2013 NFL Draft: AFC East grades

AFC EAST

Buffalo Bills

The Bills will be highly criticized for the selection of EJ Manuel, but one has to wonder if general manager Buddy Nix and head coach Doug Marrone would get as many questions if they'd taken "safer" options like Matt Barkley or Ryan Nassib. Manuel wasn't asked to make complicated reads in Tallahassee and impressed coaches at the Senior Bowl when forced to do so. He's too much of a projection to warrant No. 16 overall but is the most dynamic dual-threat passer in the draft, and his upside is through the roof. Manuel will have a sure-handed receiver like he had at Florida State with the ultra-smooth Robert Woods, landed in the second round. Kiko Alonso was the guy making all of the plays that Dion Jordan (Miami, No. 3 overall) was supposed to make and could surprise, as could Texas' highly-athletic (and surprisingly tough) wideout, Marquise Goodwin. Of Buffalo's third-day selections, I'm highest on Nevada safety Duke Williams, who would've gone at least a round higher if he'd made more big plays. Grade: B

http://www.cbssports...afc-east-grades

Bills get equal grade or better to rest of AFC East.

Edited by Awwufelloff

I'm surprised they graded us that high considering that a lot of "experts" say we reached for EJ. But I think this is one of our best drafts in recent years. Time will tell though.

A lot of "experts" who say we over reached for EJ saying that he would have been there in the late 2nd or early 3rd or even in the 3rd or 4th (like McShay Who had EJ as he 6th rated QB) were over blowing it to cover up their horrendous prognostications and bad draft boards.

I think we still could have traded back to the 20-25 range and maybe picked up another 3rd and 5th or 6th and still gotten EJ. I think there were a lot of teams that were looking to trade back into the late 1st to take EJ.

A lot of "experts" who say we over reached for EJ saying that he would have been there in the late 2nd or early 3rd or even in the 3rd or 4th (like McShay Who had EJ as he 6th rated QB) were over blowing it to cover up their horrendous prognostications and bad draft boards.

I think we still could have traded back to the 20-25 range and maybe picked up another 3rd and 5th or 6th and still gotten EJ. I think there were a lot of teams that were looking to trade back into the late 1st to take EJ.

You have absolutely no way of knowing that and we just as easily could have lost EJ Manuel to a team pulling the trigger to trade up.......

The bills got the QB they wanted....that imo is good enough

Got a C from Sporting News fwiw...obviously he's not sold on Manuel and thinks Woods is just a possession receiver. We shall see.

Grade: C

Buffalo Bills: The Bills were all about going back to the drawing board with their passing game. The centerpiece is Florida State quarterback EJ Manuel, but coach Doug Marrone and his staff have their work cut out to turn him into a polished, athletic passer. They also will try to get Manuel on the same page with the receivers they took for him, USC possession-type Robert Woods and Texas speedster Marquise Goodwin. Their best pick for the present was on defense, Oregon inside linebacker Kiko Alonso. Offensively, there's a lot of potential but more shaky unknown.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-04-27/nfl-draft-2013-grades-team-by-team-analysis-report-card-steelers-eagles

You have absolutely no way of knowing that and we just as easily could have lost EJ Manuel to a team pulling the trigger to trade up.......

The bills got the QB they wanted....that imo is good enough

also look at it like this if getting the qb that you wanted was not good enough.

with the 8th pick in the nfl draft, the buffalo bills select qb ej manuel, lb kiko alonzo and te chris gragg.

i have no idea how good this draft will be, but it's already incredibly exciting.

There's no such thing as reaching when it comes to a franchise QB. Obviously the Bills view him as such, so assuming he turns into exactly that, it's not reaching at all. The opportunity cost of not making a 2nd trade to move back again is minimal when you consider the quality of the rest of the draft.

Not sure if EJ will turn out to be a franchise quarterback, QB's are too much of a crap shoot. That being said, I thought he was the best one available and glad the Bills chose him. As far as drafting down more, it assumes the Bills could have found a dance partner that would have offered them more for the 16th pick or more for the original 8th.

My guess is the talking heads are just blowing wind out their back sides in this regard. You cut the best deal you can and once you do you don't get too greedy or you lose what you were originally aiming for.... Not worth the risk, imo. Like politics, people believe it just cause the echo chamber repeates it a bunch of times. Even if it is really just Rush Limbaugh oxy inspired made up crap.

Edited by North Buffalo1

When Manuel becomes the franchise quarterback, this draft will be an A+

after 5 -11 this rebuilding year, everyone will be calling for M'Nix's heads. Seriously, will the bills be a better team on the field THIS year with this group? College coaches, new QB, Byrd probably gone, new everything..... I say no. We won 6 games last year. No more than that this year. Lets have fun for the next 5 months.

Not a bad report in the link provided.

I've seen many worse. Still can't get over Pete the Putz TV rating of F - (then in print F).

The Washington Post hack has the Bills with the worst rated along with Dallas.

I often wonder why the Bills are so derided in the DC area

AFC EAST

Buffalo Bills

The Bills will be highly criticized for the selection of EJ Manuel, but one has to wonder if general manager Buddy Nix and head coach Doug Marrone would get as many questions if they'd taken "safer" options like Matt Barkley or Ryan Nassib. Manuel wasn't asked to make complicated reads in Tallahassee and impressed coaches at the Senior Bowl when forced to do so. He's too much of a projection to warrant No. 16 overall but is the most dynamic dual-threat passer in the draft, and his upside is through the roof. Manuel will have a sure-handed receiver like he had at Florida State with the ultra-smooth Robert Woods, landed in the second round. Kiko Alonso was the guy making all of the plays that Dion Jordan (Miami, No. 3 overall) was supposed to make and could surprise, as could Texas' highly-athletic (and surprisingly tough) wideout, Marquise Goodwin. Of Buffalo's third-day selections, I'm highest on Nevada safety Duke Williams, who would've gone at least a round higher if he'd made more big plays. Grade: B

http://www.cbssports...afc-east-grades

Bills get equal grade or better to rest of AFC East.

After I read this I knew it couldn't be Pete Prisco. Grading the drafts right now is ridiculous, but fwiw I feel good about this draft. I don't know that we'll be competitive this year, but it's a good foundation to build the offense around.