Micheal Mauti - LB - Penn State

Okay, so I am admittedly a Penn State homer here...but I wanted to throw this name out as a late round (5-7) selection.

LB Micheal Mauti

The guy is a high character guy, has 2-3 round potential, great on and off-field leader, and really the only knock on him (and admittedly it is a big knock) is his health. He has had several ACL injuries, including one last season. *If* he can stay healthy, I think he will outperform most of the LB in this class. You could get worse for a 5th or 6th round selection.

Bleacher Report (who i cant link to apparently...) just named him as one of this years sleepers, and I agree. Thoughts?

http://www.pennlive....er_michael.html

Okay, so I am admittedly a Penn State homer here...but I wanted to throw this name out as a late round (5-7) selection.

LB Micheal Mauti

The guy is a high character guy, has 2-3 round potential, great on and off-field leader, and really the only knock on him (and admittedly it is a big knock) is his health. He has had several ACL injuries, including one last season. *If* he can stay healthy, I think he will outperform most of the LB in this class. You could get worse for a 5th or 6th round selection.

Bleacher Report (who i cant link to apparently...) just named him as one of this years sleepers, and I agree. Thoughts?

http://www.pennlive....er_michael.html

sure

This team needs to hit on every single draft pick, an immediate contribution is a must. Unless you feel that there will be a slew of FA signings and UDFA impact signings we have 6 picks and the following holes:

QB

WR

WR

TE

LB

LB

OL

OL

If my math is correct that's more holes than picks. We don't have the luxury of taking a flyer on anyone.(IMO)

This team needs to hit on every single draft pick, an immediate contribution is a must. Unless you feel that there will be a slew of FA signings and UDFA impact signings we have 6 picks and the following holes:

QB

WR

WR

TE

LB

LB

OL

OL

If my math is correct that's more holes than picks. We don't have the luxury of taking a flyer on anyone.(IMO)

We could say they could use an upgrade at SS and CB, too. However, we could also say the Bills could get by this year with an upgrade at Sheppard's ILB spot, at Levitre's vacant spot, at TE, at WR (Easley gets his final shot, I think, and could still be a player). If we didn't get a QB, Kolb and Jackson could hold it down - sure, we'd probably be looking at a 4-6 win season again. So, adding a rookie QB is a must, IMO. Still, as a minimum, we add QB, LG, TE, WR, and ILB. That's 5 spots.

If they're all starting caliber, it would give us enough to be competitive with; you'd have Gilmore, McKelvin, Rogers, and Brooks at CB; Byrd, Searcy, and Williams at safety; Lawson, Bradham, Rookie, and Mario/Anderson at LB; Dareus, Williams, Carrington, and Branch at D-line. That might not be perfect, but it'd be enough to probably field a top 15 defense with Pettine as DC, barring injuries.

On offense you'd have Kolb/Rookie at QB, Spiller/Jackson at RB, Glenn, Rookie, Woods, Ubrik, and Hairston on the line, Rookie TE, Stevie, Graham, Rookie, and Easley as wideouts.

Like I said - we'd like to see an upgrade at CB, another LB, another WR (besides the mandatory LB and WR already projected), and another G - although I'd be surprised if we didn't end up bringing in Moore from the Jets to help out at Guard.

QB

WR

WR

TE

LB

LB

OL

OL

With expectations like this, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. a handful of draft picks around the league come in and have an immediate impact, but to expect it from every one of our picks is not reasonable in my opinion. I am expecting it to take a year or two for Marrone to build "his" team. I'm expecting 2013 to be another unspectacular year record-wise and I think we will be drafting very highly again next year. But I feel like they might finally be heading in the right direction.

With expectations like this, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. a handful of draft picks around the league come in and have an immediate impact, but to expect it from every one of our picks is not reasonable in my opinion. I am expecting it to take a year or two for Marrone to build "his" team. I'm expecting 2013 to be another unspectacular year record-wise and I think we will be drafting very highly again next year. But I feel like they might finally be heading in the right direction.

What makes you think that's my expectation? The question was...should the Bills consider a player with multiple knee injuries. My answer is no because we cannot afford to take a flyer on anyone and I pointed out the holes as a way of making my argument. We do not have the luxury of taking this kind of chance.

Based on Nix' track record I am not holding my breath for more than 2 starters out of this draft.

I think some people are a bit tough on Nix. He has his flaws, but he also has brought in some decent talent. I, for one - especially considering the depth of this draft (so many more juniors declaring than usual) - EXPECT us to be drafting starters through the first 4 rounds. I look at it this way: we have virtually no one at LG right now. We have a 3rd rounder at ILB (Sheppard) who has actually UNDER performed, we have a 3rd and 4th rounder at WR opposite Stevie Johnson, and with Chandler out we might as well have no one at TE. Throw in QB - and I think most of us would agree on this - a 1st or 2nd rounder out of this draft should probably be a starter this year.

So, if they go QB, LB, WR, and TE with their first 4 picks there's no reason they shouldn't all be capable of starting, considering the competition. I'm counting on that, and I'm counting on the Bills striking it big with a few late round players or UDFA pick ups. There will be guys in the 6th and 7th round this year who could concievably come in and start for us - I'm thinking of certain WR's who might fall, or Tackles who might be converted to Guards, or maybe an ILB or Safety. I'll say it again - we'll have at least 4 starters on this team that came from college this year.

I know people want a QB in the first round, but I think that might be silly. You play the draft like a hand in cards. Take the best of what is dealt to you. We need LBs and WRs worse than we need an OK college QB. I say wait until next year on that position. It's not going to matter in 2013.

QB

WR

WR

TE

LB

LB

OL

OL

The way I see it, we really only need one more linebacker and one more wide receiver and we might not even need the linebacker. After that, the places we'll wanna upgrade are secondary, guard, receiver/tight end, and QB and we could skimp on one of those if we have to.

