John Abraham

Beerball

are you for real? the man took a year away from the game he absolutely loves to care for his cancer stricken wife......and you think he cares about a pay cheque? he played the game because he loved it, not to get paid.......

201421[/snapback]

Most people I know can't afford to stop working if their wife gets cancer. They end up working two jobs to support that loss of income. While it's a noble act and I would never question the heart of the man, football, the business he was in allowed for him to take this time off because he was well paid. If he was a stone worker I doubt he'd be able to do this.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chances are if you "tweak" your back you will be able to work at some point again. It's been said over and over again the John Abraham could potentially cause damage to his knee that would take more than a year to rehab. If he does injure it the guy could be done. That's it. You could go get an office job and I doubt your pay would change that much. John would be losing millions. It's a little different.

201422[/snapback]

Every time I pick up a 100-pound rock I could potentially drop the rock and crush my foot, even with heavy boots and be out of commission for a long time, office job or no, not even factoring in medical bills.

This man is paid very well to do a job that he is not doing, after he's been medically cleared by doctors. Maybe the Jets or his next team should buy him a plastic bubble.

How in the hellfire can you and others defend this guy and then rag on Ricky Williams?

It's been said over and over again the John Abraham could potentially cause damage to his knee that would take more than a year to rehab

Do you have any idea how many players play when they have an injury exactly like Abrahams?

this isn't a case of the doctors recommending he not play, but he goes out and does it anyway - he has been cleared. Every player could hurthemselves every play.

Most people I know can't afford to stop working if their wife gets cancer. They end up working two jobs to support that loss of income. While it's a noble act and I would never question the heart of the man, football, the business he was in allowed for him to take this time off because he was well paid. If he was a stone worker I doubt he'd be able to do this.

201432[/snapback]

how does this change the fact a real football player would have played after being cleared by doctors to suit up?? abraham is obviously not a real football player, or he wouldn't give two sh*ts about his next contract........all a real football player cares about is winning, and if abraham is too scrared to get on the field maybe he needs a new job.........

How in the hellfire can you and others defend this guy and then rag on Ricky Williams?

201435[/snapback]

Ricky made a decision to quit the game. He screwed his team and the fans of Miami. He's a bum b/c he walked away while he was under contract.

JA is under contract and is injured. He's been cleared to play by the doctors. In the NFL this doesn't mean much. I've seen players (Steve Young) go out and play while having a concussion that could have resulted in death.

Do you have any idea how many players play when they have an injury exactly like Abrahams? 

this isn't a case of the doctors recommending he not play, but he goes out and does it anyway - he has been cleared. Every player could hurthemselves every play.

201445[/snapback]

He sprained his knee. Same injury that Troy Vincent had and had to nurse but everyone bashed on here b/c he wasn't ready to come back.

Ricky made a decision to quit the game. He screwed his team and the fans of Miami. He's a bum b/c he walked away while he was under contract.

JA is under contract and is injured. He's been cleared to play by the doctors. In the NFL this doesn't mean much. I've seen players (Steve Young) go out and play while having a concussion that could have resulted in death.

201474[/snapback]

ricky walked away because he was worried about his long-term health....abraham sat out because he was worried about his long-term health.......they both were cleared to play by doctors.......what is the difference, other then abraham getting paid to screw his team vs. williams not taking a pay cheque for doing nothing?

are you for real? the man took a year away from the game he absolutely loves to care for his cancer stricken wife......and you think he cares about a pay cheque? he played the game because he loved it, not to get paid.......

201421[/snapback]

Yeah, he played for free because he didn't care about the money...

two words:

Jack Youngblood

Two more aspirin!!!

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/therams79/sounds/toz10.wav

Broke it in a playoff game against Dallas. Then he played in the NFC Championship and SB. STARTED and played the entire 2 games.

suck it up Abraham

201745[/snapback]

The Devil's advocate in me reminds that Youngblood played before the era of free agency.

The Devil's advocate in me reminds that Youngblood played before the era of free agency.

201748[/snapback]

oh boo hoo. all the more reason for guys like Abraham and today's athlete to play through even more pain. THEY GET PAID A HELL OF ALLOT MORE. AND THE DRUGS ARE BETTER. Plus, with today's advances in science and medicine, the better your chances are of coming back from injury. You mean to tell me Abraham's knee injury is worse than Willis'? RB's use more threatening cuts and impact their joints more than speed rushers do.

another thing, back then I'm sure guys like Youngblood didn't have their future's as secure as players do today when it comes to injury settlements and what not.

