May Movies: Star Trek, Iron Man, After Earth, & Great Gatsby....

The month of May arrives and with it starts the big Summer Season of movies. For the next 4 months movie audiences will be looking for excitement, action, adventure and amazement. Big budgets, big titles, big name actors & directors and big effects will be prominent as always. There may even be a couple surprise hits from both the mainstream and independent circuits as well. Sequels will be aplenty, but there are also a few original titles that will draw big interest too. This month alone carries two of the biggest sequels of the year.

Four years ago, director J.J. Abrams was given the enormous task of rejuvenating one of the biggest science fiction franchises in the world. That franchise was "Star Trek" and not only did Abrams bring new life to the franchise, he also added new fans. Before Abrams moves on to another "Star" sci-fi series, he brings us his highly anticipated follow-up to the series with "Star Trek Into Darkness". After the crew of the Enterprise find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction. Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Karl Urban & Zoe Saldana all return, but the presence of Benedict Cumberbatch as John Harrison is causing the most buzz. Also starring Simon Pegg, John Cho, Anton Yelchin, Alice Eve, Peter Weller & Bruce Greenwood.

After last year's tremendous success of "The Avengers", Marvel, along with Disney, attempts to keep their blockbuster streak going with another addition of the first Avenger character that got the ball rolling, with "Iron Man 3". When Tony Stark's world is torn apart by a formidable terrorist called the Mandarin, he starts an odyssey of rebuilding and retribution. Director Shane Black steps in for Jon Favreau. Starring Robert Downey Jr., Gwyneth Paltrow, Don Cheadle, Guy Pearce, Rebecca Hall & Ben Kingsley.

Moving up from June to the final day of May is the Will Smith/Jaden Smith sci-fi adventure "After Earth", directed by M. Night Shyamalan. A crash landing leaves Kitai Raige and his father Cypher stranded on Earth, 1,000 years after events forced humanity's escape. With Cypher injured, Kitai must embark on a perilous journey to signal for help. Will Smith had to opt out of the lead role for "Django Unchained" in order to make this film. We'll see how wise a decision that was.

A big budgeted drama in the summer time is rare, but that's what Warner Bros. has their hands on, as they release the delayed re-make "The Great Gatsby". Leonardo DiCaprio stars as the titular character, and stylish director Baz Luhrmann is at the helm. A Midwestern war veteran finds himself drawn to the past and lifestyle of his millionaire neighbor. The ensemble cast includes Carey Mulligan, Joel Edgarton, Isla Fisher & Tobey Maguire. Moving from Christmas to Summer is a risk for a pricey drama such as this. We shall see how it pays off.

The Wolfpack returns again for "The Hangover Part III". This time, there's no wedding. No bachelor party. What could go wrong, right? But when the Wolfpack hits the road, all bets are off. Warner Bros. has kept a tight lid on the exact plot of this supposed final chapter of the series. Starring Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms, Ken Jeong, Jamie Chung, Heather Graham, Melissa McCarthy & John Goodman.

Universal Studios keeps it's fast cars franchise going with "Fast & Furious 6". Agent Hobbs enlists the aid of Dom and team to help bring a rival gang, led by Owen Shaw, to justice. In exchange for clear records, they must put an end to their schemes, no matter how personal the cost. Starring Dwayne Johnson, Vin Diesel, Paul Walker, Michelle Rodriguez, Jordana Brewster, Gina Carano, Tyrese Gibson & Jason Statham.

In the thriller "Now You See Me", FBI agents track a team of illusionists who pull off bank heists during their performances and reward their audiences with the money. The ensemble cast includes: Jesse Eisenberg, Mark Ruffalo, Woody Harrelson, Melanie Laurent, Isla Fisher, Dave Franco, Michael Caine & Morgan Freeman. Directed by Louis Leterrier.

20th Century Fox releases the animated adventure, "Epic". A teenager finds herself transported to a deep forest setting where a battle between the forces of good and the forces of evil is taking place. She bands together with a rag-tag group characters in order to save their world -- and ours. Starring the voices of Amanda Seyfried, Jason Sudeikis, Josh Hutcherson, Colin Farrell & Christoph Waltz.

Finally, in "Peeples", Sparks fly when Wade Walker crashes the Peeples annual reunion in the Hamptons to ask for their precious daughter Grace's hand in marriage. Starring Kerry Washington, Craig Robinson, David Alan Grier & S. Epatha Merkerson.

