When Was Last Time Players REALLY Trusted The System

I know they all say they do in interviews but I have a hard time believing they have been on the same page in quite a few years. I think this is going to be the key to this team and I also believe that for the first time in a looong time, the system that is being installed is going to maximize the talents of this team. With the potential of Manuel along with the exciting possibilities of the WR corp and young LBs, the Ralph is going to be an even more beautiful place to be.

Maybe the record this year will only reflect a handful of wins but I think this train is on the right track and this could be a pretty special group as they grow together (players and coaches) over the next several years. The atmosphere at the Ralph is going to be restored sooner than later and when it happens.......oh my.

If you listened close to what the Bills offensive players, they absolutely LOVED Chan Gailey and his system, especially Fred and CJ, and Stevie, who were the leaders of the team. Fitz loved him. I have heard Wood talk effusively about him, too. There is zero question in my mind that the offensive guys totally bought into Chan and his system. CJ really liked Chan especially, and despite what a lot of posters would write about Chan's inability to get CJ the ball, CJ could go on and on about how the play design was amazing and that opened up the field for him.

On defense, I have no idea, because I never heard them talk so openly enthusiastic about any of the coaches, although Wanny had their respect simply from his stature and past.

If you listened close to what the Bills offensive players, they absolutely LOVED Chan Gailey and his system, especially Fred and CJ, and Stevie, who were the leaders of the team. Fitz loved him. I have heard Wood talk effusively about him, too. There is zero question in my mind that the offensive guys totally bought into Chan and his system. CJ really liked Chan especially, and despite what a lot of posters would write about Chan's inability to get CJ the ball, CJ could go on and on about how the play design was amazing and that opened up the field for him.

On defense, I have no idea, because I never heard them talk so openly enthusiastic about any of the coaches, although Wanny had their respect simply from his stature and past.

Like I said though, I don't trust anything to be truth when players are interviewed (especially when it involves talk about gameplans). I would be willing to bet CJ was not too happy during many games no matter what he said.......

Like I said though, I don't trust anything to be truth when players are interviewed (especially when it involves talk about gameplans). I would be willing to bet CJ was not too happy during many games no matter what he said.......

Speaking of CJ:

@ESPNNFL

Tweet us your questions for @BuffaloBills RB @CJSPILLER using #AskCJ. Best questions to air on #NFLLive w/@wingoz at 4pm ET today.

I want to know is it still Fred's turn?

As far as the previous regime goes, I agree with Kelly that the offensive players really liked Gailey's system. I think the team simply didn't have enough talent on that side of the ball.

Defensively the Bills were more talented than the offense but I believe to the OP's point that the defensive players had zero faith in Wanny's system. I thought that was obvious from body language and performance.

I thought that, too, because it was only natural to believe that. I know for a fact that I was VERY surprised about 3-4 different times when I heard CJ absolutely glowing about how great and smart Chan was, and that the plays he designed specifically to get CJ out in the open worked so well. CJ is an extremely interesting guy to listen closely to. I love when reporters ask him leading questions, and then he will just say, "Not really," and then contradict it. I think he tells it like it is, and while he is a very positive guy, and won't badmouth people, I think he really, really has a ton of respect for Chan, when you would think he would feel like he was held back by Chan.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

It's no surprise that the offense liked Gailey. A mild-mannered guy who gave Fitz and WRs more freedom than they'd ever see with another coach, especially Stevie. And I agree that CJ is sincere about his praise about how Gailey wanted to use him... but, he held his tongue when it came to playing time.

The positive talk about the coaches now means nothing. From recent interviews, some players don't know what their plan even is yet.

It's no surprise that the offense liked Gailey. A mild-mannered guy who gave Fitz and WRs more freedom than they'd ever see with another coach, especially Stevie. And I agree that CJ is sincere about his praise about how Gailey wanted to use him... but, he held his tongue when it came to playing time.

The positive talk about the coaches now means nothing. From recent interviews, some players don't know what their plan even is yet.

Yeah Mario Williams still seems somewhat perplexed talking about the new defense…. just as he did 2 weeks ago.

That's a bit disturbing.

Maybe it's just a hard defense to describe. That's what I'm hoping.

I thought that, too, because it was only natural to believe that. I know for a fact that I was VERY surprised about 3-4 different times when I heard CJ absolutely glowing about how great and smart Chan was, and that the plays he designed specifically to get CJ out in the open worked so well. CJ is an extremely interesting guy to listen closely to. I love when reporters ask him leading questions, and then he will just say, "Not really," and then contradict it. I think he tells it like it is, and while he is a very positive guy, and won't badmouth people, I think he really, really has a ton of respect for Chan, when you would think he would feel like he was held back by Chan.

