Is Bills' new offense a TRACK TEAM??

I'm hoping that the Bills don't stop with making the improvements. They are getting so close to filling all of their needs. I still feel like they need an ILB on defense to fill Sheppard's spot (i.e. a veteran ILB like Dansby would sure do the trick), a vet CB, a vet OG (i.e. B. Moore) and possibly a vet TE to either pair with Chandler or fill in for him if he can't go at the start of the season. See what one NFL insider thinks of the new weapons on offense. The link: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000165565/article/draft-fallout-buffalo-bills.

this is where i am hoping that nathaniel hackett's offense takes full advantage of having these weapons. and of course that these fast athletes are indeed football players that acclimate themselves to said system. i am so excited for preseason that it is embarrassing.

These players are the type of players that Marrone obviously wanted. He obviously believes in speed, speed, speed. Bills fans have never seen a Bills QB with this type of athleticism and speed to go along with the likes of Spiller and the new receivers. It should be very fun to watch. I'm just as anxious to see if Marrone/Hackett know how to take full advantage of what they have. I'm expecting a New Orleans type offense that is wide open and that utilizes a fast tempo. I also expect Manuel to utilize the "read-option" at times to take advantage of Manuel's athleticism and to force opposing defenses to respect his ability to run. Originally I was thinking that Kolb would be the full time starter, but now I think that Manuel has a better than 50/50 chance to start because he is a better fit for the new offense.

I dont know why everyone is getting all excited, just because Manuel has speed don't mean he's going to be anygood, the kid could end up sucking, who knows.. Sure the receivers can run, but are they going to get open, are they going to have an offensive Corr. that can get them the ball.? Hackett hasen't done crap in this league, neither had Marrone or even Pettie.. We were all excited and pumped up last year when Wannsuck took over the defense and how did that work out..? Until these guys actually look good, and win games I think they need to prove themselves...And I'm pretty much tired of getting all excited every year just to get smacked in the ass and sent to my bed..... Show me the Damn baby!

I am more optimistic than a lot of people regarding the Bills 2013 season. So many people say, "rookies need time to acclimate," or, "the coaching staff will take a year or two to get it all together", etc. I say, Hackett has all these players - and for the most part the WR corps is half rookie, the rest mostly inexperienced, too - but, the O-line is experienced enough, the RB's are experienced enough. The QB is a rookie, too. Yet, there is a big difference between a rookie QB and WR's coming into a system that is already set, and those players trying to fit in just right with everyone else, and our situation.

Hackett can design an offense that plays to the strengths of our rookie WR's, and he can design an offense that Manuel feels pretty comfortable running. The fact that we have Spiller, Jackson, and Johnson, and a good O-line, all will help in this. But, you look around the NFL at the teams who've had success recently with rookie, or 2nd year QB's. San Fran, Seattle, Indy, and Washington. Two of those teams had college head coaches who turned NFL coaches, and one of the other two was a new H.C.. These guys were designing offenses to play to their QB's strengths. That is why they were successful. It WASN'T BECAUSE THEY ASKED THE QB'S TO COME IN AND RUN A COMPLEX, TRADITIONAL NFL STYLE OFFENSE. Rather, the staffs knew what their QB's did well, and built a system around that.

Now, I ask, why is it so hard to believe Hackett - who is very familiar with the skill sets of college kids - can't put together an offense that is simple enough for his WR's and QB to learn and run efficiently (and, by the way, a simple offense does not have to be easy to defend - remember the K-Gun, which was only a few plays with many variations - AND, the easier it is the less thinking the guys have to do, the faster they can play)? I expect to see such an offense, which is why I believe we'll be able to score. Whether we have moments of struggle I don't doubt. But, I also believe we'll be able to score enough to win a lot of games.

And, as for defense - we have quite a few talented players. There's no reason, especially with as decorated a Coordinator as Pettine is, that we can't be a top 15 defense. I think we'll be better than that - top 10, I think - and coupled with an offense that can score - we'll be in the mix for a wild-card. 10-6, 9-7 is where I see us finishing. That's no crazy talk.

I dont know why everyone is getting all excited, just because Manuel has speed don't mean he's going to be anygood, the kid could end up sucking, who knows.. Sure the receivers can run, but are they going to get open, are they going to have an offensive Corr. that can get them the ball.? Hackett hasen't done crap in this league, neither had Marrone or even Pettie.. We were all excited and pumped up last year when Wannsuck took over the defense and how did that work out..? Until these guys actually look good, and win games I think they need to prove themselves...And I'm pretty much tired of getting all excited every year just to get smacked in the ass and sent to my bed..... Show me the Damn baby!

Bingo.

We have A LOT of unprovens on our team. I'll cheer them loudly, but I'm certainly not bold enough to predict them world beaters until I actually see something.

I am more optimistic than a lot of people regarding the Bills 2013 season. So many people say, "rookies need time to acclimate," or, "the coaching staff will take a year or two to get it all together", etc. I say, Hackett has all these players - and for the most part the WR corps is half rookie, the rest mostly inexperienced, too - but, the O-line is experienced enough, the RB's are experienced enough. The QB is a rookie, too. Yet, there is a big difference between a rookie QB and WR's coming into a system that is already set, and those players trying to fit in just right with everyone else, and our situation.

Hackett can design an offense that plays to the strengths of our rookie WR's, and he can design an offense that Manuel feels pretty comfortable running. The fact that we have Spiller, Jackson, and Johnson, and a good O-line, all will help in this. But, you look around the NFL at the teams who've had success recently with rookie, or 2nd year QB's. San Fran, Seattle, Indy, and Washington. Two of those teams had college head coaches who turned NFL coaches, and one of the other two was a new H.C.. These guys were designing offenses to play to their QB's strengths. That is why they were successful. It WASN'T BECAUSE THEY ASKED THE QB'S TO COME IN AND RUN A COMPLEX, TRADITIONAL NFL STYLE OFFENSE. Rather, the staffs knew what their QB's did well, and built a system around that.