Calendar with Trailers

5/3

"Iron Man 3": http://marvel.com/ironman3

5/10

"The Great Gatsby": http://thegreatgatsby.warnerbros.com/

"Peeples": http://www.peeplesmovie.com/

5/17

"Star Trek Into Darkness": http://www.startrekmovie.com/

5/24

"Fast & Furious 6": http://www.thefastandthefurious.com/

"The Hangover Part III": http://www.hangoverpart3.com/

"Epic": http://www.epicthemovie.com/

5/31

"After Earth": http://www.afterearth.com/site/

"Now You See Me": http://nowyouseememovie.com/

That's all for now. Independent Films will be posted later. Until then.....Enjoy!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first 30 minutes of Iron Man three were bleh. I could not really get in to it. The way it starts with a flashback just throws me off. I fell asleep before the end, though. I am still excited for the whole thing.

Another great job mark! Much appreciated. Looking forward to Iron man 3 and After Earth, the trailers look great on both of them. Also looking forward to Star Trek, though I am not a "trekkie" lol!

The first 30 minutes of Iron Man three were bleh. I could not really get in to it. The way it starts with a flashback just throws me off. I fell asleep before the end, though. I am still excited for the whole thing.

How did you see it already? Did you like the first two Iron man movies? How do this one compare to the other two?

How did you see it already? Did you like the first two Iron man movies? How do this one compare to the other two?

The first times seeing both of them I loved them. The first was amazing, the second great, the Avengers was thrilling but not as good as the first Iron Man, slightly better then the second. This one so far... I cannot compare it, I've not seen it all tonight. I will probably watch it all tonight.

How did I see it already? Robert Downey Jr. is my brothers ucles grandpa's grandson.

The first times seeing both of them I loved them. The first was amazing, the second great, the Avengers was thrilling but not as good as the first Iron Man, slightly better then the second. This one so far... I cannot compare it, I've not seen it all tonight. I will probably watch it all tonight.

How did I see it already? Robert Downey Jr. is my brothers ucles grandpa's grandson.

Sweet! I am interested in your review when your done watching it.

lol! That's ok.

One good sign is that the Rotten Tomatoes score for "Iron Man 3" is currently at 87% fresh.

How am I going to find time to see everything on my list this month? Star Trek, Ironman, Hangover, it's already a busy month before all of this. I have high expectations for the first two. Hangover 3 is one of those ones that I'm expecting bad things, but I will have to take the soon to be wife to anyway.

How am I going to find time to see everything on my list this month? Star Trek, Ironman, Hangover, it's already a busy month before all of this. I have high expectations for the first two. Hangover 3 is one of those ones that I'm expecting bad things, but I will have to take the soon to be wife to anyway.

Why? Trying to get out of the engagement?

Why? Trying to get out of the engagement?

See, that's the other thing. There's no way she'll want to see either of the first two movies. She'll go to the Hangover, but that's it.

See, that's the other thing. There's no way she'll want to see either of the first two movies. She'll go to the Hangover, but that's it.

She'll watch the 3rd Hangover movie, but not the 3rd Iron Man or 2nd Abrams Star Trek?

You sure this woman is "the one"?

She'll watch the 3rd Hangover movie, but not the 3rd Iron Man or 2nd Abrams Star Trek?

You sure this woman is "the one"?

Comedy is an easier sale than sci-fi is.

Going to the 9PM showing of Iron Man 3 tonight :thumbsup:

Have fun. I'll probably go Friday night.

Comedy is an easier sale than sci-fi is.

Yeah, but it 's good sci-fi. Get her to be more open-minded.

Yeah, but it 's good sci-fi. Get her to be more open-minded.

I've been trying to show her the first two Ironman movies (and maybe Avengers too) but haven't had the time yet. Star Trek may be easier since there is only one movie to watch. She's actually pretty good when it comes to my choice of movies. I even managed to drag her to a midnight showing of Dark Knight Rises last year.

I've been trying to show her the first two Ironman movies (and maybe Avengers too) but haven't had the time yet. Star Trek may be easier since there is only one movie to watch. She's actually pretty good when it comes to my choice of movies. I even managed to drag her to a midnight showing of Dark Knight Rises last year.

Just wait until you're actually married. It'll be a lot easier to drag her to movies after she takes that "obey" vow...

Star Trek is easier because you do not have to be a fan of Star Trek in order to enjoy Abrams' movie.

So when she saw Dark Knight Rises, did she come to the conclusion that comic book movies can actually be good in more than just the special effects department, or did she fall asleep?

Edited by Mark Vader