Look into Rams' war woom

Just a quick look at how the trade with the Rams was set up from PK and ESPN...

http://espn.go.com/b...rams-draft-room

Interesting to see the Ram's upped the offer to make it happen. I wonder what the Bill's would have done had the Rams chosen not to do so?

Thanks for the link. I assume that the trade was always the swap of the 8th for the 16th and the Rams #2 (48?). The upping the offer had to be the extra 7th round pick.

I have no way of knowing this, but I'd imagine that the Bills were just playing chicken/hardball but when it all came down to blinking they would have settled for the deal without the extra 7th. Perhaps the deal was the Bills would get the 7th if they agreed to swap the 3rds. It's hard to imagine the Bills were considering anything other than the 8 for the 16 + 48 or whatever the 2nd round number was.

Thanks for the link. I assume that the trade was always the swap of the 8th for the 16th and the Rams #2 (48?). The upping the offer had to be the extra 7th round pick.

I have no way of knowing this, but I'd imagine that the Bills were just playing chicken/hardball but when it all came down to blinking they would have settled for the deal without the extra 7th. Perhaps the deal was the Bills would get the 7th if they agreed to swap the 3rds. It's hard to imagine the Bills were considering anything other than the 8 for the 16 + 48 or whatever the 2nd round number was.

Maybe the bump was from 20-whatever to 16?

I can't imagine the 7th had any effect beyond "hey lets call to get this done" and the act of picking up the phone again was bigger than the pick

Edited by NoSaint

The true moral of this story, gents... you must go after the guys you are really jacked about. If one is really jacked about a 5th rd. running back, no price is too high.

"I think [stacy] was one of probably the last guys on our board that we were really, really jacked about," Snead would explain to reporters after the draft. "The rest was just going to be people we liked, but not jacked about, so at that point in time we said, 'Hey, let's go get him.' "

The true moral of this story, gents... you must go after the guys you are really jacked about. If one is really jacked about a 5th rd. running back, no price is too high.

"I think [stacy] was one of probably the last guys on our board that we were really, really jacked about," Snead would explain to reporters after the draft. "The rest was just going to be people we liked, but not jacked about, so at that point in time we said, 'Hey, let's go get him.' "

Ultimately, these kids are the GMs livelihood. Find ones you'd stake your career on and go get them isn't terrible for strategy.

Maybe the bump was from 20-whatever to 16?

I can't imagine the 7th had any effect beyond "hey lets call to get this done" and the act of picking up the phone again was bigger than the pick

Possible. But considering that according to the draft chart it came out completely even, and Nix said last week they actually do consult the draft chart, it's hard to imagine they were considering the 20 something pick for the 8. Maybe though. Or maybe the Rams were always willing to give up the 16 if push came to shove, they just wanted to see if the Bills would blink first but we didn't.

Just a quick look at how the trade with the Rams was set up from PK and ESPN...

http://espn.go.com/b...rams-draft-room

Interesting to see the Ram's upped the offer to make it happen. I wonder what the Bill's would have done had the Rams chosen not to do so?

Who's the Ram? And who's the Bill? I'm very confused.

Here's an excerpt from the article : (Note mods if this is too much in quotes please remove)

5:47 p.m. CT, St. Louis Office of Rams COO Kevin Demoff

Days before the draft, G.M.'s Les Snead of the Rams and Buddy Nix of the Bills agreed on a tentative deal: Buffalo would send its first-round pick, No. 8, to St. Louis for No. 16 plus the Rams' second-rounder, No. 46, and the teams would swap third-rounders, moving the Rams up seven slots. Now Demoff's phone was chirping. It was Bills president Russ Brandon, and the news wasn't good: Buffalo had other suitors for the pick.

"Do we have to go get another partner?" Demoff asked. Could be, Brandon replied.

A dark cloud. On the big board in the windowless second-floor draft room at club headquarters were five targeted players. The two whom Snead and coach Jeff Fisher valued above all were West Virginia receiver-returner Tavon Austin and Georgia linebacker Alec Ogletree. Austin-a durable lightning bug and the most dangerous player on the board-was crucial. St. Louis ranked 31st in punt-return average in 2012, and QB Sam Bradford's 6.72 yards per attempt were 26th. Greatest Show on Turf? Not anymore. These Rams needed weapons.

AUSTIN: NO LIMITS

Austin had double-digit catches in eight of his senior-year games at West Virginia-welcome stats in St. Louis.

In an ideal world St. Louis would move up to No. 8 for Austin, then take the troubled but speedy Ogletree at No. 22-or maybe trade down, still get Ogletree and recoup the capital they lost in getting Austin. A day earlier Fisher and Snead gathered the coaches and scouts to explain the plan and hear out any naysayers. There were none.

Losing the deal with the Bills, the Rams felt certain, meant losing Austin. The Jets picked ninth and coveted him. St. Louis had been trying to get ahead of New York for six weeks, got to the finish line, and-poof! -it could be gone in minutes.

Or the price could change.

6:10 p.m.

"What would really seal the deal for Buddy is a seven," Bills cap guy Jim Overdorf told Demoff less than an hour before the draft. Demoff knew that if adding a seventh-rounder to the package was what it would take to finish the move, the 222nd pick wouldn't stand in the way. Snead and Fisher okayed it. The trade wasn't a lock yet-nothing is until both sides verbally inform the league of trade details. Now the Rams had to just sit and wait.

Edited by LynchMob23

It would've happened either way in that case. A 7 wasn't stopping this for either side.

Agreed. But this is actually a nice little sign that the Bills played it as well as they could. The Rams blinked first, the Bills got their wish, and picked up the TE Gragg in the bargain. Good work by what looks like Brandon and Overdorf, as well as Nix.

Agreed. But this is actually a nice little sign that the Bills played it as well as they could. The Rams blinked first, the Bills got their wish, and picked up the TE Gragg in the bargain. Good work by what looks like Brandon and Overdorf, as well as Nix.

Yup. Though i wouldn't give toooooo much credit. They got an extra nickel tossed into a hundred dollar pot. Did his job properly though.

Yup. Though i wouldn't give toooooo much credit. They got an extra nickel tossed into a hundred dollar pot. Did his job properly though.

It's not that much. A 7th round pick isn't really worth more than an UDFA (outside of you know you have him). That said, we really needed a TE prospect that we didn't pick up yet and Gragg could very well make this roster, Nix really wanted to recoup the 7th pick or another pick that we lost in the Tarvaris trade, and for all the crap that the team, front office and Nix get from fans and the media for being a mickey mouse operation it's nice to see.

I guess the marketing guy can wheel and deal as well as sell hope.

It's not that much. A 7th round pick isn't really worth more than an UDFA (outside of you know you have him). That said, we really needed a TE prospect that we didn't pick up yet and Gragg could very well make this roster, Nix really wanted to recoup the 7th pick or another pick that we lost in the Tarvaris trade, and for all the crap that the team, front office and Nix get from fans and the media for being a mickey mouse operation it's nice to see.

Tim Brando, who watches a lot of college ball, thinks Gragg was a steal in the 7th round. Check out Brando's comments at 6:40 of this video.

I would love to see the Bills operate in the same way as Walt Disney does...It would make it a far more profitable business.