QB

WR

WR

TE

LB

LB

OL

OL

I think you can take guard off the list, Nix is going to just snatch up a waiver wire player or pluck one of the remaining free agents on the cheap. I also think you can take QB off of the list, Not because we are set but because they are going to pass on this years QB class and just go with Kolb or Jackson.

I also don't see a glaring need at RT, Pears or Hariston are viable options. Were I see desperate needs are WR, TE, and MLB and unless we get a trade down I see the first three picks going there. Then maybe a mid rounder on the O-line. The team needs good targets around the QB for any QB to be successful. I see the teams real deficiencies at LB and at targets.

Yes QB is always the number one issue but there is no need to burn a pick on a lousy QB class when we can fix other issues and then go after a QB next year.

Buddy Nix.

Sorry I haven't done my homework but how many of his late round picks are still with the team and contribute?

Good question, asked nicely. Defining "late round" as 4-7th we have:

2010: 2 of 6 Easley (4th) Moats (6th) Gone: Wang (5th; Eagles), Batten (6th), Brown (7th), Calloway (7th)

2011: 4 of 6 Searcy (4th), Hairston (5th), Chris White (6th), Justin Rogers (7th) Gone: Johnny White (5th; injury settlement from Packers), Big Mike Jasper (7th; Giants)

2012: 3 of 6 Bradham (4th), Brooks (4th), Zebrie Saunders (5th). Gone: Carder (5th; Browns), Asper (6th; Jaguars), Potter (7th)

If you want to define "late" differently, you have the ingredients, see above. Basically, the cuts track with round, with 5th round a 50/50 proposition and anything later gravy.

Somewhat surprisingly to me, for 2011 and 2012, 4 of the 5 cuts hung on in the league; Johnny White is currently a FA on an injury settlement, but he may well get a shot somewhere if he heals nicely.

First off, thinking we'll hit on every single pick especially 5th 6th and 7th is air-dreaming. From 5th round on is at best a 50-50 proposition, and many of the players who do stick will do so for Special Teams (Chris White) or spend time on the practice squad. Now to your list of holes:

QB - check. We really better draft one, and in the 1st 3 rounds.

WR - check. 2 picks used.

WR - my guess is we'll pick up a couple of UDFA and some cutdown FA/waiver wire guys to battle it out with (hopefully healthy) Easley

TE - I would like to see us draft one high, uncertain if OBD sees it this way. 3 picks used. Expect UDFA, cutdown FA and waiver-wire pickup as well.

LB - IMO, crying need. 4 picks used.

LB - I expect more LB depth from UDFA, cutdown FA, and waiver wire guys. Unsigned vet FAs whose salary expectations have undergone an attitude adjustment also possible.

OL - I think it's quite likely the Bills think their LG is already on the roster and we'll be trying Saunders or another of the young OLmen at LG. Expect a minor FA acquisition a la Pears.

OL - see above

In addition, I expect us to try to upgrade at safety and CB. (5 and 6 picks used), though again, there may be UDFA and FA pickups. It's possible the Bills might take a flier on this guy at LB, but given the injury history, I hope he's not one of our 1-4th round picks.

Edited by Hopeful

Good question, asked nicely. Defining "late round" as 4-7th we have:

2010: 2 of 6 Easley (4th) Moats (6th) Gone: Wang (5th; Eagles), Batten (6th), Brown (7th), Calloway (7th)

2011: 4 of 6 Searcy (4th), Hairston (5th), Chris White (6th), Justin Rogers (7th) Gone: Johnny White (5th; injury settlement from Packers), Big Mike Jasper (7th; Giants)

2012: 3 of 6 Bradham (4th), Brooks (4th), Zebrie Saunders (5th). Gone: Carder (5th; Browns), Asper (6th; Jaguars), Potter (7th)

If you want to define "late" differently, you have the ingredients, see above. Basically, the cuts track with round, with 5th round a 50/50 proposition and anything later gravy.

Somewhat surprisingly to me, for 2011 and 2012, 4 of the 5 cuts hung on in the league; Johnny White is currently a FA on an injury settlement, but he may well get a shot somewhere if he heals nicely.

Thanks for the reply and research. Rounds 4-7 was exactly what I was thinking.

Also, I hear a lot of talk about waiting until the later rounds to acquire OL , RB and LB

Then picks like Johnny White, Mark Asper, Wang and Tank Carder come to mind.

Edit add reply to bold:

Possibly coaching?

Edited by Uncle Joe

Thanks for the reply and research. Rounds 4-7 was exactly what I was thinking.

Also, I hear a lot of talk about waiting until the later rounds to acquire OL , RB and LB

Then picks like Johnny White, Mark Asper, Wang and Tank Carder come to mind.

Edit add reply to bold:

Possibly coaching?

Interesting points all. Overall, I believe the probability of acquiring a starter drops after the 1st 3 rounds and drops sharply after the 4th.

Whatever we need, we better draft 1st-4th, with the understanding that 4th and even 3rd round players can take a couple years to develop.

The 5th-7th rounds are a crapshoot for everyone.

LB IMO is a high need and thus must come in the 1st 3 rounds. Jboyst may disagree on the importance of LB and prefer a DB.

I don't see how it can be argued that our LB corps has been subpar for years and Manny Lawson just isn't enough to fix that.

Shep and Bradham may improve with coaching and another season, but we lack a difference maker at LB and we need to keep trying to develop quality at that position.

Re: cut players

Different levels of depth at different positions on different teams is probably the major factor. Another factor is "fit" to the team's scheme. Some of our cuts may not work in the scheme we're running and work better elsewhere. I'm sure coaching is also a factor.

Edited by Hopeful