No Bills talk on WGR

Disagree.

Not so much on Sunday but on Saturday all of that Woods-Garcia focus was directed towards the casual fan, not the serious fan.

NOt sure the point you're making here SJBF. I was responding to someone that said that true sports fans don't care about the PGA. I was disagreeing. Most big sports fans I know are into the PGA and watch at least the big tournies. I agree with you that reporting on Woods/Sergio targets a more casual golf fan, but that's not what I was talking about.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NOt sure the point you're making here SJBF. I was responding to someone that said that true sports fans don't care about the PGA. I was disagreeing. Most big sports fans I know are into the PGA and watch at least the big tournies. I agree with you that reporting on Woods/Sergio targets a more casual golf fan, but that's not what I was talking about.

Sorry!

I didn't grasp the conversation.

:oops:

I thought I was the only one that noticed this. I'm curious about another station as well. I cannot believe the Bills are so blatantly ignored on a daily basis. The 2 most recent times were when Sheppard was traded and all morning they talked about was hockey. And then the Monday morning after a 3 days Bills rookie camp, I turn on the radio hoping to hear some thoughts or insider information from someone actually attending the practices and once again it's hockey and Tiger freaking Woods and Sergio Garcia. I literally couldn't believe it. I knew immediately that that was what was on the front page of the Buffalo News sports section, because that's what they'll always talk about. I for one could care less about golf or the rest of the Nhl world, especially after the Sabres season is over. I want to hear about the Buffalo Bills. From someone that actually attended the practices. I want to hear about how EJ Manuel looked. Why Da'Rick Rogers was getting no catches. On Kiko Alonso flying around and hitting his teammates. On how easily Goodwin ran past everyone. So then my next alternative is to come on here and I get to read about posters bashing the Bills, or fighting like children amongst themselves, or policing the boards like they own them and no one else is entitled to have an opinion unless they devote their entire existence to the site and have 5000 posts. I just want to get easy to access, quick information about the team I grew up loving. Some posters are very knowledgeable, and others provide valuable links to other sites that are extremely informative and interesting. I thoroughly enjoy their posts. I listen generally in the morning to Howard Simon and at 3:00 to Schopp and the Bulldog. Those are when I'm driving to work, and driving home. I would love to listen to Murph but I'm home trying to spend time with my family. I wish WGR would move John Murphy to an earlier time. I'm sick about listening to days upon days about hockey and the 5 million games they play. I may be forced to just trying to listen to recordings of the John Murphy Show. I even wish the Bills would post more videos of the practices. 3 minutes just isn't enough. I would even pay to get access to watching practices live or to even watching recordings of them. Well I guess I'm rambling about pretty much everything, but I am 46 years old. I love the Bills. I'm a season ticket holder. I've been to both Dallas Superbowls. I've spent thousands of dollars on Superbowl tickets to watch my beloved Bills get annihilated while listening to heckling and jeering from boastful Dallas fans. My children are barely even interested in the Bills because they've never seen a winning team or the Bills in the playoffs. But I hang on to the past hoping that the Bills will become amazing again in my lifetime.

You should podcast the Murphy show and listen to that during the day.

this times 1,000,000,000,000,000...

I also hate the Roofing and VW commercials so much I can't stand it. And it's like they are the only ones on.

Sometimes I feel like taking a trip to the VW dealership just to hang out, drink their free coffee, test drive like every car on the lot in every different color and be like... Thanks for hanging today guys, have a good one.

I'm glad somebody brought up that VW commercial. Could you imagine actually doing what they say - just going there to hang out. "We'll talk about cars when you're ready." I really would never buy anything from them, because it is so stupid.

There's one now for an orthodontist office that keeps saying the Wise Choice. But, I don't know if it's Weiss Ortho or what, because they say the name of the place so fast that I don't know what it is, but they Wise a million times!

Then, one law firm sounds like "Scam Law Firm" to me - at least they get credit for truth in advertising.

Do yorselves a favor. Listen to AM 1270 The Fan. Rich Gaenzler does a great job middays. Guests everyday and fast moving due to multiple topics.

