What's the point of an LED light bulb???

Fezmid

So I went to the Minnesota Twins game today (they got destroyed...), and they were giving everyone an LED light bulb when they left. It was a giveaway sponsored by the local power company, Xcel Energy.

Anyway, I thought that was pretty cool - they cost too much (these ones are about $16/ea on the Internet) compared to a regular bulb, but I figured it'd be nice to try them out.

Then I read the fine print on the box. Don't use them outdoors. (so much for it being a security light). Use them only in dry areas (so much for using it in the bathroom). Do not use them with regular dimmers (so much for using them in the bedroom ceiling fan fixture). Do not use them in a lamp. (Huh? Why not?). Do not use them in enclosed fixtures (so much using them in the bedrooms, hallways, or pretty much anywhere else!!!)

So where CAN I use these stupid things?! And what's wrong with the 50 cent incandescent lights again...?? :wallbash:

LED or those curly cue fluorescents?

Definitely LED -this one, specifically: http://www.elightbulbs.com/Maxlite-90486-SKB07DLED30-A-Line-Pear-LED-Light-Bulb

gjnoronh -- what good are energy savings if you can't actually put the bulb in any of your fixtures?

Knowing where it's OK to place an LED will ensure that the bulb won't fizzle ahead of its time.

You probably know that LED bulbs run dramatically cooler than their incandescent cousins, but that doesn't mean they don't produce heat. LED bulbs do get hot, but the heat is pulled away by a heat sink in the base of the bulb. From there, the heat dissipates into the air and the LED bulb stays cool, helping to keep its promise of a very long life.

And therein lies the problem: the bulb needs a way to dissipate the heat. If an LED bulb is placed in an enclosed housing, the heat won't have anywhere to go, sending it right back to the bulb, and sentencing it to a slow and painful death.

Consider where you'd like to place your LED bulbs. If you have fully or semi-enclosed fixtures you need to light up, look for LEDs that are approved for recessed or enclosed spaces.

$23.99! They seem OK in flashlights though but it's a odd blue-purple lighting.

I think they've done a lot of work to make the LED light look more like regular incandescent bulbs -- we screwed these in and it looks very similar -- I'm just shocked that you can't use these new bulbs in many places. Don't most people have their bulbs in some sort of enclosed space? (or outdoors)

I think they've done a lot of work to make the LED light look more like regular incandescent bulbs -- we screwed these in and it looks very similar -- I'm just shocked that you can't use these new bulbs in many places. Don't most people have their bulbs in some sort of enclosed space? (or outdoors)

Can't speak to the bulb you have, but there isn't a problem using LED's outside. Many signs you see on businesses are LED. Perhaps they are telling you that a naked bulb can't be used outside (but you wouldn't do that with a typical bulb either, would you?)

Can't speak to the bulb you have, but there isn't a problem using LED's outside. Many signs you see on businesses are LED. Perhaps they are telling you that a naked bulb can't be used outside (but you wouldn't do that with a typical bulb either, would you?)

LED light bulbs are different than LEDs for signs. My understanding with these bulbs is that there's electronics in the base that aren't weather proof. In addition, you can't put them in an enclosed area (like a globe in your bedroom) because then the heat can't escape, which fries the electronics. With a billboard (for example), the electronics aren't in each individual bulb.

We were at the Angels game yesterday. It was Armed Forces Day and they were giving out baseball hats with military camouflage and the Angels logo. Needless to say, my son was thrilled.

In comparison, you sound like Charlie Brown on Halloween. "I got a light bulb."

LED light bulbs are different than LEDs for signs. My understanding with these bulbs is that there's electronics in the base that aren't weather proof. In addition, you can't put them in an enclosed area (like a globe in your bedroom) because then the heat can't escape, which fries the electronics. With a billboard (for example), the electronics aren't in each individual bulb.

The ones in use in my home are not a problem. Not sure what you mean by globe, unless you're thinking of the old fashioned glass covers that I haven't seen in years. Our lights are surrounded by a shade or (spots) open. I've seen them enclosed in offices (overhead lighting).

We use them "outside" and the outside is an Airport. They're much brighter and crisper than the old bulbs BUT they don't get warm. If/when is snows they easily get snow covered and that is a big problem. if we have an LED airfield sign, and the sign face faces the wind during a snow, the snow will cover the sign face and that's a problem. They do save energy but we sometimes get complaints that they are 'too bright,." even when they are turned down to the lowest step.

LED "light bulbs" as many know are Light Emitting Diodes. They have been around for many decades. They were first used on all sorts of electronic gear. (think the little red or green light when a stereo was on in the 60's 70's --to present.)

