Offseason Analysis

Here is the link I will be referring to in this post.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013/5/4/4299554/2013-buffalo-bills-off-season-33-new-players-added

Of the 33 additions and 19 or whatever so far subtractions I think we are coming out about even. Correct me if I'm wrong but we lost a pro-bowl guard in Levitre and also lost Nick Barnett who was our leading tackler. So I think, in conclusion we only lost two immediate impact players.

Then I think of the 33 players we have new on our roster we break even and again have only picked up 2 immediate impact players. Kiko Alonso and Robert Woods. The jury will be out on EJ in the next couple years and Goodwin doesn't have enough football experience to make a IMMEDIATE impact. Da'Rick will have to prove he can stay out of trouble.

I think Dustin Hopkins will beat out Lindell but I don't necessary call kickers game changers. Don't hate the pick just don't' think he's going to change a game.

Thoughts?

http://www.buffaloru...w-players-added

Of the 33 additions and 19 or whatever so far subtractions I think we are coming out about even. Correct me if I'm wrong but we lost a pro-bowl guard in Levitre and also lost Nick Barnett who was our leading tackler. So I think, in conclusion we only lost two immediate impact players.

Then I think of the 33 players we have new on our roster we break even and again have only picked up 2 immediate impact players. Kiko Alonso and Robert Woods. The jury will be out on EJ in the next couple years and Goodwin doesn't have enough football experience to make a IMMEDIATE impact. Da'Rick will have to prove he can stay out of trouble.

I think Dustin Hopkins will beat out Lindell but I don't necessary call kickers game changers. Don't hate the pick just don't' think he's going to change a game.

Thoughts?

So far offbase, I don't even know where to begin. If you look at the losses and compare them to the additions, it is strikingly clear that this team got faster and more athletic this offseason. Barnett wasn't lost, he was cut. And kickers are not game changers? They make a huge difference in field position, which impacts every single game. And they can win or lose a game with a single kick. The players added fit the new schemes, both offensively and defensively. And for the record, in four seasons, Levitre never made the Pro Bowl. Guards are a dime a dozen and he wasn't worth the money. How this new athleticism and speed translate to wins and losses remains to be seen, but this team definitely is more talented than the one that ended the season.

The present Bills roster doesn't have McGee (#8 in career tackles with 440), Kelsay (#15, 293), Scott (#20, 237), Wilson (#21, 234), Jairus "flew the coop" Byrd (#29, 219), as well as Barnett (#41, 150) and Sheppard (#58, 95). http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/career-defense.htm. Almost 1500 tackles that will have to be made up.

I disagree. I believe we have added more than 2 immediate impact players. I think Manny Lawson will have an immediate impact. Either Kolb or Manuel will have an immediate impact (hopefully a positive one) Dustin Hopkins will have an immediate impact if he gives us the confidence to put points on the board in situations we had to pass up on last season. There are more that I believe will contribute as well like Goodwin on kickoff returns and on running plays.

http://www.buffaloru...w-players-added

Thoughts?

Since you referred to the TSW link, why not just post your thoughts in that thread instead of creating a new thread? :doh:

Since you referred to the TSW link, why not just post your thoughts in that thread instead of creating a new thread? :doh:

He didn't want his thoughts to get lost as another post with the other thread. ;)

The lost vs. gained arguement wll not be able to be fully examined until we get into the regular season, but I believe that overall we have done well for ourselves. We got rid of a noddle-armed, INT machine who collapsed in key moments then replaced him with a capable veteran and a rookie QB that is seen as the QB of the future whom together will cost less than Fitz. Both, too, have a stronger arm than Fitz. I see this as a gain for us. We lost two solid OG's in Levitre and Rinehart, but replaced them with nothing. We do have 3 or 4 guys capable of filling the position though in Brown, Hairston, Young, and Sanders. What we will get from them on the field in a starting role I cannot say with confidence. Right now I would call this a loss. We let Donald Jones and David Nelson walk along with a couple other meaningless WR's. We gained Robert Woods, Marquise Goodwin, Da'Rick Rogers, and Brandon Kaufman. We got faster, younger, more atheletic, and no one is coming off of any major surgeries. DEFINITE gain for us. We let Corey Mac go. Really liked the guy, but we added Frank Summers. This will probably be an even swap if nothing more. We lost Kelsay and Moore, but added Blatnick and Hughes. I liked Blatnick A LOT coming out of college because I saw him man-handle Jonathan Martin like a little punk. Kelsay was solid if nothing less and Moore was nothing more than a rotational guy. Hughes has been a bust in Indy, but started to play better last year. As of right now I have to count this as a loss for us because we don't know if we will get solid play out of either guy we have now and Kelsay was at least that. We lost Sheppard and Barnett, but got Alonso for the ILB position along with Bradham being moved to the inside and Manny Lawson. Sheppard was a liability last season in coverage and seemed out of position on running plays about half the time. You also knew he wasn't going to chase down plays away from him because, face it, the guy was slow. We have infused some youth and speed to the position with Alonso and Bradham. I believe the two are more than capable of manning the ILB positions and better than Shep ever could. Barnett was not a scheme fit this year and was played out of position last year. He is a MLB in a 4-3 defense. Hopefully he gets on somewhere and gets an opportunity to play because I always liked him too. We picked up Lawson (Hughes and Blatnick could be mentioned here as well because they are likely rotational OLB's in our base 3-4/46) which was a very good signing IMO. He can get pressure on the QB and is servicable enough in coverage. Gain for us. Spencer Johnson gone, Alan Branch in. Hmmmm, GAIN!!! McGee gone, but he's been gone for the last 3 years and only showed up on IR. Cap room? Gain. Now to George Wilson. His stone hands cost us two games last year for the most part. The Tennessee game and the NE game (unless you want to blame that whole debacle on Fitz, who gives). Before the Fitz INT late, Wilson dropped an INT that would've kept the Pats* from scoring. He was starting to get phased out by Searcy to begin with, but then we added Duke Williams and Jonathan Meeks after his departure. If Williams is everything the draftniks have been saying he is then we made a definite gain and just may have prepared ourselves in case we have to trade Byrd. I still like Searcy and believe that Williams was drafted as Byrd's possible replacement with Meeks being the foreseen backup SS/ST. Dustin Hopkins? Gain. We needed a kicker you could bring out on the field for an attempt longer than 45 yards, as well as a guy who can put the ball into the endzone once it is teed up. Later Lindell. Your leg was the equivalent of Fitzpatrick's arm. All in all I see our team as not just a little, but much better off after the offseason moves. Throw in Dansby, another TE, and maybe an OL'man? We're talking the best offseason for the Bills since the year we got Takeo.

