "White Shoes" Johnson? Pete Gogolak?

they need to change the name to the Hall of Greatness. HO very good sounds weak and lame.

Kinda like most of your posts, and your suggestion here.

The name is perfect. Thanks for the list Ken.

Kinda like most of your posts, and your suggestion here.

The name is perfect. Thanks for the list Ken.

Thank you. The term "great" is overused to the point that it is meaningless. I prefer to reserve that term for the truly elite.

Also, the HOVG is not meant as a replacement of the HOF. It is for people who have had excellent careers, but are not in the HOF. Do I feel that some of the HOVG players should be in the HOF? Yes. People like Dilweg, Wistert, and Slater should be in.

Thank you. The term "great" is overused to the point that it is meaningless. I prefer to reserve that term for the truly elite.

Also, the HOVG is not meant as a replacement of the HOF. It is for people who have had excellent careers, but are not in the HOF. Do I feel that some of the HOVG players should be in the HOF? Yes. People like Dilweg, Wistert, and Slater should be in.

The best part of the HOVG for me is there are so many names I remember from childhood but have long since forgotten -- it's a like a who's who of my football card collection when I was 12.

Bob Kuechenberg and Mike Curtis were both awesome players.

There are a lot of great players not in the HOF and the line is so thin that it sometimes seems that the names fall arbitrarily on either side of the line.

Here's a list of all the members of the Hall of Very Good, which Ken and his people started in 2002:

http://www.profootba...rs.org/HOVG.htm

so true about the arbitrariness. There are the ones that are obvious--the OJs,the Jim Browns, the reggie whites, the LTs,the Jerry Rices.-They may be 25% of the hall. The rest are a bit of a jumble....subject to amt of media exposure,luck of the draw re teammates,coaches,organizations etc. I think the toughest call may be at WR where a WR can be doomed by the FITZs of the world.-That HOVG list is very impressive.