And most importantly, he is aware that the Bills are working out and that the Sabres season is done.

Do yorselves a favor. Listen to AM 1270 The Fan. Rich Gaenzler does a great job middays. Guests everyday and fast moving due to multiple topics.

And most importantly, he is aware that the Bills are working out and that the Sabres season is done.

So, if I happen to tune in and he is talking about something other than the Bills at that time, does that mean he never talks about the Bills?

1270 The Fan? I didn't realize there was another option. Rich Gaenzler has his own show? Thats sounds like a better option than Chap and Poodle.

You should podcast the Murphy show and listen to that during the day.

I'm glad somebody brought up that VW commercial. Could you imagine actually doing what they say - just going there to hang out. "We'll talk about cars when you're ready." I really would never buy anything from them, because it is so stupid.

There's one now for an orthodontist office that keeps saying the Wise Choice. But, I don't know if it's Weiss Ortho or what, because they say the name of the place so fast that I don't know what it is, but they Wise a million times!

Then, one law firm sounds like "Scam Law Firm" to me - at least they get credit for truth in advertising.

I'm not sure who that orthodontic commercial is for, but it sounds like they grabbed three people from a Catholic Church Choir and asked them to sing "The Wise Choice" over and over.

And to the OP's point, I tuned in to hear about OTA's today and they were talking about hockey. I waited twenty minutes and nothing about the football team. I realize we live close to canada, but I can't understand why they ignore basketball. I'd like to see a comparison of the TV ratings for playoff hockey vs. playoff basketball in the area. Does WNY really care that much more about hockey than hoops?

I also hate the Roofing and VW commercials so much I can't stand it. And it's like they are the only ones on.

Sometimes I feel like taking a trip to the VW dealership just to hang out, drink their free coffee, test drive like every car on the lot in every different color and be like... Thanks for hanging today guys, have a good one.

I love it. That's exactly what I think when I hear that commercial. Don't lie to me. The last thing you want me to do is come in and waste your time. You're in business to sell cars, not give out free coffee and shake hands and if I'm looking to buy to a car, I want to get a good deal, not make friends with my salesperson.

Edited by Thisistheyear

While Schopp and company were forced to talk about the Bills more since WGR bought rights to their games (and Schopp had to tone down his trolling act), it's always going to be the Sabres' network with the people in charge there. I like when Murph does his visit before his show on S+B, you can feel the tension.

Just be happy Murphy's show exists as long as it does.

And, then say "See you tomorrow!"

Wait - is the William C Rott & Son commercial sung to the same tune as the Wise Choice blah blah blah Orthodontics? They've merged in my head!

That ortho group better be called Wise or Weiss or they are really not getting their message out.

1270 The Fan? I didn't realize there was another option. Rich Gaenzler has his own show? Thats sounds like a better option than Chap and Poodle.

Yeah, he's on from noon-3PM. The rest is NBC Sports Radio (I think)...........You can go to their site and listen to his podcasts, as well. Looks like he talked to Marcel today:

http://www.sportsradio1270.com/common/more.php?m=102&is_corp=0&r=11&title=richgaenzlershow

Lots of good stuff in the archive there, too. I'm a fan of Brad Riter and he guest hosted on 5/8 and had good segments with Scott Wilson and Bob Gaughan, mainly about the Bills and the draft (they're as excited as I am) and he also had a good conversation with Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly...............His segments with Tim Graham are usually good but this one they mainly talked about Tim's kid's baseball skills and video games...........I guess nobody hits it out of the park every time.

Yeah, he's on from noon-3PM. The rest is NBC Sports Radio (I think)

http://www.sportsrad...ichgaenzlershow

Lots of good stuff in the archive there, too. I'm a fan of Brad Riter and he guest hosted on 5/8 and had good segments with Scott Wilson and Bob Gaughan, mainly about the Bills and the draft (they're as excited as I am) and he also had a good conversation with Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly...............His segments with Tim Graham are usually good but this one they mainly talked about Tim's kid's baseball skills and video games...........I guess nobody hits it out of the park every time.