Edited by H2o

The present Bills roster doesn't have McGee (#8 in career tackles with 440), Kelsay (#15, 293), Scott (#20, 237), Wilson (#21, 234), Jairus "flew the coop" Byrd (#29, 219), as well as Barnett (#41, 150) and Sheppard (#58, 95). http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/career-defense.htm. Almost 1500 tackles that will have to be made up.

these players produced a few of the worse defenses in bills history. Edited by jcbillsfan

I was lost once I read that Barnett was a loss. I liked the guy and thought that he was a good player in his day but he was AWFUL last year.

Also, I chuckle when people refer to the "kicking competition". Hopkins was not brought in to battle; he was brought into replace. Young kickers had a GREAT deal of success last year and the Bills followed suit by getting one of the best. The days of punting from the 32 yard line are over.

So far offbase, I don't even know where to begin. If you look at the losses and compare them to the additions, it is strikingly clear that this team got faster and more athletic this offseason. Barnett wasn't lost, he was cut. And kickers are not game changers? They make a huge difference in field position, which impacts every single game. And they can win or lose a game with a single kick. The players added fit the new schemes, both offensively and defensively. And for the record, in four seasons, Levitre never made the Pro Bowl. Guards are a dime a dozen and he wasn't worth the money. How this new athleticism and speed translate to wins and losses remains to be seen, but this team definitely is more talented than the one that ended the season.

Here is a thing about new schemes. This team has never played either the offensive nor defensive scheme. As a team, the players won't be fully comfortable in either scheme until the season is almost over. Given that, and the number of rookies to start -- at least 3 -- a head coach that has never been the head coach in an NFL game, an offensive coordinator that is still in diapers, and several positions that we are looking to the waiver wire to fill either as a starter or top back up -- Guard, TE, LB & CB -- this team will be lucky to hit 6 wins in 2013.

Don't forget the most POSITIVE additions, our coaches and front office. They have a plan. They will have a game plan. As Doug Whaley said, they will dictate what they are doing. This is a complete 180 to the "execute the same plan, make no adjustments, react don't dictate" mess that Gaily and Wandscrap were doing. That alone is worth 2-3 wins.

Here is a thing about new schemes. This team has never played either the offensive nor defensive scheme. As a team, the players won't be fully comfortable in either scheme until the season is almost over. Given that, and the number of rookies to start -- at least 3 -- a head coach that has never been the head coach in an NFL game, an offensive coordinator that is still in diapers, and several positions that we are looking to the waiver wire to fill either as a starter or top back up -- Guard, TE, LB & CB -- this team will be lucky to hit 6 wins in 2013.

We won 6 games with that ****ty roster. Agreed it takes time to gel as a unit, but this is not your grandfather's NFL. Today's NFL allows rookies to become stars. We definitely have the capability to win more than 6 games as long as they don't play roulette at the QB position. Pick one and stay with it through the course.

I see a lot of people on here are really hitting the Kool-aide pretty heavy. I do agree that of the bunch of flawed QBs in this year’s draft, we got one of the better ones in EJ. But even if he turns out to actually be the best, I don’t seeing him ready to contribute any better than Kolb could this year. He is a project this year and if our O line, weakened by the loss of Lev with no legitimate replacement, does not protect him, he too could turn into another Captain Checkdown if he is thrown in too soon and not mentored and coached to try to correct his flaws first.

There has been no real upgrade on the Dline from last year.

We still have no credible additions at CB.

We have a couple of late round draft picks at S to replace Wilson. We all know how poor the odds are that a late round pick steps in their rookie year and becomes a quality starter.

We have one possible pick and LB and one solid, if not spectacular veteran addition at LB. We still have great need at LB.

We have an unremarkable TE who is injured and probably won’t start for half a season.

We have an unproven coaching staff with no NFL experience at their positions. We have no full time QB coach to groom our rough rookie QB.

We have a rookie draftee to challenge our kicker, time will tell if he can deliver or not.

The Oline is definitely weaker. The right side of our Oline is even weaker than it was last year. Losing Lev and not getting a credible replacement makes the left side weaker.

I see Woods as one the best shots as an upgrade at WR. Da’ Rick could be an upgrade if he has the desire and attitude to actually work in the NFL, but that huge question is why he was undrafted. Goodwin reminds me of TJ. A speedster with an unsure translation of that raw speed into being a good NFL receiver.

I see Kolb as a slight upgrade at QB. Woods as a good bet at an upgrade at WR. The other rookies I reserve judgment until they prove themselves on the field.

On paper I see Miami as a huge upgrade all around over last year. The Jets are even a worse mess than we were last year. NE a little weaker, but they still have the man at QB to pull them through their weaknesses.

For this season I see us overall weaker, till I see all the question marks in the rookies and the coaching staff actually prove themselves on the field.