John Abraham

Beerball

Sorry if this has been posted before...

What's the feeling about John Abraham's statements about not playing in the jests win over SD?

I looked for the article (sent GG .02) but can't find his exact quote, so excuse me for paraphrasing...

When asked about not playing (he had been cleared to play by the medical staff) Abraham said something to the effect that he had to look at the big picture. This is a contract year for him, and he didn't want to take a chance on seriously injuring himself.

Someone in NYC can fill in the blanks if I am mis-stating anything?

What do you think? Should Abraham have played? Should he have just kept his mouth shut about his reason for not playing? If he was on your team what would you think?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Players understand that they truly get ONE chance to make big money in Free Agency. Abraham's knee could be made significantly worse and may cause him to miss a season rehabbing it.

Everytime something like this happens I think about Andre Reed and how timing really screwed the guy.

he's a PRO football player. He CAN play, he's one of the leaders of the team, they are in the playoffs and he is sitting out.

sounds like a player I'd like to have on my team in the crunch.

201270[/snapback]

You could probably count on one hand the players in the NFL who would suit up in a similiar situation. Big money causes people to look at things alot differently.

i'll gladly take him.

201281[/snapback]

Agreed. It's a knee injury if I'm not mistaken. If he screws it up he could end up losing the rest of his livelihood because of one game. I can understand why the guy would sit out a few games. He's got people to feed in his house too.

something tells me a real football player would have suited up.......it's the playoffs, not pre-season, long as you can walk you play........hearing crap like this reminds me how much this league misses a guy like chris spielman........

something tells me a real football player would have suited up.......it's the playoffs, not pre-season, long as you can walk you play........hearing crap like this reminds me how much this league misses a guy like chris spielman........

201364[/snapback]

I do not agree. This is the man's job. He risks never being able to do his job again if he aggravates this injury. It's his call and his decision. You may look at it like it's a game, but it's his life we are talking about. And I'm sure no one will be sending him checks to help pay the bills if he gets injured in this game and can never play again.

I do not agree. This is the man's job. He risks never being able to do his job again if he aggravates this injury. It's his call and his decision. You may look at it like it's a game, but it's his life we are talking about. And I'm sure no one will be sending him checks to help pay the bills if he gets injured in this game and can never play again.

201375[/snapback]

john abraham = loves money

chris spielman = loves the game

201364[/snapback]

I'm not sure how Spielmann would have handled it if it came in a contract year. It's easy to criticize when you're not in the situation.

I'm not sure how Spielmann would have handled it if it came in a contract year.  It's easy to criticize when you're not in the situation.

201383[/snapback]

on the field, speilman suffered eight bouts of total paralysis for seconds at a time before he finally told the doctors.......they found a herniated disk and it broke speilman to have to go on IR for the first time in his career......and he even came back from that injury when most of the guys who are only interested in a pay cheque would have hung them up........he loved the game and was a real football player........

and you think he would have sat out a PLAYOFF game after being cleared by doctors to play? give me a break.......

john abraham = loves money

chris spielman = loves the game

201377[/snapback]

Well then I love money too. I'm sure Mr. Abraham wants to play as all professional athletes do. But at the same time can he risk the livelhood of his family, the people who really depend on him, in order to appease the fans of the Jets. I don't think so. As a fan of the Jets I'd be disappointed, but as an adult with responsibilites I understand his intentions are good.

there is talk of the jets NOT franchising him. and insted franchising L. Jordan :w00t::w00t:

whats really strange is, im almost certain its true... :lol:;):);)

hes one of the best DEs in the game. but can we spend that much cash on D when we need other positions filled first.

on the field, speilman suffered eight bouts of total paralysis for seconds at a time before he finally told the doctors.......they found a herniated disk and it broke speilman to have to go on IR for the first time in his career......and he even came back from that injury when most of the guys who are only interested in a pay cheque would have hung them up........he loved the game and was a real football player........

and you think he would have sat out a PLAYOFF game after being cleared by doctors to play? give me a break.......

201405[/snapback]

Was he in a contract year when this happened?

201375[/snapback]

I build stone walls in the summer and have tweaked my back a few times. If I pick up a rock the wrong way or trip, I might not be able to do the job again. My clients should pay me to stand there all day and look at the rocks and never build their wall. That way I'll be fresh and ready for my next client.

:w00t:

Well then I love money too. I'm sure Mr. Abraham wants to play as all professional athletes do. But at the same time can he risk the livelhood of his family, the people who really depend on him, in order to appease the fans of the Jets. I don't think so. As a fan of the Jets I'd be disappointed, but as an adult with responsibilites I understand his intentions are good.

201411[/snapback]

players risk their livelhood every time they step on the field.........the difference between abraham and a real football players is that he thinks about it and a real football player accepts it as the price of playing a game they love.........

Was he in a contract year when this happened?

201415[/snapback]

are you for real? the man took a year away from the game he absolutely loves to care for his cancer stricken wife......and you think he cares about a pay cheque? he played the game because he loved it, not to get paid.......

I build stone walls in the summer and have tweaked my back a few times. If I pick up a rock the wrong way or trip, I might not be able to do the job again. My clients should pay me to stand there all day and look at the rocks and never build their wall. That way I'll be fresh and ready for my next client.

:w00t:

201416[/snapback]

Chances are if you "tweak" your back you will be able to work at some point again. It's been said over and over again the John Abraham could potentially cause damage to his knee that would take more than a year to rehab. If he does injure it the guy could be done. That's it. You could go get an office job and I doubt your pay would change that much. John would be losing millions. It's a little different.