No Bills talk on WGR

I realize many hate GR, and there are legit gripes...but to say they don't talk abou the Bills is absurd. It was pretty much all they talked about yesterday, they are talking about them now... I realize, also, many here only follow the Bills, and not the Sabres..this is a Bills board, afterall. But don't lose sight of the fact that the station does also carry Sabres games, and their coverage is geared toward Buffalo area sports fans...not only Buffalo Bills fans. It seems like there is a lot of bitching about nothing sometimes.

If this was Facebook, I would "like" this post! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the compliment.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is a completely illegitimate complaint. There has plenty of Bills coverage on WGR from 6-10 and from 3-7 beyond the John Murphy show that is exclusively dedicated to the Bills.

Lots of Bills articles from the various personalities on the station:http://www.wgr550.com/Football/8768472

Joe Buscaglia was all over the draft and has provided extensive coverage of rookie camp and OTAs. They even have Paul Hamilton covering the Bills now.There's also lots of Bills related podcasts that can be listened to on demand.

Just this morning Eric Wood was on, Joe B is on now as I type, and Buddy is coming on later this morning.

I'm calling BS on this one.

...but but but, they weren't talking about the Bills when the OP was listening, therefore, they must NEVER talk about the Bills. :doh:

I drove from Phoenix to Los Angeles yesterday, and listened to GR the entire way, which was about six hours, from noon to 6 pm PST or 3-9 EST. They talked nothing but the Bills the entire 6 hours, with maybe ten minutes devoted to the two game sevens. It was about 98% Bills.

...but but but, they weren't talking about the Bills when the OP was listening, therefore, they must NEVER talk about the Bills. :doh:

:lol: Public Service Announcement: Sabres Hockey Hotline will be on from 10 AM - 12 PM today. Please do not be afraid, become worried, express concern, or turn into an emotional mess as there will be more Bills talk later today. 0:)

I think this is a completely illegitimate complaint. There has been plenty of Bills coverage on WGR from 6-10 and from 3-7 beyond the John Murphy show that is exclusively dedicated to the Bills.

Lots of Bills articles from the various personalities on the station:http://www.wgr550.com/Football/8768472

Joe Buscaglia was all over the draft and has provided extensive coverage of rookie camp and OTAs. They even have Paul Hamilton covering the Bills now.There's also lots of Bills related podcasts that can be listened to on demand.

Just this morning Eric Wood was on, Joe B is on now as I type, and Buddy is coming on later this morning.

im going to go ahead and back your comments up. The Bills have their own 2 hours with Murph every night. Scrote and the Lapdog have been actually doing a bit of Bills talk lately.

Lets be real for a minute. I know there's stuff going on at OBD daily, but its also the hockey playoffs, basketball playoffs, and baseball season right now. Football is still just in the offseason.

Me personally, I could listen to football radio all day because I could care less about any other sport, but I realize I'm not getting that with WGR. They are a SPORTS radio station, not a Bills radio station.

I thought WGR was the home of the Bills. I live out of town and tried to listen this morning via the Internet so that I could catch up on the Nix/Whaley situation, and all they want to talk about is hockey! Boy Howard Simon has really fallen since the days of Fan tv. Is there another station that covers the Bills?

You've got to be kidding me! They talked about this non stop yesterday from 3-9 and then talked about it this morning 80% of the time while mixing in the EPIC collapse of the Leafs last night, which is more current news than a noon announcement the day before about Nix (one which we all know was coming).

Sorry the 10 minutes you decided to listed didn't contain the conversation you wanted to hear.

Ok ... I have been one of the biggest bashers of WGR especially Schlep and Bull in the afternoons but as an out of state Bills' fan and season ticket holder desperate for Bills' news I have to admit that it seems that someone at GR is finally getting it. It started with Murph coming to the station but Buscaglia is a major player there too providing insight into the Bills. Does this mean S & B have suddenly discovered professional football? Of course not. Just give a listen and you'll soon realize that these are the two least informed sports talk hosts in America; all too often one of them pleads a lack of knowledge about a key player or game when the rest of America knows the full story because we either watched the game, paid attention to ESPN, read a sports information source online or even went to the newspaper's sport section to read the events of the day before. And, yes ... I was listening when S & B went into a lengthy Tiger Woods discussion when clearly most true sports' fans really are not into the PGA. I have no complaints about covering the Stanley Cup playoffs because it does relate to the Sabres not being there. But, on Monday after sounding so foolish in their interview with Nix it would have been great to hear about the first day of OTA's. So, I am giving WGR some breathing space .. they still rank amongst the worst sports talk stations I have ever had to listen to but they are better than a year ago.

hes a Saint!!!

I actually can't stand Brandon and have mocked him many times on this forum but I really can't believe the whining about him "being dishonest" based mostly on his comment a few weeks ago (paraphrasing) "Buddy Nix will be the Bills GM for a very long time."

Apparently we can call native Americans "redskins" but don't you dare mislead us because we're "entitled" to the truth at all times.

:doh:

I actually can't stand Brandon and have mocked him many times on this forum but I really can't believe the whining about him "being dishonest" based mostly on his comment a few weeks ago (paraphrasing) "Buddy Nix will be the Bills GM for a very long time."

Apparently we can call native Americans "redskins" but don't you dare mislead us because we're "entitled" to the truth at all times.

