WHY is everyone mocking a QB @ #8?

Maybe my read between the lines sensor is on the fritz, here's what I've gotten from this thread...

1. We should draft a QB in Rd1 because they have the best chance of being good.

Not just QBs but all positions in Rd1 have the best chance at success because teams are selecting the best players in Rd1. QBs in Rd1 are better on average because they are supposed to be the better QBs coming out of college. They are NOT better because they are drafted in Rd1 they are drafted in Rd1 because they are better.

2. So we draft a QB in Rd1, even if there is a possibility he's going to suck, because even if he does suck we can pick another one next year?

The good old desperation pick. This has burned more team than it has ever helped. If the Bills are convined there is a QB in this draft worthy of being the 8th pick they should grab him. If not then they shouldn't. Simple as that. Wow I can see next years post already if they draft a QB out of desperation and he flops. Especially if they could have drafted player X, Y, or Z who made the pro bowl as a rookie. The same posters who are asking for a QB at all cost would be calling for Nix's head on a plate.

Edited by MikeSpeed

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have asked the question a few times. What made Kaepernick, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, Taneyhill, Dalton or Weeden any better of a prospect than Smith, Barkley, Nassib, or Manuel? What they have in common is that the new CBA's rookie wage scale and the need for elite QB play makes taking a top of the draft flyer on a guy with "potential" much more attractive than ever before. What it will also mean is that a higher portion of these types will be cut loose before they ever get a 2nd contract with the team that drafted them.

I think that OBD has been slow to recognize this new reality and they were still slotting them under the old criteria and were surprised to see QBs they liked go much earlier than they were projecting. BPA and drafting a QB are not compatible concepts. They weren't married to Fitz they just thought they had the luxury of being patient.

Thats not necessarily true though. Yes, in recent years several QB's have come in right away and made a huge impact on their team. However, that is still NOT the preferred choice among most teams in the NFL who would rather have a young QB sit a year or two and learn before throwing him into the fire. And with todays new rookie cap, teams can afford to let rookies earn their starting spot rather than just give it to them by default out of the gate. Like in Seattle last year, they got Flynn and drafted Wilson. They didnt hand the job to Wilson, he just flat out earned it. Then look at a team like the Niners, they took Kap but he sat until he got an opportunity to show he was ready to take over.

So I don't think anyone we take at 8 will be given the job, they will have to beat out Kolb and TJ to be the starter week 1 this year. In fact, if we take a guy 8 I would say it will be a long shot he is a week 1 starter given the veteran presence at QB on this team.

If you draft someone that high you expect them to come right in and start. We aren't in a position to have our #1 pick sitting on the bench. We have too many holes on our team. With a top 10 pick we need to get someone that will make us a better team instantly

When Buddy says 'we'll find out in 2-3 years if he was worth the 8th pick", there is very little doubt they are taking a 1st round QB. Unless Buddy, at the age of 70-whatever, is going to start blowing smoke.

Yeah, because NFL GM's always publicly announce their draft strategies to make sure everyone knows their plans.

If you draft someone that high you expect them to come right in and start. We aren't in a position to have our #1 pick sitting on the bench. We have too many holes on our team. With a top 10 pick we need to get someone that will make us a better team instantly

Agreed. And taking Nassib, the 35th ranked college QB with the 8th pick in the draft is not the way to make a team better. Though I have to say, he looked really good against Stoney Brook. It might help us pick higher than 8th next year though.

I agree that we don't NEED a QB. But that dummy Buddy Nix will go after one anyhow after failing to take one the past few years. I don't like having a GM that is desperate. Could lead to reaching for a guy that might not be the best fit. But anyhow, why get Kolb if we are getting a guy at pick 8? If you pick someone that high then you expect them to come in to be an immediate starter and difference maker. If you want a guy to develop then get them in the 2nd. That's my take on the situation

Who wants a guy who can come in and be difference maker? Right on!

Chan Gailey Coaching History - Graduate Assistant, DBs, DBs, DC, HC, TE/ST, WR/TE, QB, OC/WR, HC, HC, WR, OC, HC, OC, HC, OC, HC. First draft pick - CJ Spiller. Never was a RB Coach.

Mike Mularky Coaching History - TE, TE, OC, HC (Bills), OC, TE, OC, HC. First draft pick - Lee Evans (JP Second). Never was a WR or QB coach.

Greg Williams Coaching History - Def Asst/ST/LB, DC, HC (Bills), DC, DC, DC. First draft pick - Nate Clements. Never a CB or DB coach.

