Interesting article on Favre's "deification"

I guess, its just hard to believe that Bret Farve the epitamy of football, its legacy and everything it stands for..can actually be beaten, can actually be immortal..can actually be getting old and considering retirement..yes ladies and gentleman what is happening to bret farve will probably happen to all good football players unless they retire at the top of there game..they are quite simply getting old and rusty..sooner or later it will happen to everybody..

Yeah, it's not that the team around him is deteriorating.  Ahman Green is propping him up?  Oh, OK.

That article is a load.  It's like something Ice would have written.

199956[/snapback]

That's kind of the point isn't it? 5 years ago Favre didn't need a RB to prop him up. If you don't think he has seriously lost a lot of his talent, you haven't watched enough GB games.

I kept hearing people yesterday saying that he is the king of the comeback drive. The last few years, Favre's version of a comeback drive is throwing the ball 40 yards downfield, straight up in the air, and hoping his recievers can come up with it. Then, when they do make a great effort and grab the ball, it's the amazing Brett Favre that is responsible.

Favre is one of the best to ever play, but he's only slightly over mediocre right now.

Who here thinks he coulda took us to a Superbowl vice Bledsoe. Nuff Said!

199966[/snapback]

What does any of this matter? The Bills organization never had a choice of Bledsoe or Favre, and between the current version of both. No I don't think we could've gone to the superbowl with Favre. Playoffs at best. Now if your were asking. "Who here thinks he could've would won us a superbowl vice Jim Kelly" I would answer with a resounding Hell Yes we would've won a superbowl with The Brett Favre of years past.

The guy like Drew just isn't the same qb, and needs to perfect team on offense, defense, special teams and coaching. Favre has Javon Walker,Donald Driver, Ahman Green, Robert Ferguson,Bubba Franks, a great offensive line and still only led the packers to the same 9-7 record that the bills had. Only difference being the packers could win their division at 9-7.

Brett Favre is credited for what he's done in the past, and rightfully so, but to say he's an "elite" qb anymore is over the top. Favre isn't winning anymore championships and his past few years in playoff games have been downright disgusting. In his last 6 playoff games Brett Favres stats read.

131/214 1512 yards 9 tds 14int's and a 2-4 record.

Brett Favre the great quaterback no longer exists. He's mortal, and only glorified for how great he used to be.

I hate that everyone overlooks the fact that Farve was a complete jerk when he was suffering from alcoholism and addiction to prescription drugs. It's great he got over it and all - but what a whiny B word to have got to that place in the first place. NFL QB's have it so hard after all :lol:.

He is forever demeaned in my eyes for that episode. Great QB and everything, but does NOT deserve the arse licking he gets.

What does any of this matter? The Bills organization never had a choice of Bledsoe or Favre
It's a hypothetical queston........If Favre was our QB this year...with this team...Where would we have gone? .....Hypotheticialy speaking? I say alot farther. Thats all

Yeah, it's not that the team around him is deteriorating.  Ahman Green is propping him up?  Oh, OK.

That article is a load.  It's like something Ice would have written.

199956[/snapback]

You don't think there's anything unusual about the way the media treats the guy? Putting aside what you think of the article's assessment of his talent level, I think there are some valid points about the kind of attention he gets from the media.

I've been driving the "favre has lost a step" bus for a couple years now, but some of you are getting carried away.

No, he isn't the player he was in 1996. Still, you can't name 10 QB's today who are better.

His aforementioned supporting cast consists of a good OL and Ahmen Green. His WR core for the last several years has been pretty average. Javon Walker finally just had a breakout year this year. Donald Driver would be no better than an average #2 WR on most teams. And of course his defense stinks.

What does any of this matter? The Bills organization never had a choice of Bledsoe or Favre, and between the current version of both. No I don't think we could've gone to the superbowl with Favre.  Playoffs at best. Now if your were asking.  "Who here thinks he could've would won us a superbowl vice Jim Kelly"  I would answer with a resounding Hell Yes we would've won a superbowl with The Brett Favre of years past. 

The guy like Drew just isn't the same qb, and needs to perfect team on offense, defense, special teams and coaching.  Favre has Javon Walker,Donald Driver, Ahman Green, Robert Ferguson,Bubba Franks, a great offensive line and still only led the packers to the same 9-7 record that the bills had. Only difference being the packers could win their division at 9-7. 

Brett Favre is credited for what he's done in the past, and rightfully so, but to say he's an "elite" qb anymore is over the top. Favre isn't winning anymore championships and his past few years in playoff games have been downright disgusting. In his last 6 playoff games Brett Favres stats read.

131/214 1512 yards 9 tds 14int's and a 2-4 record.

Brett Favre the great quaterback no longer exists.  He's mortal, and only glorified for how great he used to be.

199967[/snapback]

Because in the playoffs your team's weakness' are generally magnified. The Packers secondary may be the worst in the NFL and few QBs will play well when faced with a 17-0 deficit with 6 minutes to go in the first quarter.

Favre got that team with a TD twice yesterday only to have the defense completely blow any momentum they had.

As far as naming off names, whoopie. Green is nowhere near the weapon he once was because Sherman doesn't trust him not to put the ball on the ground. The rest of them are pretty interchangeable - with the possible exception of Walker.

That said, it didn't surprise me that the Packer's offense (or Favre) struggled yesterday. Not too many teams would move the ball effectively playing without 2 of their top three receivers for most of the game - especially when you're 2 TDs behind.

You don't think there's anything unusual about the way the media treats the guy?  Putting aside what you think of the article's assessment of his talent level, I think there are some valid points about the kind of attention he gets from the media.

199986[/snapback]

The article sounds like sour grapes to me. That's America. Build a guy up, then tear him down.

Who here thinks he coulda took us to a Superbowl vice Bledsoe. Nuff Said!

199966[/snapback]

Not me...

He (Farve) makes some pretty boneheaded choices that result in picks (see GB-Jax game)

Just as in Tom Brady... A GOOD QB, MADE GREAT by SuperBowl SUCCESS... (I will give credit to Peter King for that one (reference to TB, which I carry over to Farve)!)

What would have been your take if Bledsoe had pulled off the NE-GB SuperBowl?... That is the only SB Farve has won, right?

:D

I have a lot of respect for Favre. I don't remember ever seeing a game quite as dramatic as the Monday nighter after his father died. It was truly inspired football at its best, and when I think of Favre, I think of that performance long before I think of his battle with Vicoden.

That said, however, if you really want to measure how much leeway he is given, consider the one boneheaded play he made last night that many would argue cost them momentum.

Third and six at the Vikings seven, Favre scrambles and then opts to run for it. He gets four yards beyond the line of scrimmage, is about to get nailed by three or four defenders, and he underhands the ball to a receiver in the endzone. Illegal pass. Five yard penalty. Missed field goal ensues.

Had he just kept his head about him, they would have been kicking that field goal from the two. Any other quarterback would get ridiculed by the announcers, but since it was Favre, it was kinda funny...almost cute.

If that were, for example, a Bledsoe screw up followed by a Lindell missed field goal, people would have burned the Ralph down.