Ross Tucker on JP Losman

Ross tucker said that JP Losman is basically comparable to a 5 tool player in baseball. He said Losman has speed, has a strong arm and is accurate. He said the question remains on when he will be ready to play due to the complexities of the QB postition. He said that Bledsoe has seen all the defenses in the league & blitzes and is more prepared right now. He also mentioned that Losman is a hard worker.

He also mentioned that Losman is a hard worker.

201320[/snapback]

We'll find out this off season.

It sounds like his development, and crack at competing in camp will hinge on his off season work ethic and ability.

This thread is great. It proves that the "haters" know WAY more about quarterbacks than a Princeton grad who blocks for him.

Carry on!  :w00t:

201351[/snapback]

Oh come on. I know what Tucker means. Just with regard to blitzes, I am not sure that Drew's having more experience with them means that he knows what to do when they come.

Not a hater, just a guy who believed in Drew for too long, and loves the Bills too much to watch a quarterback who is a nice guy, but whom I have no confidence in anymore. If they decide to go with Drew again, I'll root for him. God, I desperately want him to do well. I just don't think he has it in him. I wanted, and still want, to be proven wrong.

Oh come on.  I know what Tucker means.  Just with regard to blitzes, I am not sure that Drew's having more experience with them means that he knows what to do when they come.

Not a hater, just a guy who believed in Drew for too long, and loves the Bills too much to watch a quarterback who is a nice guy, but whom I have no confidence in anymore.  If they decide to go with Drew again, I'll root for him.  God, I desperately want him to do well.  I just don't think he has it in him.  I wanted, and still want, to be proven wrong.

201361[/snapback]

That places us on opposite sides, but also on the same page. :w00t:

Imo, Drew played better after McNallys' coaching sank in to the OL, Mike Williams got into shape, and Travis was benched. We also had a rookie coach....learning on the job. Certainly there is some truth in this, right?

As for JP, he was half dead after running into another player, and seems frail when compared to Drew. I want to be wrong about him and for him also to be in the top 10 in all time yardage. The thing is, I am not ready to heap praise upon him. Not yet.

Right wing nut jobs (JP supporters) and left wing sympathizers (Bledsoe lovers) listen up...let's establish two things:

1) Experience in the NFL, particularly 12 years experience at the QB position, does make one more prepared to handle the position than a season on the active roster, half of which was spent rehabbing from an injury.

2) Young JP is very talented -- he has more athletic skills than #11 at this point in Drew's career (arguably than Drew ever had) but in the words of Yogi Berra--this position in 50 percent mental, 50 percent physical and 50 percent other things.....

JP has to win the job in camp--on the field...we can stoke our keys all we want--nothing changes this fact....

Right wing nut jobs (JP supporters) and left wing sympathizers (Bledsoe lovers) listen up...let's establish two things:

1) Experience in the NFL, particularly 12 years experience at the QB position, does make one more prepared to handle the position than a season on the active roster, half of which was spent rehabbing from an injury.

2) Young JP is very talented -- he has more athletic skills than #11 at this point in Drew's career (arguably than Drew ever had) but in the words of Yogi Berra--this position in 50 percent mental, 50 percent physical and 50 percent other things.....

JP has to win the job in camp--on the field...we can stoke our keys all we want--nothing changes this fact....

201376[/snapback]

Very well put. Let them battle it out next year at camp....

ross tucker is one of my favorite bills..i got to meet him once when he was with the skins because they had training camp at the college where i coach track....he also became very good friends with our throws coach (who landed an asst. strength training job with the skins while they were in carlisle) and had dinner at his house quite often. when the bills signed him as an afterthought (remember, the skins released him), my colleague said "you watch...ross will hang around and hang around until he works his way into the line-up. the bills will never be able to get rid of him."

apologies if i have told that story before, but i think it is sort of cool. go ross!

Oh come on.  I know what Tucker means.  Just with regard to blitzes, I am not sure that Drew's having more experience with them means that he knows what to do when they come.

Not a hater, just a guy who believed in Drew for too long, and loves the Bills too much to watch a quarterback who is a nice guy, but whom I have no confidence in anymore.  If they decide to go with Drew again, I'll root for him.  God, I desperately want him to do well.  I just don't think he has it in him.  I wanted, and still want, to be proven wrong.

201361[/snapback]

There are blitzes and there are blitzes. There was one in the Steelers game where they only brought 1 extra guy and he and the defensive end on the same side both came in unblocked. Five lousy guys rushing and two were unblocked. When I say they were unblocked, I mean they were not even touched and they didn't even have to go wide to do so. They were on Drew in less than 2 seconds. What is he supposed to do in that situation? Should he try and bring the ball up from his waist so that he can throw it away, risking a fumble if they get to him before he can unload it or should he tuck it in and take the sack? Either way his detractors are going to have a seizure about how he failed to throw it away or took a sack or fumbled. On top of that it was a third down so eating the ball means the drive is over. You can do that when you have a lead but when you are behind, don't you have to force the issue? You aren't going to score points and get back in it by throwing the ball out of bounds on third and ten. At some point, you have to try and make a play even if the odds are pretty long.

Drew may not be as mobile as Michael Vick but seriously, how many quarterbacks in the entire league could make two guys unblocked coming in on a straight line miss? Vick and McNabb maybe and that is about it. That is not a very revealing comment about Drew. We sort of knew he wasn't as elusive as those guys when we signed him. The thing is, you can get a SB ring with an immobile QB with a strong arm, you don't have to have one of the two or three guys in the league who can beat two unblocked blitzers to make a play.

Changing QB's is the knee jerk, quick fix solution that ignores a much bigger problem. We are not able to run the ball consistently well against defenses geared to stop the run yet we continue to try and do so anyway resulting in down and distance problems. Given our line, we aren't going to pick up many third and tens.

ross tucker is one of my favorite bills..i got to meet him once when he was with the skins because they had training camp at the college where i coach track....he also became very good friends with our throws coach (who landed an asst. strength training job with the skins while they were in carlisle) and had dinner at his house quite often.  when the bills signed him as an afterthought (remember, the skins released him), my colleague said "you watch...ross will hang around and hang around until he works his way into the line-up.  the bills will never be able to get rid of him."

apologies if i have told that story before, but i think it is sort of cool.  go ross!

201439[/snapback]

The local morning radio jock, due to the station's sponsorship, broadcasts from camp every year. They get a few players coming and going from practice (all pre-arranged). Tucker was one of the most entertaining guys on. He was energetic and engaging. I remember the question being raised about what he does when he completely dominates his man and he said something to the effect of "I just laugh like a little girl" and lets off this high pitched laugh...

I believe he was the one talking about growing up an Eagles fan, going to the training camps and getting autographs (I believe I remember him saying that this is the reason he never turns down an auto...) and then his first visit to Philly as a player...for the Redskins...Plenty of single-finger salutes to greet the team bus on its way into the stadium...