Would Toronto Sports Fans Support An NFL Team?

... article from Forbes ... http://www.forbes.co...rt-an-nfl-team/ ...

The answer is "no". Despite the push by various factions for an NFL team in the 5th most populouse NFL city, Toronto is a hockey town and has not shown much interest in the NFL games played there in the past 5 years. It's much like here in Atlanta where despite the large volume of people, can't or won't support a hockey team. 2 NHL teams have come and gone. Not likely there'll be another. Let the market decide what it wants an quit trying to force teams on places like L.A. and Toronto. A large population doesn't automatically translate into a good fan base. Conversely, Green Bay is one of the smallest cities in major league sports, and yet their season ticket waiting list is something like 40 years and they have some of the most rabid fans in all of sports, buying merchandise like crazy. NFL - quit wasting your time thinking about an NFL team in Toronto. Stupid idea.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/04/26/mlse-goes-as-big-as-possible-with-tim-leiweke/

The only grand vision Leiweke failed to accomplish with AEG was the push for an NFL team in Los Angeles — Leiweke was a driving force behind the Farmer’s Field initiative, a proposed US$1.8-billion stadium development that has gone quiet of late, and may never happen.

It could happen here, though, and the bet is that the NFL chase will to begin again, sooner or later, though the ownership picture may be more complex. Whether the main driver would be the Rogers family, who remain at least mildly interested in an NFL team, or Tanenbaum, who has been relegated to the sideline in the MLSE superstructure, that’s the biggest play MLSE can make. When Rogers brought Bills games to Toronto, Rogers was the money, and Tanenbaum helped drive the process. People have openly wondered why Rogers has continued the relationship with the Bills. Maybe now it makes a little more sense.

if it was 100% theirs....absolutely yes.

if it is shared in any way with buffalo....luke warm.

it's a mute point unless they buy the Bills, cause we own the rights to Toronto.

If the Bills were actually good they'd warm up pretty quick. And it's a "moot" point.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I think if Toronto had its own team it would do just fine. We see a lot of what we do now in Toronto because we are a borrowed team. Every other sport seems to do alright up there, even being a hockey town first. Would definitely make for an interesting rivalry

The answer is "no". Despite the push by various factions for an NFL team in the 5th most populouse NFL city, Toronto is a hockey town and has not shown much interest in the NFL games played there in the past 5 years. It's much like here in Atlanta where despite the large volume of people, can't or won't support a hockey team. 2 NHL teams have come and gone. Not likely there'll be another. Let the market decide what it wants an quit trying to force teams on places like L.A. and Toronto. A large population doesn't automatically translate into a good fan base. Conversely, Green Bay is one of the smallest cities in major league sports, and yet their season ticket waiting list is something like 40 years and they have some of the most rabid fans in all of sports, buying merchandise like crazy. NFL - quit wasting your time thinking about an NFL team in Toronto. Stupid idea.

+ 1000

Amen...

...it's a mute point...

Oh my!! I guess many can blame iPhones and what not for a word given...

Ah... Fond memories of my sister-in-law using the expression: "Nip it in the butt." Boy did we have to set her straight on the proper expression! LoL... What? She never watched The Andy Griffith Show? LoL

So they could be bad at all four Major sports,

the Raptors are bad

the Leafs are bad, I hope it soon changes for them

the Jays have been bad since, post s

and it would kill the CFL

I am not A massive CFL fan but do watch it because it is football, and it serves a great purpose of helping guy's get to the NFL

Like Wake, Moon Flutie Garcia

Edited by BillsfanAlberta

Most would not.

If Toronto got its own NFL team it would all but kill the Argo's.

Then you would have angry die hard CFL fans

Then you would have to get a new stadium as CFL and NFL run at the same time

Then you would have to raise taxes a bit to help ease the cost of a new stadium and that would piss Torontonians off

CBF

So they could be bad at all four Major sports,

the Raptors are bad

the Leafs are bad, I hope it soon changes for them

the Jays have been bad since, post s

and it would kill the CFL

I am not A massive CFL fan but do watch it because it is football, and it serves a great purpose of helping guy's get to the NFL

Like Wake, Moon Flutie Garcia

I don't know, at least the Leafs made the playoffs this year.