Retro Bills Portrait gallery - fun for old-timers like me

The good side: Great pics!

The bad side: three ads and zero captions. Granted, real fans should recognize Albert Dubenion, Pete Gogolak, James Harris, and Harry Jacobs, but how about a little effort to help younger fans feel a connection to the past?

Good point.

Pic 1: "Mini" Max Anderson

Pic 2: #56

Pic 3: Paul McGuire

Pic 4: Charley Bivins? Doug Goodwin?

Pic 5: Elbert Dubenion

Pic 6: Pete Gogolak

Pic 7: Elbert Dubenion

Pic 8: Charley Ferguson

Pic 9: #56

Pic 10: Charley Ferguson

Pic 11: Harry Jacobs

Pic 12: Charley Bivins? Doug Goodwin?

Pic 13: James Harris

Pic 14: No idea. #84? #94? #34? #24?

Pic 15 & 16: Jim Reilly?

Pic 17: Charley Ferguson

Pic 18: LaVerne Torczon

Pic 19: Mike Richey? Art Laster?

Pic 20: Willie Ross? Pete Richardson?

Pic 21: Bob Schmidt

Oh wow! That's from the 60's when I followed the Bills as a kid from Kensington. I'm 55 now.

If I'm not mistaken, those shots were from either Niagara University or when they worked out at the hotel in Hamburg off the Thruway.

Ahh....memories of the old Rockpile!

:rolleyes:

Good point.

Pic 1: "Mini" Max Anderson

Pic 2: #56

Pic 3: Paul McGuire

Pic 4: Charley Bivins? Doug Goodwin?

Pic 5: Elbert Dubenion

Pic 6: Pete Gogolak

Pic 7: Elbert Dubenion

Pic 8: Charley Ferguson

Pic 9: #56

Pic 10: Charley Ferguson

Pic 11: Harry Jacobs

Pic 12: Charley Bivins? Doug Goodwin?

Pic 13: James Harris

Pic 14: No idea. #84? #94? #34? #24?

Pic 15 & 16: Jim Reilly?

Pic 17: Charley Ferguson

Pic 18: LaVerne Torczon

Pic 19: Mike Richey? Art Laster?

Pic 20: Willie Ross? Pete Richardson?

Pic 21: Bob Schmidt

Isn't Pic 3 Billy Shaw?

Pic 9 is probably Ken Lee

Wow...just some great pictures of MEN.

Very cool pictures. My late uncle used to take a lot of Bills photos back in that era... he was a photographer, so they are really nicely done portrait photos, and some in-game action photos as well. He wasn't employed by the Bills, or by the NFL, so I am not really sure under what pretense the photos were taken, but they are really cool. We found an awesome stash, late 60's, maybe early 70's of what looks to be a Bills-Bears game. Strange thing is, though, from the backround, it looks like it might be a scrimmage, cuz there are few in the stands. He also took lots of celebrity portrait photos for Melody Fair.

Any of you oldtimers know if the Bills/Bears did pre-season scrimmages in the late 60's early 70's?

What I find interesting here (and most places where you see old photos) it that these "MEN" look much older than they would today. Maybe it is just the hairstyles, or whatever....but these guys (especially the white guys) are probably all in their mid-late 20's but they look about 10 years older. Flips me out every time I see a picuture of Hank Williams Sr...he looks about 60, but he was only 27 when he died.

Surprised I didn't remember Ken Lee, but he had a great game against the Patriots http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJfYkoo-Zlc

Is that Pat Summerall doing the highlights?

Nice find...1972 was the earliest Bills season I remember...but I didin't really remember Ken Lee either. Love the old highlight films.

Love the first highlight "As usual the Bills were raring to go..." as the kicker misses the ball on the opening kickoff...40 years later and things don't change much, do they? :lol:

Edited by Buftex

Surprised I didn't remember Ken Lee, but he had a great game against the Patriots http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJfYkoo-Zlc

Is that Pat Summerall doing the highlights?

I love that in the highlights plunkett made the tackle on the first two pics he threw. Back when quarterbacks were also expected to play tackle football with everyone else

Very cool pictures. My late uncle used to take a lot of Bills photos back in that era... he was a photographer, so they are really nicely done portrait photos, and some in-game action photos as well. He wasn't employed by the Bills, or by the NFL, so I am not really sure under what pretense the photos were taken, but they are really cool. We found an awesome stash, late 60's, maybe early 70's of what looks to be a Bills-Bears game. Strange thing is, though, from the backround, it looks like it might be a scrimmage, cuz there are few in the stands. He also took lots of celebrity portrait photos for Melody Fair.

Any of you oldtimers know if the Bills/Bears did pre-season scrimmages in the late 60's early 70's?

What I find interesting here (and most places where you see old photos) it that these "MEN" look much older than they would today. Maybe it is just the hairstyles, or whatever....but these guys (especially the white guys) are probably all in their mid-late 20's but they look about 10 years older. Flips me out every time I see a picuture of Hank Williams Sr...he looks about 60, but he was only 27 when he died.

I kind of remember the Bills/Lions scrimmages back then. And what pic list is complete without Cookie? WTF?

One of my favorite Cookie memory's is his historic run against the Pats* and straight arming a player on the way to the end zone.

Walking back the pats* were surrounding the injured player. Cookies remark was. "Which one of you MOFO's is next. Larry Felzer wrote about that several times, since he was standing on the sideline within earshot. MEN indeed.

The good side: Great pics!

The bad side: three ads and zero captions. Granted, real fans should recognize Albert Dubenion, Pete Gogolak, James Harris, and Harry Jacobs, but how about a little effort to help younger fans feel a connection to the past?

Change browsers. No ads and captions for me.

Yes, the Bills/Lions have been playing a pre-season game for as long as I can remember... but the pics I am talking about are definitely the Bills and Bears. Bills are in all-white. I believe, that would have indicate the game was in Chicago...but, as I said, the stadium looks barren, leading me to believe it was a scrimmage...but maybe not. Have to do more research....

Yes, the Bills/Lions have been playing a pre-season game for as long as I can remember... but the pics I am talking about are definitely the Bills and Bears. Bills are in all-white. I believe, that would have indicate the game was in Chicago...but, as I said, the stadium looks barren, leading me to believe it was a scrimmage...but maybe not. Have to do more research....

I could easily be incorrect on this. But back in the day weren't scrimmages usually played in respective training camps?

In addition to the pre-season games?