Only once did this hold true, Dick Jauron started as a DB coach and picked Donte Whitner. 1 out of the last 4 is hardly a trend at all. Perhaps you should take 5 minutes to do a bit of research before just making crap up.

:thumbsup:

Why is "everyone" mocking us a QB? Because, Barkley is going to be the next franchise QB of the Buffalo Bills, and the first QB to take this team to the playoffs in tooooooo long!

Last year, it was called the Year of the QB. Luck, RG3, Wilson, Ponder, etc.

This year? It's called nothing. The year of NOT the QB. That's not to say there isn't a gem, but that there is no obvious/definitive Franchise Quarterback.

First off, new head coaches typically draft according to what type of coach they originally started out as. Marrone? He used to be an Lineman Coach before becoming head, and loves to build his OL (Pugh may be a 1st rounder).

If it were up to Marrone, I'm sure he'd love to trade back and nab Nassib & Pugh both at the end of the 1st.

In all likelihood? Here's how I predict it will all lay out come this weekend.

1st Rd - #8 Lane Johnson/Jonathon Cooper

2nd Rd - #41 Ryan Nassib/Matt Barkley

3rd Rd - #71 Shamarko Thomas, S Syracuse

4th Rd - #105 Travis Kelce, TE Cinci

If this were to happen, I would be a happy man. We simply would be filling every one of our needs besides WR and LB, which I am OK with our current fill-ins. Alec Lemon and Marcus Sales may indeed go undrafted unless Marrone spends a 6/7th rounder on Lemon, so I'm sure he's fine with signing one or both of these guys as a FA post-draft.

Would this make everyone happy? Marrone is a lot smarter than we all are giving him credit for, and kudos to him for even making it seem like the Bills are putting up a smokescreen for their #8 pick this year.

Hopefully Buddy takes a convenient bathroom break once we are on the clock so Marrone and Co. have the freedom to choose who they want to start building this team.

Buddy Nix makes all the final draft decisions NOT Maronne. If anything Maronne gives his opinion and that's about it, so the idea of Nix "being out of the room" is laughable. Nix also has been quoted as saying in the past, and has a history that supports it, that he does not believe in drafting guards. His theory is that Tackles are the better athletes so if you draft tackles and move to them to guard you will be better off than drafting a good college guard. This is what he did with Levitre and has done numerous times in the past if you look it up. These quotes are from last year's draft from Buddy Nix:

"We're going to draft a tackle if we can. If there's one there is what I mean. If there's one we think can play we're going to draft a tackle. You can never have too many tackles." (January 9)

"... it's easier to move a guy from tackle to guard than it is from guard to tackle, obviously. We draft tackles and we are at pretty good shape at guard and center." (January 9)

Interesting article full of Buddy Nix quotes from last year

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012/4/16/2951055/2012-nfl-draft-buffalo-bills-gm-buddy-nix-quotes

Why is "everyone" mocking us a QB? Because, Barkley is going to be the next franchise QB of the Buffalo Bills, and the first QB to take this team to the playoffs in tooooooo long!

I'd say EJ Manuel by trading down. Kolb gives them this luxury which is why they signed him. Manuel has some of the best potential but needs a bit more time to get up to NFL speed. Kolb gives them the ability to go after the guy they really want and take the time to bring him up to speed. I don't think the Nassib theories carry any weight at all.

I sure hope you're wrong....I don't like the thought of any of this year's QBs for us, besides Nassib. He is the only QB that can come in and challenge Kolb best within Marrone's system.

I get it. YES we need a QB. YES we can take one at #8. YES it feels a need. BUTTTTTTTTT and it's a big but, WE HAVE NIX RUNNING THE SHOW PEOPLE!!!!

Why in the world would you trust Nix to make the RIGHT selection at #8 after years of awful front-office decisions. Heck, if you're saying to just select our guy at #8 to play it safe, how do you know who that is? For all we know they could like Wilson the best, would you be OK with that selection at #8??

With the Kolb signing, we are safe to wait in Round 1. That is my point. Does anyone REALLY think the Jets are going to take Nassib before us @ #9 or #13? I certainly hope not. Let's be honest, the only 2 (maybe 3) QBs which will go in Round 1 are a combination of: Smith, Manuel and Barkley.

I sure hope you're wrong....

Huh?? :huh:

He said....

"Barkley is going to be the next franchise QB of the Buffalo Bills, and the first QB to take this team to the playoffs in tooooooo long!"

What sort of Bills fan hopes that the Bills finally winning is wrong?

Edited by Dibs