Leaders on Defense

Sheppard is gone, so he is a no. Wilson, gone. Barnett, gone. Poz, is gone. Cornelius Bennet is gone...

Byrd is no, Dareus is no, Gilmore, no. Mario Williams, no.

Wow, no love for Mario. If he is the best player on that defense then he is the leader whether we (or he) like it or not. We do not know how he behaves in the locker room and we do not know how he is viewed by his teammates, but he better lead that defense even if he never opens his mouth to utter a single word.

Wow, no love for Mario. If he is the best player on that defense then he is the leader whether we (or he) like it or not. We do not know how he behaves in the locker room and we do not know how he is viewed by his teammates, but he better lead that defense even if he never opens his mouth to utter a single word.

That's my feelings on it as well.

He's being paid to be the best player on the field, and the best player on the field is your leader, like it or not.

If we're talking vocal leaders in the locker room, how would we know who's the most vocal in there?

Here we go again.

I think that I have been reliable and have given inside info that has all come true. You can choose to believe me or not I really don't care. I come here to have intelligent Bills conversation and I contribute information when I have it.

I am actually a little confused as to why you would have such a hard time believing that Byrd is a little bit of a diva?? He is one of our two best players and arguably my favorite player on this team. I wish that this wasn't the case. I didn't say that the guy did anything terribly wrong. I simply said that his chief concern is his career. That is not uncommon at all. Those just are not necessarily the ideal leaders.

Gilmore has the confidence. I think it's imperative that Mario Williams becomes THE leader on this defense. It would have been hard for him to come in last season, into a defensive scheme that was in year 2, with players already established. But, now he's just as new as everyone else to this defense. The difference, though, is that he's making the same as almost the rest of the defense combined - so, HE HAS to be a leader. And, I think he will be. It would keep a light lit under his butt, too. The best way to lead is by example.

Kyle Williams, Mario Williams, Gilmore, Kiko was a captain at Oregon - maybe Bradham or Lawson? Guys will emerge - I suspect it'll be in practices and training camp that it becomes obvious. Marrone and Pettine are too old-school to let everyone keep quiet on that front.

A man who publicly said he does not want to be a leader is someone I am not counting on to be a leader. When he was first signed he said he was not comfortable being that type of guy. He can be the best defender we have, and he is, but I do not think he is going to be the leader and that's just fine by me.

I think that I have been reliable and have given inside info that has all come true. You can choose to believe me or not I really don't care. I come here to have intelligent Bills conversation and I contribute information when I have it.

I am actually a little confused as to why you would have such a hard time believing that Byrd is a little bit of a diva?? He is one of our two best players and arguably my favorite player on this team. I wish that this wasn't the case. I didn't say that the guy did anything terribly wrong. I simply said that his chief concern is his career. That is not uncommon at all. Those just are not necessarily the ideal leaders.

By all indications, the guy has played through nagging injuries throughout his entire career and missed only two games to date. I fail to see how being concerned about his own health is acting "like a diva."

He's had his surgeries in the off-season, hence; I'm led to believe his or his father's concerns about his injuries are credible and merit consideration. And really, who cares if his dad wants him to get an MRI? He comes from a NFL family so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt they know how to handle these situations. I have no problem with a player taking care of their body as it ultimately pays the bills later in life.

I'm sorry if you feel sensitive that I'm a bit sensitive to us Bills fans insinuating one of our best players is whining about their injuries (i.e. Mario). I just don't see the evidence, but then again I don't have insider information as you do. Buffalo sports fans have an innate ability to crap on their team's best players for their perceived (mostly imagined) shortfalls. Here's to Byrd re-signing long term.

By all indications, the guy has played through nagging injuries throughout his entire career and missed only two games to date. I fail to see how being concerned about his own health is acting "like a diva."

He's had his surgeries in the off-season, hence; I'm led to believe his or his father's concerns about his injuries are credible and merit consideration. And really, who cares if his dad wants him to get an MRI? He comes from a NFL family so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt they know how to handle these situations. I have no problem with a player taking care of their body as it ultimately pays the bills later in life.

I'm sorry if you feel sensitive that I'm a bit sensitive to us Bills fans insinuating one of our best players is whining about their injuries (i.e. Mario). I just don't see the evidence, but then again I don't have insider information as you do. Buffalo sports fans have an innate ability to crap on their team's best players for their perceived (mostly imagined) shortfalls. Here's to Byrd re-signing long term.

I'm with you. I love Byrd. All that I was saying is that I don't think that he is the stereotypical leader. I feel the same way about Mario. They are both great players they are just wired differently.

IMO Kyle Williams, Dareus and Gilmore are the guys that I see assuming a leadership role as of now. A LB signing (ie Dansby or Bart Scott) would certainly fill that void.

On the offensive side of the ball I think that it is Freddie, Stevie and Eric Wood. I hope that EJ develops into the guy. From what I have seen he looks like he will.

I agree that signing Dansby would help in this area because he is a fiery and vocal leader. The only guy like that right now it seems is Kyle Williams, but that is fine. Mario and Gilmore are leaders but they are also quite guys and lead by example not in your face rah rah stuff. Byrd, too, and to some degree Dareus. Everyone once in awhile Dareus has been known to step up and get vocal but he is mostly a quiet guy as well. Bradham is intense but probably too young. If he starts to play well then he will likely be a leader.

This is a team that is likely going to take on the personality of its coach, and Pettine is going to be the leader.

I'm with you. I love Byrd. All that I was saying is that I don't think that he is the stereotypical leader. I feel the same way about Mario. They are both great players they are just wired differently.

IMO Kyle Williams, Dareus and Gilmore are the guys that I see assuming a leadership role as of now. A LB signing (ie Dansby or Bart Scott) would certainly fill that void.

On the offensive side of the ball I think that it is Freddie, Stevie and Eric Wood. I hope that EJ develops into the guy. From what I have seen he looks like he will.

Agree with pretty much everything. Byrd and Mario are different, I'll go with that but guys like that are essential to winning cause they have the most talent/ability.

I hope Dareus rebounds this season cause ideally, he's the guy to be the vocal and "lead by example" player on the defense. As for Gilmore, I sense he fits more into the former camp with Byrd.

On offense, there's more than enough IMO. All the guys you listed, plus I'd even add Spiller in there too. Guys feed off his energy it seems, because in a league of damn impressive athletes he evokes the "holy sh@t did you just see that" on a regular basis.

• 2 months later...

From what I have heard about Byrd he is a bit of a diva. He is more focused on his personal career and not jeopardizing it. I heard stories about how he would miss practices and such even when cleared by the doctors. His dad would plant seeds in his head that he needed MRIs when he wasn't even hurt. It was kinda like a Derrick Rose situation without missing the games.

I love the guy as a player but I am not sure at this point in his career he is the perfect leader.

Does anyone agree with me now? Demanding to be the highest paid safety in the game?!? The guy is good but not worth over $9m per year.

That's my feelings on it as well.

He's being paid to be the best player on the field, and the best player on the field is your leader, like it or not.

If we're talking vocal leaders in the locker room, how would we know who's the most vocal in there?

i'll take a stab and say arthur moats. that man can talk!