Now, I ask, why is it so hard to believe Hackett - who is very familiar with the skill sets of college kids - can't put together an offense that is simple enough for his WR's and QB to learn and run efficiently (and, by the way, a simple offense does not have to be easy to defend - remember the K-Gun, which was only a few plays with many variations - AND, the easier it is the less thinking the guys have to do, the faster they can play)? I expect to see such an offense, which is why I believe we'll be able to score. Whether we have moments of struggle I don't doubt. But, I also believe we'll be able to score enough to win a lot of games.

And, as for defense - we have quite a few talented players. There's no reason, especially with as decorated a Coordinator as Pettine is, that we can't be a top 15 defense. I think we'll be better than that - top 10, I think - and coupled with an offense that can score - we'll be in the mix for a wild-card. 10-6, 9-7 is where I see us finishing. That's no crazy talk.

Lets slow down grasshopper... Didn't we all say the same things about Chan and how he used what he had and designed an offense to work with the players strengths, and we all thought, wow thats really cool we should have a top 10 offense, then we hired Wannsuck and we all thought, gee what an awesome Defense were going to have, imagine the defense that Wannsuck is going to draw up and the blitzes he could do...Ya well none of that worked out did it.. Pettine has never been a full time NFL Corr. He has worked as a defensive corr. under some good defensive coaches, but do you think for one second it was his defense over at the Jets, or maybe rex's..? HHmmmm simple answer, it was rex's.. Just because Manuel is big and is fast and was taken in the first round is not going to make anything of him, this kid reads defenses terrible, scanning half the field before taking off and running.. That = interceptions/ fumbles / sloppyness.. And finally just because a WR is fast don't mean he will be anygood, look at TJ last year, the kid couldnt even get on the damn field..! Show me a 10-6 season and I will begin to believe the hype, until then it's the same Bills with the same holes and the same questions, nothing has changed but the faces..

In late March he said we have the 4th worst roster in the NFL, now we "could be one of the most exciting offenses in 2013"? I vehemently disagreed with his article about our roster and I can't take him seriously now. Psycho!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000154500/article/nfls-five-weakest-rosters-jacksonville-jaguars-at-top

Manuel's threat as a runner will force the opposing LBs to stay closer to the LOS, which will make things easier for all of the receivers to get open. Hackett can run a lot of play action, short screens, draws, reverses, WR screens (i.e. safe plays that get the ball into the hands of the speedsters)..............and then take a shot over the top once in awhile. It's going to be a much different offense than we're used to seeing if Manuel is the QB. The "read option" alone will force opposing defenses to change the way that they defend the field. It will force them to bring their LBs closer to the LOS or they will find themselves trying to tackle a very big, agile QB downfield. Having Manuel and Spiller in the same backfield will be difficult to defend.

I remember Nix commenting last year about how he thought that QBs like C. Kaepernick (who is a real dual run/pass threat) really changed the game.

EJ Manuel is our C. Kaepernick.

I hope they really focus on conditioning as well. I'd like to see an up-tempo offense that defenses just can't keep up with on a given play, due to raw speed, and through a drive, due to conditioning. There is no amount of preparation other teams can do that will allow them to beat those advantages outright. I hope to see teams calling time out just to catch their breath.

Hopefully they can take NFL hits.

Well considering tackling is a penalty now, I'm not too worried about it. We've gone from a slow lumbering group of wrs with a QB who struggled to throw over 10 yards to an extremely fast group of wrs with a huge, big armed QB. Let's hope it translates.

Manuel's threat as a runner will force the opposing LBs to stay closer to the LOS, which will make things easier for all of the receivers to get open. Hackett can run a lot of play action, short screens, draws, reverses, WR screens (i.e. safe plays that get the ball into the hands of the speedsters)..............and then take a shot over the top once in awhile. It's going to be a much different offense than we're used to seeing if Manuel is the QB. The "read option" alone will force opposing defenses to change the way that they defend the field. It will force them to bring their LBs closer to the LOS or they will find themselves trying to tackle a very big, agile QB downfield. Having Manuel and Spiller in the same backfield will be difficult to defend.

I remember Nix commenting last year about how he thought that QBs like C. Kaepernick (who is a real dual run/pass threat) really changed the game.

EJ Manuel is our C. Kaepernick.

Well then, I guess its just that simple.. Get fast WR's, get a scrambling rookie QB, and a rookie OC, and you have a top 10 offense because now defense have to line up closer and account for things...Man these defensive coordinators are used to that stuff, they are professionals, they will do things to us that put us on our heels too..I've coached Offense for 7 years, Defensive Corr. will get just as creative as you, just when you think you can put them on their heels they put you on yours..It's a chess game, it really is, its back and forth and you only hope your players make more play then their players.... Just because your QB can do something like run, which many QB's have done before, does not mean the offensive Corr. will use him that way, maybe he runs too much and can't get the ball to the WR's down field, maybe he panics, and then again maybe he takes us to the super bowl..Noone knows until the lights come on...

Seriously though going back to the title the Bills could qualify for the finals in the 4X100 Olympics.

Not a medal but could be an also ran in the finals

With CJ X TJ X Goodwin X and Gilmore. You got a shot plus Da'Rick Rodgers and McKelvin as Alternates in case someone pulls a hammy.

That is a Fast squad right there. I don't think Netherlands or Japan would stand a chance.

Edited by Why So Serious?

This. I am optimistic, but I too tire of the cyclical bipolar fan mood that been going on for a decade. I remember being pumped about the Donahoe hire.