Did anyone want Cary Williams?

Philly is beginning to question why they did....

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/209738121.html

If it was just his daughter's recital, or just his wedding, or even the recital and the wedding, you could excuse Cary Williams' absence from most of the voluntary workouts this offseason. But the veteran cornerback not only scheduled his nuptials during the period reserved for spring practices, he had dental work and the building of a house - reasons he gave for missing workouts in April - planned prior to his signing with the Eagles in March.

I think too much is made from these volunteer camps, if my boss said to me you have to go to a volunteer anything, it is no longer is volunteer...kinda duh.

Every year a good player gets hurt during these OTAs, we love it when star players buy into the system and show up, but most of them are there to mingle. CB is the position that needs this less than any, practice without pads allows WRs to show them up. Williams played on a very good defense and his play had a lot to do with the pressure the front 7 created. He's overrated, but I don't fault him for hiding it by not showing up.

At least he made it to some of their workouts (see Lawson and branch)...but yes, I definitely wanted him. He would easily be a starting, productive Db for us IMO.

Lawson and branch have attended other activities, just missed this week....

I think too much is made from these volunteer camps, if my boss said to me you have to go to a volunteer anything, it is no longer is volunteer...kinda duh.

Every year a good player gets hurt during these OTAs, we love it when star players buy into the system and show up, but most of them are there to mingle. CB is the position that needs this less than any, practice without pads allows WRs to show them up. Williams played on a very good defense and his play had a lot to do with the pressure the front 7 created. He's overrated, but I don't fault him for hiding it by not showing up.

There are A LOT of differences between "regular" jobs and being an NFL player. The pay is generally A LOT better, especially based on how much vacation time is involved. I am thinking most folks don't get 4 months of vacation per year. Also, the competition for these jobs is much greater. Also the career is shorter and the teamwork aspect is much more significant.

And let's also remember that it isn't the boss who says these OTA's are voluntary. Make no mistake, if the boss is there he wants you to be there. If your teammates are out there, you should be. Since the average NFL career is about 3 years long that leaves approximately ALL of your life to be a typical schmo.

In the case of the Bills, this is just an organizational issue. They don't have a winning culture or veteran leadership in place to the point where voluntary FEELS like mandatory.

Lawson and branch have attended other activities, just missed this week....

Um...I have read every practice recap since they started. The only reference ever made to them is their absence. What activities have they participated in to your knowledge, other than signing their contracts? Any links?....I sincerely am curious, because I feel like the presence alone of either of them would warrant a mention in someone's account of practices.

Um...I have read every practice recap since they started. The only reference ever made to them is their absence. What activities have they participated in to your knowledge, other than signing their contracts? Any links?....I sincerely am curious, because I feel like the presence alone of either of them would warrant a mention in someone's account of practices.

Weren't they here in April?

I remember reading that the Bills had lined up a front 3 of Branch, Dareus, and Carrington at one of the workouts.

thats been pretty widely discussed on this board since april. i did a brief search and didnt see the article off hand but i know that was discussed in projections of what positions people would be playing, what the defense would look like, whether we need a NT, several of the "projected 53 man roster" threads, questions about KW etc..... I likewise was going to point to a Dareus, Branch, Carrington starting rotation based on who was in attendance.

lawson im less confident on as its been less discussed - but i think it hasnt been discussed as often as there is less question on what his position will be. ive certainly seen it mentioned though.

articles are out there that list the players, it was a major topic as it was the first time pettine had guys line up. just a matter of finding the article and seeing what names are in it. not to be blunt on it, but i dont really feel like working to track it down right now. if it had come up in my first search or two i wouldve gladly linked, but not trying to really look for it. between byrd not showing up, stevie being out, the first day being the day of the draft luncheon, theres a lot of clutter around it.

Edited by NoSaint

"When a starter missed the first gathering of the spring to attend the funeral of a family friend, Kelly had the player's position coach call him to see if he could pay his respects before the service in order to make the afternoon meeting. The player declined."

I know you want all the players to attend but man...that's just cold.

"When a starter missed the first gathering of the spring to attend the funeral of a family friend, Kelly had the player's position coach call him to see if he could pay his respects before the service in order to make the afternoon meeting. The player declined."

I know you want all the players to attend but man...that's just cold.

and that will be a serious question in whether kelly is meant for the pro game as a coach.

by itself, it doesnt mean a lot, but how he overall handles transitioning from strong arming 19 year olds that dont want to lose their scholarships and screw up their college career vs grown men that can go to another team with ease if let go..... will be a serious test for him

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/eagles/2013/06/04/cornerback-cary-williams-explains-absences-offseason-workouts-organized-team-activities/2389479/

"I'm sorry people make such a big deal about something that's so small," Williams said. "I grew up as a kid who didn't have two parents in a household. I definitely take pride in being a father and a husband. I take pride in being there for my daughter and my future children because I didn't have that when I was younger."

and that will be a serious question in whether kelly is meant for the pro game as a coach.

by itself, it doesnt mean a lot, but how he overall handles transitioning from strong arming 19 year olds that dont want to lose their scholarships and screw up their college career vs grown men that can go to another team with ease if let go..... will be a serious test for him

Pretty tacky move by Chip Kelly, asking Williams to pay his respects before the service so he can attend a team meeting.

Kelly could definitely succeed in the NFL and Marrone could definitely fail.

However some significant factors regarding the two:

1) Kelly had decided to stay at Oregon until word of NCAA investigations started getting hot and heavy. He then changed course back towards the NFL.

2) I'd be very wary of a guy who has ZERO NFL experience. Such is the case with Chip Kelly.

3) Marrone on the other hand has spent 9 seasons in the NFL as a player and coach. He then went back to the college ranks to get head coaching experience. Marrone is as ready to be an NFL head coach as anyone.