You have to remember, until now Chan's the only HC/OC CJ has known in the NFL. I'm sure he'll be singing the praises of Nate Hackett and Coach Marrone pretty soon.

Our playmakers liked Chan's system. The major problem was that we had a QB who was lousy. A good QB and the system looks a whole lot better. That being said, Chan did not adapt his system to our strength, which was pounding the ball w our running game. He also left the defense in the hands of a D Coordinator who went into Ted Williams cryogenetic brain lock, and never defrosted. Because of that and his horrible game management Chan Gailey is thankfully not the head coach of our beloved Bills.

So is the point of this thread that in the past despite what players said they never trusted any previous system, but now they REALLY do?

Before they were lying, but now we know for sure that they REALLY trust this new system that has just recently been shown to most of them?

REALLY? :)

So is the point of this thread that in the past despite what players said they never trusted any previous system, but now they REALLY do?

Before they were lying, but now we know for sure that they REALLY trust this new system that has just recently been shown to most of them?

REALLY? :)

Well seeing some interviews where they were basically giggling about how many great looks the D is going to have - YES, I would say they REALLY are genuinely excited. You could see the smiles on their faces and the excitement in the potential. I don't recall seeing that for a long time.

Well seeing some interviews where they were basically giggling about how many great looks the D is going to have - YES, I would say they REALLY are genuinely excited. You could see the smiles on their faces and the excitement in the potential. I don't recall seeing that for a long time.

I would agree with that even though I was the one earlier stating that they loved Chan's offense. The guy I am most surprised with is Hackett. He was my least favorite hire but the players (even Fred Davis when he was here) just glow about him and its not only just his energy which everyone talks about and has nothing to do with whether he is a good coach or not.

I'm a firm believer in the fact that all players will all compliment their coaches. But I also believe if you listen to everything and listen closely you can often discern some genuine excitement versus common worthless praise

Yeah Mario Williams still seems somewhat perplexed talking about the new defense…. just as he did 2 weeks ago.

That's a bit disturbing.

Maybe it's just a hard defense to describe. That's what I'm hoping.

I think that the team has been given a 'gag order' when it comes to explaining scheme. Every time I hear an interview, it's filled with vague clichés and awkward pauses. Dareus was on 1270 yest and couldn't really say much about the d when asked either.

I think that the team has been given a 'gag order' when it comes to explaining scheme. Every time I hear an interview, it's filled with vague clichés and awkward pauses. Dareus was on 1270 yest and couldn't really say much about the d when asked either.

Good theory.

I'm buying it.

I think players bought in and trusted the Gailey system. What makes you think they're buying in and trusting Coach Marrone's system? Especially if you can't go by what they say?

Well Chris Brown was just on WGR and he said that Bills player (to a man) say they are reacting to these coaches like he has never seen before. I would say that is a pretty darn good sign.....

Our playmakers liked Chan's system. The major problem was that we had a QB who was lousy. A good QB and the system looks a whole lot better. That being said, Chan did not adapt his system to our strength, which was pounding the ball w our running game. He also left the defense in the hands of a D Coordinator who went into Ted Williams cryogenetic brain lock, and never defrosted. Because of that and his horrible game management Chan Gailey is thankfully not the head coach of our beloved Bills.

I can readily believe that the offensive players liked Gailey's system. I think Gailey showed that he is a very good play designer. Ultimately his downfall was the playcalling, but I think the plays he developed gave a lot of players the opportunity to shine - he just didn't have a good sense of the best situations to use those plays.

Mario had an interesting quote along these lines in the Buff News. The article is all about how everyone on the team is talking about "playing like a Bill":

"It's definitely changed since the new coaching staff's came in here," Williams said. "It's just being relentless and the mentality of going out and being disruptive and attacking, being aggressive, being accountable. Just going out here and making plays and trusting the scheme, trusting the system, trusting your coaches, to not go out there and do something you're not supposed to.

"The scheme they have is pretty good. As long as we go out there and we all can say, 'Are you playing like a Bill?' -- which is our mentality, our motto -- we'll be all right."

And what was last year's definition of a Bill?

"I couldn't tell you," Williams said. "That was last year."

I don't know about football, but I do like that phrase: playing like a Bill. Of course, 'playing like a Bill' has meant 'being a doormat' for a long time. Hopefully, it means something else now.

kj

Forgot the link: http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/2013/05/mario-williams-explains-what-being-a-bill-is-supposed-to-mean.html?ref=bmh

Edited by l< j