The problems you think come from LED light bulbs is not the diodes themselves but the arrays they are inserted in and power supplies to fire them. Typically a led bulb will have between one and hundreds to tens of thousands (in an array) to produce light. These are mounted on boards and for outdoor use must have obvious protections from the elements. Special films are developed to spread the light horizontially. These are also likely to damage if the bulb is not designed for say outdoor use.

Many people mistakenly will say the have a LED TV. This is incorrect. What they have is a LCD display with LED backlighting (which replaced miniature fluorescent tubes on latter RPTV and now flat screens. reducing noise, short life, and crap resolution.

Apple, and many others are working on strictly LED flatscreens. Just one of the huge technical hurdles are producing square LED's since spreading the light again horizontally at this time requires specially optical films most of which many are still patent protected.and extremely difficult and pricey to produce. These films are all micro replicated, their "sidewalls" are measured in wavelengths of light so obviously the manufacturing process is complex. Really these films in some products are the reason some LED lighting is so pricey. But you get what you pay for.

Orginally made in only red, then green and blue and now white (often referred to the RGB portion of a RPTV. This allowed them to become usable for all sorts of screens years ago Sharp developed a yellow LED and for awhile produced large flat screen TV (although still backlit LCD's) With the claim they added over one million new colors to the TV. In a exaggerated sense that is true. Many would rather describe it as just simple nuances on existing colors. The TV's are/were very impressive.

LED's are the future in lighting for many reasons. their life is extremely long. They require little maintainence. Example is the McDonalds yellow M in northern California (at least) are all film spread LEDS. The cost saving in just maintenance is in the millions. We have 2 LED lights in the kitchen that have not been turned off in over 5 years. Both of them cost less than a quarter a month to operate.They generate little to no measurable heat. They consume very little power. A backlit 40" flatscreen costs around 15 bucks a year to operate. Lastly the technology is light. For those that owned plasma's then switched to LED backlit they know what I'm saying.

LED's are the future in lighting for many reasons. their life is extremely long. They require little maintainence. Example is the McDonalds yellow M in northern California (at least) are all film spread LEDS. The cost saving in just maintenance is in the millions. We have 2 LED lights in the kitchen that have not been turned off in over 5 years. Both of them cost less than a quarter a month to operate.They generate little to no measurable heat. They consume very little power. A backlit 40" flatscreen costs around 15 bucks a year to operate. Lastly the technology is light. For those that owned plasma's then switched to LED backlit they know what I'm saying.

This is a local company....

http://www.ephesuslighting.com/

After the Super Bowl power outage, then 30 minute wait for the lights to come back on, they said using their technology, the lights would have been back on as soon as someone flicked the switch.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2013/02/syracuse_company_says_lights_o.html

The ones in use in my home are not a problem. Not sure what you mean by globe, unless you're thinking of the old fashioned glass covers that I haven't seen in years. Our lights are surrounded by a shade or (spots) open. I've seen them enclosed in offices (overhead lighting).

post-876-0-05698300-1368998914_thumb.jpg

I've attached a picture of a "globe" in our hallway -- I was going to use the LEDs here, for example, but because it's entirely enclosed, I can't since the electronics will heat up and there's no where for the heat to go. :(

Based on the box, I think I can use this model in an open or recessed light at least, so there's that. Still annoying.

post-876-0-05698300-1368998914_thumb.jpg

I've attached a picture of a "globe" in our hallway -- I was going to use the LEDs here, for example, but because it's entirely enclosed, I can't since the electronics will heat up and there's no where for the heat to go. :(

Based on the box, I think I can use this model in an open or recessed light at least, so there's that. Still annoying.

It's a free lightbulb, just stick it in there and see how long it lasts.

We were at the Angels game yesterday. It was Armed Forces Day and they were giving out baseball hats with military camouflage and the Angels logo. Needless to say, my son was thrilled.

In comparison, you sound like Charlie Brown on Halloween. "I got a light bulb."

I was thinking the same thing but wasn't quite sure how to put it. Thanks. I would have looked at it and said. "Really, a !@#$ing light bulb?" We got Jerry Garcia bobbleheads a few years ago at Jerry Garcia night at a Giants game (only in SF). My wife looked at hers and said "oh, he's anatomically correct!" I was looking for a bulge in his pants or something. Then I noticed it was missing it's middle finger on it's right hand.

Oh and it was fireworks night at the A's game last night. We're in the hills right above stadium and it was a hell of a show. They spared no expense.

Edited by Chef Jim