It's actually CBS Sports Radio other than the 12 PM-3 PM M-F slot. The link to listen on the web is: http://player.streamtheworld.com/_players/citadel/?sid=20060

I'm not sure who that orthodontic commercial is for, but it sounds like they grabbed three people from a Catholic Church Choir and asked them to sing "The Wise Choice" over and over.

And to the OP's point, I tuned in to hear about OTA's today and they were talking about hockey. I waited twenty minutes and nothing about the football team. I realize we live close to canada, but I can't understand why they ignore basketball. I'd like to see a comparison of the TV ratings for playoff hockey vs. playoff basketball in the area. Does WNY really care that much more about hockey than hoops?

I love it. That's exactly what I think when I hear that commercial. Don't lie to me. The last thing you want me to do is come in and waste your time. You're in business to sell cars, not give out free coffee and shake hands and if I'm looking to buy to a car, I want to get a good deal, not make friends with my salesperson.

Ratings for hockey here destroy basketball. Buffalo is usually the #3 rated market during the Stanley Cup behind only the two cities that are playing. Basketball ratings are barely a blip on the radar.

I don't why people get surprised by it. It's minor league radio, which is sad in a 2 pro sports town with a bunch of D1 colleges. The prime time host says he doesn't really like football and tennis is his favorite sport. Seriously, Buffalo is the only non-Canadian city that would talk about hockey when their team didn't make the playoffs (Leafs-Bruins game 7 was amazing though).

But it's not just the Bills. They never talk about any other sport. No baseball or basketball. In some ways, it reflects a big part of Buffalo. It doesn't envolve. I have plenty of friends who love baseball and basketball. Jerry Sullivan, as miserable as he is, is a really good basketball writer. But it's a one horse show here. That's what podcasts are for.

Btw, it's amazing in less than a year, how the John Murphy show has become the best show on their station. He is a great host and gets great guest. It's amazing how people want to talk to you when you're not a d bag like the afternoon guys.

I don't why people get surprised by it. It's minor league radio, which is sad in a 2 pro sports town with a bunch of D1 colleges. The prime time host says he doesn't really like football and tennis is his favorite sport. Seriously, Buffalo is the only non-Canadian city that would talk about hockey when their team didn't make the playoffs (Leafs-Bruins game 7 was amazing though).

But it's not just the Bills. They never talk about any other sport. No baseball or basketball. In some ways, it reflects a big part of Buffalo. It doesn't envolve. I have plenty of friends who love baseball and basketball. Jerry Sullivan, as miserable as he is, is a really good basketball writer. But it's a one horse show here. That's what podcasts are for.

Btw, it's amazing in less than a year, how the John Murphy show has become the best show on their station. He is a great host and gets great guest. It's amazing how people want to talk to you when you're not a d bag like the afternoon guys.

Agreed...though I think the reason Murhphys' show is so great is less because of him, and more because of all the guests he has, and the fact that he is talking football. As one who also enjoys hockey talk, I think the problem with Sylvesters' show is not enough guests, and it is just he and Peters talking about the same (crummy) team every day... personally, I am sure Murphy is a nice guy, but he isn't particularly exciting...but the producers are wise to have a nice slate of guests every night. That makes for good radio...

Agreed...though I think the reason Murhphys' show is so great is less because of him, and more because of all the guests he has, and the fact that he is talking football. As one who also enjoys hockey talk, I think the problem with Sylvesters' show is not enough guests, and it is just he and Peters talking about the same (crummy) team every day... personally, I am sure Murphy is a nice guy, but he isn't particularly exciting...but the producers are wise to have a nice slate of guests every night. That makes for good radio...

Murph has great guests, but I'm more impressed with his ability to toe the company line while still sounding objective. It's funny that the two best broadcasters on the station, Sylvester and Murph aren't even employed by the station. And unfortunately for Sylvester, he has to talk about hockey all the time. With the NFL there's intrigue year round. The NHL...not even close. Don't get me wrong, I love the Sabres. I have season tickets and have played hockey since I was 3, but the thought of hockey talk in July is absurd.