John Abraham

Beerball

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

John Abraham is a bum. If you're medically cleared, you suit up. Even if you're only put in for situational plays (i.e. third down plays). Hell, if you suit up and aren't able to contribute as you would pre-injury you still make the Chargers have to account for you when you're on the field.

We're not talking about a walk on free agent here. This guy has already made good money. I'm can't feel sympathetic for him because he's looking at his big picture. I'm glad he's not a Bill.

John Abraham is a bum. If you're medically cleared, you suit up. Even if you're only put in for situational plays (i.e. third down plays). Hell, if you suit up and aren't able to contribute as you would pre-injury you still make the Chargers have to account for you when you're on the field.

We're not talking about a walk on free agent here. This guy has already made good money. I'm can't  feel sympathetic for him because he's looking at his big picture. I'm glad he's not a Bill.

202028[/snapback]

well said. I don't like the fact that he's telling Bonnie Bernstein (or whoever) before the game that he doesn't want to risk injury because free agency this offseason promises him a fortune. (he never said the injury was preventing him, but the possibility of further injury....that's the point here.)

also, I was pissed when Bruce missed a playoff game because of the flu. Suit up (as you said) because the mere thought of you in the game forces the opponent to game plan for you. come is as a decoy on some pass plays, have two guys come to double you and open up an opp for the other D-linemen to get one on one.

It bothers me that some think because he is looking out for himself, he can put the team he is WITH NOW in a bad position. You are still under contract with the team, not the one you MIGHT be with next season.

But, the fact still remains the same. The guy could possible ruin his career and he can be 100% sure he will not recieve the same long term contract he would recieve if he gets hurt.

As said before, just because the team doctor clears you does not mean you are ready to go. If I remember correctly Troy Vincent was cleared 3 weeks before he suited up.

As said before, just because the team doctor clears you does not mean you are ready to go. If I remember correctly Troy Vincent was cleared 3 weeks before he suited up.

202601[/snapback]

it's no wonder you don't "get it" -- there is a HUGE difference between a regular season game and a playoff game.......

it's no wonder you don't "get it" -- there is a HUGE difference between a regular season game and a playoff game.......

202653[/snapback]

Don't get what? If the guy isn't ready to go he isn't ready to go. I'm assuming the contract has something to do with it, but I don't know how he's feeling. There has been multiple articles saying that he's still not even 80%. Interesting Herm Edwards nor anyone on the Jets has said one thing about his "heart" but you guys who only read articles on the guy call him out.

Don't get what? If the guy isn't ready to go he isn't ready to go.

202673[/snapback]

hate to break it to ya, but he was cleared by doctors.....he was ready to go.......

I'm assuming the contract has something to do with it

it wasn't something to do with it, it was EVERYTHING.........that is what abraham said.........

Interesting Herm Edwards nor anyone on the Jets has said one thing about his "heart" but you guys who only read articles on the guy call him out.

actually, edwards and bradway have been defending him.......you would expect them to be negative about it? not when they're hoping to resign him/trade him.......of course they're going to kiss his ass.........

hate to break it to ya, but he was cleared by doctors.....he was ready to go.......

it wasn't something to do with it, it was EVERYTHING.........that is what abraham said.........

actually, they've edwards and bradway have been defending him.......you would expect them to be negative about it? not when they're hoping to resign him/trade him.......of course they're going to kiss his ass.........

202678[/snapback]

Not true, when he was cleared by the doctors to play he was still not even 75% by his own statments.

Show me the link saying it was everything because everything I've read and even what Bonnie B said was that it had something to do with it but it was not everything simply because he was not ready to go.

Not true, when he was cleared by the doctors to play he was still not even 75% by his own statments.

202682[/snapback]

he was cleared by doctors to play over a week before the game.......he was listed as probable -- i.e. the team EXPECTS him to play........he downgraded himself.......75% by his own statements? so now he's smarter then a doctor? please, i don't trust a word he says when it's obvious he has other motivation......

Show me the link saying it was everything because everything I've read and even what Bonnie B said was that it had something to do with it but it was not everything simply because he was not ready to go.

"I have to weigh my options"

options? what options? the only "option" he has to worry about is a playoff game and whether he is healthy enough to play (which the doctors deemed was the case).......otherwise, he's more concerned about money then rings.......plain and simple.......

Do you have any idea how many players play when they have an injury exactly like Abrahams? 

this isn't a case of the doctors recommending he not play, but he goes out and does it anyway - he has been cleared. Every player could hurthemselves every play.

201445[/snapback]

Put on a f'ng Don Joy knee brace and play, you kitty!!! Those braces hold everything in perfect position. No chance of a further tear or damage other than a bruise.

He sprained his knee. Same injury that Troy Vincent had and had to nurse but everyone bashed on here b/c he wasn't ready to come back.

201481[/snapback]

Troy Vincent didn't sprain his knee. He had torn cartilage. Not the same injury. You must have never injured your knee, because you don't appear to know the difference.

he was cleared by doctors to play over a week before the game.......he was listed as probable -- i.e. the team EXPECTS him to play........he downgraded himself.......75% by his own statements? so now he's smarter then a doctor? please, i don't trust a word he says when it's obvious he has other motivation......

"I have to weigh my options"

options? what options? the only "option" he has to worry about is a playoff game and whether he is healthy enough to play (which the doctors deemed was the case).......otherwise, he's more concerned about money then rings.......plain and simple.......

202704[/snapback]

I'll end this conversation by saying we agree to disagree. It's not going anywhere. I believe the guy is doing the right thing, you believe he's not.