2 more aspirin

oh boo hoo. all the more reason for guys like Abraham and today's athlete to play through even more pain. THEY GET PAID A HELL OF ALLOT MORE. AND THE DRUGS ARE BETTER. Plus, with today's advances in science and medicine, the better your chances are of coming back from injury. You mean to tell me Abraham's knee injury is worse than Willis'? RB's use more threatening cuts and impact their joints more than speed rushers do.

another thing, back then I'm sure guys like Youngblood didn't have their future's as secure as players do today when it comes to injury settlements and what not.

2 more aspirin

201776[/snapback]

I mean to tell you that if he ends up tearing that ACL the owners are going to have more power over him than he'll have over the owners. He'll command a large contract by not getting hurt. But, if he comes out and plays a few plays and gets injured he's screwed. He's left questioning what could have been for a long time.

He's make a wise move financially. And I don't blame him.

I mean to tell you that if he ends up tearing that ACL the owners are going to have more power over him than he'll have over the owners. He'll command a large contract by not getting hurt. But, if he comes out and plays a few plays and gets injured he's screwed. He's left questioning what could have been for a long time.

He's make a wise move financially. And I don't blame him.

201792[/snapback]

again, if I'm a GM looking to dump boatloads of money on him, I gotta question his heart and dedictaion to the TEAM/ORGANIZATION first. I'm not thinking about him "doing what's right for him". I'm thinking "he didn't go in the playoffs....THE PLAYOFFS!!!"

2 more aspirin

201776[/snapback]

There's a vast difference between playing hurt and playing injured. It's easy to talk about it when you're sitting in an office chair and YOUR livelihood isn't on the line.

I definitely side with Abraham on this one. Look, he's injured, and if he plays it could get worse and cost him millions. Of course he sits. If the Jets had locked him long term before the season, maybe he risks it. But they didn't, and that's a choice they made while knowing that what's happening now is possible.

There's a vast difference between playing hurt and playing injured.  It's easy to talk about it when you're sitting in an office chair and YOUR livelihood isn't on the line.

201818[/snapback]

funny thing is, I am sitting here at work with a severed ACL (second time) and torn MCL, miniscus damage, and cracked knee cap. No kidding!!! I go for my second knee surgery in 3 weeks. BTW, i've missed 0 hours of work.

But I'm not an NFL player. But that doesn't mean I can't have an opinion on it.

I guess you can't have an opinion on Randy Moss mock mooning, because you have never had to deal with the crowd in Lambeau and you never caught a TD in the Playoffs therefore you've never fealt the exhileration of that type of moment....

what else is required of me to give my opinion? I better rethink everything before I post again. C'mon AD.

funny thing is, I am sitting here at work with a severed ACL (second time) and torn MCL, miniscus damage, and cracked knee cap. No kidding!!! I go for my second knee surgery in 3 weeks. BTW, i've missed 0 hours of work.

201834[/snapback]

That's why I haven't joined fight club.

But I'm not an NFL player. But that doesn't mean I can't have an opinion on it.

I guess you can't have an opinion on Randy Moss mock mooning, because you have never had to deal with the crowd in Lambeau and you never caught a TD in the Playoffs therefore you've never fealt the exhileration of that type of moment....

what else is required of me to give my opinion? I better rethink everything before I post again. C'mon AD.

201834[/snapback]

You can certainly have an opinion on it. But you'll see throughout my posting "career" here at TBD that I'm slow to criticize anyone for not rushing back and prematurely ending their career. Not to mention that him coming back as a shell of himself doesn't necessarily help his team.

Worked the same way in the military. Sometimes guys comeback too soon because they feel they have a duty to do that (not John Kerry, though :doh:). Many times it hurts their unit because they can't do their job effectively.

As far as Moss goes, it's a non-issue for me. I understood why he did it and thought it was funny. Classless? Maybe, but nowhere near the story it ended up being and the disgust that was shown in the postgame by Terry, Howie, etc was pretty funny. Feel free to speak out strongly against Leonard Little, you fuggin' hypocrites. Dude KILLED somebody. KILLED them.