Taxes and What not

What happened to you once? There was actually a HR/Management person that was an eff up?

Was fired without cause, because of a manager's vendetta. But HR !@#$ed it up, because they had documentation of my good work, then tried to turn around and argue non-performance (and I got a good settlement out of them).

After they did that to me, they learned to set people up first: put people in positions they were unsuited for, give verbal and written warnings and counseling, then finally fire them when they had the "problem" documented. I've seen that happen plenty of times - happened to my wife last year, and happened to a friend of her's about a month ago. The only time I've seen someone fired for a single action was when a sales director came in to work drunk off his ass and tried to take a swing at me (in front of his boss).

If HR is even remotely competent (and I know HSBC is - they're too big, and have too many regulations to worry about, to not have policies governing termination), you weren't fired for being late "once"...you were fired for a documented pattern of behavior, real OR fabricated. Managers can't just decide they don't like you and kick you out the door, and they know that, and they know how to use HR to manufacture a set-up if they want to get rid of you. So either you're being completely full of **** and aren't admitting that you !@#$ed up (which makes you an idiot), or you were fired without cause and 1) you weren't aware that you were being set up (which also makes you an idiot), or 2) your manager didn't even involve HR, and you didn't bother to check with them (which ALSO makes you an idiot). But at least in the last two, you're only unconsciously an idiot - naivete is curable.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good to know theres a cure...

I wouldn't vouch for HSBC's competence though as they purchased other outlets like Countrywide and other junk lenders and i'm not sure if they all got the uniform policies down. I can't say HSBC and their 3 strike policy isn't a good one, but i will say the manager that gave me the 3rd strike was an absolute idiot. Of course the HR person will take the managers word over the new guys word. It was a misunderstanding and I took one in the butt, it is what it is.

As far as Geico goes, twas definetly some sort of Vendetta. They denied unemployment, manager lied to unemployment judge and I did win the unemployment for what its worth. The judge kept asking the manager how someone can be fired for following the job description............... At the end of the day I did lose a job that had some long term possibilities over someone elses vendetta and am none too pleased. (i don't think a settlement is granted here as it should in this scenario)

if a settlement is in order, then joe miner please PM me and we can go after these SOB's

in regards to myself and your overuse of the word idiot............i would like that stricken from the record.

as i have said repeatedly..........these are simple black and white scenarios.........

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Was fired without cause, because of a manager's vendetta. But HR !@#$ed it up, because they had documentation of my good work, then tried to turn around and argue non-performance (and I got a good settlement out of them).

After they did that to me, they learned to set people up first: put people in positions they were unsuited for, give verbal and written warnings and counseling, then finally fire them when they had the "problem" documented. I've seen that happen plenty of times - happened to my wife last year, and happened to a friend of her's about a month ago. The only time I've seen someone fired for a single action was when a sales director came in to work drunk off his ass and tried to take a swing at me (in front of his boss).

If HR is even remotely competent (and I know HSBC is - they're too big, and have too many regulations to worry about, to not have policies governing termination), you weren't fired for being late "once"...you were fired for a documented pattern of behavior, real OR fabricated. Managers can't just decide they don't like you and kick you out the door, and they know that, and they know how to use HR to manufacture a set-up if they want to get rid of you. So either you're being completely full of **** and aren't admitting that you !@#$ed up (which makes you an idiot), or you were fired without cause and 1) you weren't aware that you were being set up (which also makes you an idiot), or 2) your manager didn't even involve HR, and you didn't bother to check with them (which ALSO makes you an idiot). But at least in the last two, you're only unconsciously an idiot - naivete is curable.

I just read this entire post and the only thing I learned is that you are well off financially.

Yeah, it doesn't make sense here, either, but I thought I'd try.

I just read this entire post and the only thing I learned is that you are well off financially.

Yeah, it doesn't make sense here, either, but I thought I'd try.

It's been a long time since you were on the bottom rungs is all I was saying. It wasn't meant to be a negative thing (I don't know when saying that about someone ever has...) just wanted to point out that it has probably been a long time since you were a "bottom feeder." Lower level positions are very susceptible to the whims of managers.

DC Tom made a very good point about companies getting smarter about firing people. IMO though that is simply dones so they can try to avoid paying unemployment. I am sure there more just than unjust firings but to say they never happen is very naive and Tom's trademark at worst.

To Ryan - any time a paper trail is generated it is time to start watching your back because the wheels have been put in motion.

It's been a long time since you were on the bottom rungs is all I was saying. It wasn't meant to be a negative thing (I don't know when saying that about someone ever has...) just wanted to point out that it has probably been a long time since you were a "bottom feeder." Lower level positions are very susceptible to the whims of managers.

DC Tom made a very good point about companies getting smarter about firing people. IMO though that is simply dones so they can try to avoid paying unemployment. I am sure there more just than unjust firings but to say they never happen is very naive and Tom's trademark at worst.

Companies have had to really step up their game to deal with us generation X and Yers.

Totally apart from the discussion of personal employment stories, I have a few concerns about how large multinational companies with extensive US operations calculate and pay their US taxes. Many US-based companies use legal tax strategies designed to maximize the income realized in low tax countries and minimize the income realized in high tax countries like the US. Most aren't doing anything wrong under current law, but as with any tax regulations, some companies step over the line in how they implement their strategies.

I don't claim to understand the nuances of multinational corporate tax accounting, but I've read enough to have some concerns about this general issue. Unfortunately, the issues are so arcane and unintelligible to most people (who often don't even understand their own personal tax issues), that I have no hope for an informed debate among the general public over "transfer pricing" between affiliated companies.

But we've got some bright (despite often being snarky) people who contribute to PPP threads, so I'm curious whether anybody here is knowledgeable about "transfer pricing" issues. If so, I'd like to hear your thoughts about whether companies with multinational operations are paying US taxes at a level consistent with their actual US operations.

Surprise me.