:doh:

i guess some people just think that the majority of humanity is honest. I don't live under a rock. I know that the majority of people I come in contact with on a daily basis are absolutely full of crap. Edited by mrags

Ok ... I have been one of the biggest bashers of WGR especially Schlep and Bull in the afternoons but as an out of state Bills' fan and season ticket holder desperate for Bills' news I have to admit that it seems that someone at GR is finally getting it. It started with Murph coming to the station but Buscaglia is a major player there too providing insight into the Bills. Does this mean S & B have suddenly discovered professional football? Of course not. Just give a listen and you'll soon realize that these are the two least informed sports talk hosts in America; all too often one of them pleads a lack of knowledge about a key player or game when the rest of America knows the full story because we either watched the game, paid attention to ESPN, read a sports information source online or even went to the newspaper's sport section to read the events of the day before. And, yes ... I was listening when S & B went into a lengthy Tiger Woods discussion when clearly most true sports' fans really are not into the PGA. I have no complaints about covering the Stanley Cup playoffs because it does relate to the Sabres not being there. But, on Monday after sounding so foolish in their interview with Nix it would have been great to hear about the first day of OTA's. So, I am giving WGR some breathing space .. they still rank amongst the worst sports talk stations I have ever had to listen to but they are better than a year ago.

Really? That tournament did huge ratings and the Woods/Sergio story was big news. All over the national talk shows. I think most true sports fans are into the PGA, especially when Tiger is involved. And I agree with 26cornerblitz and the like, GR has been all over the Bills.

The only thing worse than the incessant hockey talk on WGR are the awful commercials. Every commercial has a horrible jingle and/or the writing is pathetic. I know these aren't nationally produced, but c'mon get someone who can write a commercial or at least switch it up once in a while. Half the jingles sound like funeral dirges. I was just in the market for a new car and avoided buying a Passat because I hate the Volkswagen of Orchard Park commercial so much. Buying a car is nothing like taking a trip to the grand canyon. There's a roofing commercial that sounds like a fifth grader wrote it. William Rott. And get some new advertisers, these commercials are on so much that I find myself changing the station the second they take a break.

I used to think there was no such thing as bad publicity. Apparently, having an annoying commercial on WGR is the exception to the rule.

The only thing worse than the incessant hockey talk on WGR are the awful commercials. Every commercial has a horrible jingle and/or the writing is pathetic. I know these aren't nationally produced, but c'mon get someone who can write a commercial or at least switch it up once in a while. Half the jingles sound like funeral dirges. I was just in the market for a new car and avoided buying a Passat because I hate the Volkswagen of Orchard Park commercial so much. Buying a car is nothing like taking a trip to the grand canyon. There's a roofing commercial that sounds like a fifth grader wrote it. William Rott. And get some new advertisers, these commercials are on so much that I find myself changing the station the second they take a break.

I used to think there was no such thing as bad publicity. Apparently, having an annoying commercial on WGR is the exception to the rule.

this times 1,000,000,000,000,000...

I also hate the Roofing and VW commercials so much I can't stand it. And it's like they are the only ones on.

Sometimes I feel like taking a trip to the VW dealership just to hang out, drink their free coffee, test drive like every car on the lot in every different color and be like... Thanks for hanging today guys, have a good one.

Edited by mrags

I thought WGR was the home of the Bills. I live out of town and tried to listen this morning via the Internet so that I could catch up on the Nix/Whaley situation, and all they want to talk about is hockey! Boy Howard Simon has really fallen since the days of Fan tv. Is there another station that covers the Bills?

If nothing happens what are they gonna talk about? Nix got dumped yesterday and they talked too long about the worthless GM that he was. This might be the slowest time in the NFL after the draft, Free Agency for the most part is done. What do you want them to talk about? The groundskeepers? I think you need to complain about something else that is justified?

Really? That tournament did huge ratings and the Woods/Sergio story was big news. All over the national talk shows. I think most true sports fans are into the PGA, especially when Tiger is involved.

Disagree.

Not so much on Sunday but on Saturday all of that Woods-Garcia focus was directed towards the casual fan, not the serious fan.

He has?

Yes. Both times I've heard things get contentious with the media. Whaley has stood his ground, and hasn't allowed a dumb assertion, buried in a question, to go unchallenged

I think this is a completely illegitimate complaint. There has been plenty of Bills coverage on WGR from 6-10 and from 3-7 beyond the John Murphy show that is exclusively dedicated to the Bills.

You called BS @ 8:15am

The OP (and me too) listened to the first 40 minutes of the show with no football, and posted about that at 6:40.

I posted at 6:45, because seemingly out of nowhere, as soon as his post came up, it was all football, all the time. Could be a coincidence, of course, but, it seems like recently, whatever is on the front page/shout box is driving whatever they are talking about.

And, I don't thing it's unrealistic to expect something about the Bills in the first .5 hour. Not everybody is me, who has the radio on all day.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Its been a few years since I left the area, but everytime I heard the "Herons Landing" commercial "i wanted to jerk the wheel into a GD bridge abutment"....

Its been a few years since I left the area, but everytime I heard the "Herons Landing" commercial "i wanted to jerk the wheel into a GD bridge abutment"....

Bwaaaak!

:lol: I wanted to punch the lady that leads the chorus on that song. Got to a point where I would turn off WGR during commercials. Then I would start forgetting to turn it back on, then, I just stopped listening.