Put on a f'ng Don Joy knee brace and play, you kitty!!!  Those braces hold everything in perfect position.  No chance of a further tear or damage other than a bruise.

202761[/snapback]

Yeah! my Gold Point allows me to continue on two feet while I wait for the surgeon to squeeze me into his sched.

Don't get what? If the guy isn't ready to go he isn't ready to go. I'm assuming the contract has something to do with it, but I don't know how he's feeling. There has been multiple articles saying that he's still not even 80%. Interesting Herm Edwards nor anyone on the Jets has said one thing about his "heart" but you guys who only read articles on the guy call him out.

202673[/snapback]

"you guys who only read articles on the guy"

so, you've examinied him and sat with him, have you?

:lol:

"...because everything I've read.."

:)

"you guys who only read articles on the guy"

so, you've examinied him and sat with him, have you?

:lol:

"...because everything I've read.."

:)

202881[/snapback]

no, but it says that in my post. Oh, wait, you decided to leave that part out.

If you are attempting to say I'm contradicting myself you are incorrect. I asked for links showing me that Abe is sitting out merely because of his contract. In the mean time "everything I've read" has indicated he is not at playing condition.

If you are attempting to say I'm contradicting myself you are incorrect. I asked for links showing me that Abe is sitting out merely because of his contract. In the mean time "everything I've read" has indicated he is not at playing condition.

202893[/snapback]

I'm old school - I still think he's a bum. We're talking play offs not some week 2 game against the 49ers. Yes I know that the nfl is a business and that a player is fortunate to get one or two huge contracts if he's lucky before he's injured or forced out by a younger, less expensive player. The bottom line is that for Abraham to even bring the money issue to the surface in a discussion about whether or not he was going to play in a playoff game just shows how out of touch he is with the concept of team player.

Here's an article from superbowl.com that mentions the contract situation:

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (Jan. 11, 2005) -- Jets defensive end John Abraham is

questionable for New York's playoff game against the Pittsburgh

Steelers with a sprained right knee.

Coach Herman Edwards said Abraham is still sore and would make a

game-time decision on the status of his Pro Bowl player. Abraham was

initially listed as probable to start the week after missing his fifth

straight game with the injury. Last week, Abraham said he needed to

weigh his options when deciding whether to play because of his

impeding free agency.

Though Abraham is still sore, Edwards expects him to participate when

the team returns to practice Jan. 12.

"When a player can't go full speed you really don't want to put him in

harm's way," Edwards said. "It's best for John, best for the team until he

can go full speed he shouldn't play. He's going to do everything he can

this week to try to be prepared."

http://www.superbowl.com/news/story/8089333

202893[/snapback]

THIS IS GETTING REDUNDANT BUT HERE GOES:

"Interesting Herm Edwards nor anyone on the Jets has said one thing about his "heart" but you guys who only read articles on the guy call him out. "

you wrote it. also, if all we do is read articles, and i give you a link to one that says it questions his heart, what does that matter? You'll just accuse me again of basing it on an article.

but here's on anyway (which I am not basing my opinion on, but to show it is a topic of discussion outside this forum):

Madden reserved his criticism for John Abraham, who did not play for fear of reinjuring his strained right knee ligament and hurting his value as a free agent. "That's what I hate about this," he said. "The Jets need John Abraham."

On ESPN's "Sunday NFL Countdown," Mike Ditka was more direct: "I would not let him stand on the sidelines with my football team."

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/11/sports/f...tner=ALTAVISTA1

more:

Abraham, who has missed four games with a damaged lateral collateral ligament, had been pointing toward the playoff opener as his return date. But on Wednesday, he cast doubt on the matter by saying he felt "a little tentative" in practice.

The prospect of playing on a soggy field probably factored into his decision. It rained yesterday in the San Diego area, and the wet weather is expected to continue tonight.

Abraham will be an unrestricted free agent after the season, and would be risking a huge payday if he reinjures his knee - a scenario he admitted was part of his thought process on whether to play.

also:

Last week, Abraham said he needed to weigh his options when deciding whether to play because of his impeding free agency

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/NFL/200.../809163-ap.html

more:

Abraham practiced all of last week and was cleared by New York's medical staff to play, but decided to sit out, citing the fact that he did not want to jeopardize his upcoming free agent contract with further injury.

"I expect him to practice again this week," Edwards said. "It will be probably a game-time decision again. Hopefully he’s getting better this week. He really was trying to play. He just felt he couldn’t do it, and that was probably best."

i defend my position to read between these lines. It'll be interesting to see what is said after the playoffs if the Jets lose.

THIS IS GETTING REDUNDANT BUT HERE GOES:

"Interesting Herm Edwards nor anyone on the Jets has said one thing about his "heart" but you guys who only read articles on the guy call him out. "

I wouldn't expect a HC who is trying to resign a guy to question that guy's heart. It also doesn't surprise me that a blowhard like Ditka who never questioned Ricky Williams' heart was quick to criticize Abraham. Mostly because there are no consequences for him.

I say if he's cleared to play and CHOOSES not to then fine him. It's pretty pathetic that he stands on the sidelines and collects a playoff game check while able to play but choosing not to. His statements are probably going to hurt his free agency status. Who wants to sign a selfish player like that?

I say if he's cleared to play and CHOOSES not to then fine him. It's pretty pathetic that he stands on the sidelines and collects a playoff game check while able to play but choosing not to. His statements are probably going to hurt his free agency status. Who wants to sign a selfish player like that?

202986[/snapback]

Since he's a pass rushing defensive end? Probably virtually any team that can afford him.