Freedom in America

But...

why wouldn't this approach work?

Because:

a) Grandma Geraldine may not know he is in the basement behind the washboard and her old bowling ball;

b) Stockholm syndrome - maybe the Johnsons grew to like the 19 year old and he promised them a luxurious life is Chechnya if they helped him;

c) they had to knock on every door as opposed to picking out specific houses - to pick only suspicious houses would be discriminatory would it not?

d) asking them if everything is ok and are there any strangers in the house doesn't mean the little piece of sh&t isn't hiding somewhere other than the living quarters.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But...

why wouldn't this approach work?

From reports I heard and read that's what happened to a lot of people. And usually it was conducted by a couple of officers, not the swat team.

One thing this Youtube video does a good job of depicting (sarcasm) is whether or not there was any call to the police that the suspect was seen on or around the premises of this house. Or where was the camera 5 minutes before this started that showed the people inside acting suspicious when the cops politely approached them? Who knows what the situation really was. Hell, for all anyone knows, this was a warrant violation from 3 months ago that was just uploaded to Youtube.

But hey, it's much easier to imagine that the police just yanked these people out of their house, all the while the neighbor across the street was allowed to stay in his house and video it. Where was his camera when the swat team moved on to illegally evict him and seize his house? Or are the police just performing random 4th Amendment violations?

From reports I heard and read that's what happened to a lot of people. And usually it was conducted by a couple of officers, not the swat team.

One thing this Youtube video does a good job of depicting (sarcasm) is whether or not there was any call to the police that the suspect was seen on or around the premises of this house. Or where was the camera 5 minutes before this started that showed the people inside acting suspicious when the cops politely approached them? Who knows what the situation really was. Hell, for all anyone knows, this was a warrant violation from 3 months ago that was just uploaded to Youtube.

But hey, it's much easier to imagine that the police just yanked these people out of their house, all the while the neighbor across the street was allowed to stay in his house and video it. Where was his camera when the swat team moved on to illegally evict him and seize his house? Or are the police just performing random 4th Amendment violations?

Good to hear that they didn't do that for EVERY house, but it shouldn't have been done to ANY house unless they had GOOD info that the perp was there, and obviously, looking back at it now, they DID NOT have any good info on his location until the guy found him hiding in his boat. It appears that they're damn lucky he was wounded in "the shootout" the night before, as that severely limited his ability to run.

Here's a link to the FULL video, which clearly shows NOTHING going on (by the inhabitants of the house) before the Feds start banging on the front door, and then systematically removing each person, telling them to keep their hands on their head, and patting them down. It also shows that after the raid, the cops mill about and talk about who's going to go to DD to pick up the next round of donuts, the violated folks eventually come down the street and pick up their dog (was tied up to the fence), and then head home. And CLEARLY, it is from Friday in Watertown, MA.

Here's a pertinent quote from Ben Franklin: "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”

Good to hear that they didn't do that for EVERY house, but it shouldn't have been done to ANY house unless they had GOOD info that the perp was there, and obviously, looking back at it now, they DID NOT have any good info on his location until the guy found him hiding in his boat. It appears that they're damn lucky he was wounded in "the shootout" the night before, as that severely limited his ability to run.

Here's a link to the FULL video, which clearly shows NOTHING going on (by the inhabitants of the house) before the Feds start banging on the front door, and then systematically removing each person, telling them to keep their hands on their head, and patting them down. It also shows that after the raid, the cops mill about and talk about who's going to go to DD to pick up the next round of donuts, the violated folks eventually come down the street and pick up their dog (was tied up to the fence), and then head home. And CLEARLY, it is from Friday in Watertown, MA.

Here's a pertinent quote from Ben Franklin: "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”

Your link isn't there.

Must be a conspiracy to suppress the truth. Good thing we've got you to keep us informed.

:lol: :lol:

The real crime that was committed against our civil liberties didn't happen in Watertown or Boston. It happened in Washington on October 26th, 2001.

But I don't want to feed the troll.

I knew what you were referring to. I'm disinclined to agree...but can't say you don't have a point. The contrivedly offensively named "USA PATRIOT Act" shares a lot of the issues with the unironically oxymoronically named "Affordable Care Act": some good ideas put together in a framework of bull **** that no one really understood, ramrodded through Congress on a basis of emotional pablum rather than rational thought.

Define essential

I knew what you were referring to. I'm disinclined to agree...but can't say you don't have a point. The contrivedly offensively named "USA PATRIOT Act" shares a lot of the issues with the unironically oxymoronically named "Affordable Care Act": some good ideas put together in a framework of bull **** that no one really understood, ramrodded through Congress on a basis of emotional pablum rather than rational thought.

Sure. And the ACA has a ton of privacy issues and a slightly smaller boondoggle of government waste. Both were rushed through the legislative process out of fear. Both will have an impact on future generations in some "positive" ways but mainly negative. The Jefferson quote he pinned was the calling card of the anti-Patriot act crowd for months and months ... they had a point then, but Jax doesn't have a point using it here.

Edited by We Come In Peace

Sure. And the ACA has a ton of privacy issues and a slightly smaller boondoggle of government waste. Both were rushed through the legislative process out of fear. Both will have an impact on future generations in some "positive" ways but mainly negative. The Jefferson quote he pinned was the calling card of the anti-Patriot act crowd for months and months ... they had a point then, but Jax doesn't have a point using it here.

Which gets back to what I posted: you're an idiot. What "point?"

And what everyone seems to ignore is that the reason PATRIOT steam rolled through Congress so fast is that most of its provisions were already codified in existing federal laws and PATRIOT simply consolidated them in one place.

Define essential

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

There aren't ANY exceptions, I don't care who you're looking for.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Oh, there's one exception: define "unreasonable".

I'm sure that's what Franklin was referring to when he wrote the essential liberty letter arguing for the funding to protect the Pennsylvania frontier in 1750