Salary Cap Spending

dogman

I've just checked my facts and believe I am correct in the statement that each NFL team must spend 89% of the salary cap. Currently the Bills are well under that number. How can they just take a pass at free agency?

I've just checked my facts and believe I am correct in the statement that each NFL team must spend 89% of the salary cap. Currently the Bills are well under that number. How can they just take a pass at free agency?

You need to check your facts again I think. I just did a simple Google of articles on the Bills cap situation. And found ones such as this -> link to Buff News article

The Bills do not have that much room to make FA signings.

You need to check your facts again I think. I just did a simple Google of articles on the Bills cap situation. And found ones such as this -> link to Buff News article

The Bills do not have that much room to make FA signings.

That article was written on 2/13/13. It did not factor in the cap hit for Kelsay plus they also factored in a 1.3 m tender offer for Nelson which did not happen. Also, their cap hit for Fitz this year is only half of what the article stated because half is absorbed in 2013 and half in 2014. So... since that article was published, the Bills have about 11m more to spend than that. I don't know if they also acounted for McGee's cap savings, and I don't know what Manny Lawson's signing does. Also, the Bills reportedly rolled over $10m unused cap space fron 2012 to this year making their cap for 2013 about 131m. They have to spend to 89&% of the $12!m, but they could go as high as the $131m number this year.

That article was written on 2/13/13. It did not factor in the cap hit for Kelsay plus they also factored in a 1.3 m tender offer for Nelson which did not happen. Also, their cap hit for Fitz this year is only half of what the article stated because half is absorbed in 2013 and half in 2014. So... since that article was published, the Bills have about 11m more to spend than that. I don't know if they also acounted for McGee's cap savings, and I don't know what Manny Lawson's signing does. Also, the Bills reportedly rolled over $10m unused cap space fron 2012 to this year making their cap for 2013 about 131m. They have to spend to 89&% of the $12!m, but they could go as high as the $131m number this year.

Right, but I think they are almost certainly at the 109m threshold (especially with rookie pay).

Spending from here will be choice not obligation.

8 days into FA people.

I'm not sure all the FA's are waiting around until Buddy gets around to it. My concern is that without any signings they are locking their draft up, and forcing themselves to draft certain positions. That kills Buddy's "best available" concept. Or they can wait and collect all the refuse left over. My source was overthecap.com-but could be wrong.

My concern is that without any signings they are locking their draft up, and forcing themselves to draft certain positions. That kills Buddy's "best available" concept.

I see the opposite. We have so many holes now that a pure BPA will help no matter what position the BPA is on our pick. Then, after the draft, we will know exactly which positions we need FAs to fill.

$5 mil - $ 6 mil for rookeis

Byrd Contract $7 mil - $8 mil

We will sign a few FA's before the FA period is up

extend Woods

Edited by Snorom

I'm not sure all the FA's are waiting around until Buddy gets around to it. My concern is that without any signings they are locking their draft up, and forcing themselves to draft certain positions. That kills Buddy's "best available" concept. Or they can wait and collect all the refuse left over. My source was overthecap.com-but could be wrong.

it's my thinking that the opposite opinion may hold a bit of water here. if they wait until after the draft to fill out the roster, they will have the choice of picking whatever players in the draft they will feel helps the team most (buddy's "best availeable" concept), regardless of position. then after the draft you can sign journeyman vets to fill whatever holes you have left. and then there are always the camp cuts and the raiding of other teams practice squads.

I see the opposite. We have so many holes now that a pure BPA will help no matter what position the BPA is on our pick. Then, after the draft, we will know exactly which positions we need FAs to fill.

crap, guess i shoud have read the whole thread before replying...i mean...yeah, what he said!