Is Kyle Moore an effective 3-4 linebacker?

I thought Moore did a good job on creating pressure on passing downs. He would get too high on his outside rush technique and had a tendency to be ridden out of the play or give up contain on the edge. I think those aspects of his game are correctable with the right coaching.

He cannot be a 3-4 DE. Maybe an OLB, but can he be taught to set the edge? Seriously. I don't know if this is a technique or if some do and some don't.

Moore flashed a bit last year, but teams ran all over him. He's here. You may as well look at him.

No. He's one dimensional. He can rush the passer, but he's not elite at that. He's not a good run defender no matter if he's at DE or LB. And, as far as dropping back into pass coverage as a 3-4 type? It's not something he's done before so you don't know how he's gonna be. Bottom line... 1) an average pass rusher, 2) below avg. run defenser, 3) questionable in pass coverage. If the Bills want to get better they gotta go get better players. Kyle is not better players... but might be OK to keep around for training camp.

We'll see if he can play 3-4 OLB in training camp but I doubt it. I thought he was a pretty effective 4-3 DE and young. He has pretty good potential to become a solid rotational player, just not for a 3-4 defense IMO. Maybe they'll move Moats back to OLB in the Bills Musical Chairs defense.

Well being that we have two defensive ends left on the roster (excluding him and Carrington who's a 43 DT) I don't see why a guy as good as a pass rusher as him wouldnt be needed.

Carrinington is 6'5 and 305. That is prototypical 3-4 DE size. He seemed to play very good last year. When Pettine was hired I got to thinking as to who might line up where and I could see him starting opposite of Mario. Obviously, Dareus and Kyle figure in somehow but neither is, or will be, a good 2 or 3 down NT.

But, for sure, Carrington is a 3-4 DE and that is exactly what Buddy drafted him for when Chan was hired and announced the switch to 3-4. Troup was drafted to be the NT... the 3-4 never panned out... and neither did Troup. But, I don't believe Carrington has ever been inactive for a game is his 3 years.

Another thought...Carrington was a starting olb in Edwards 3-4 defense in 2011. I used to call it the 5-2 because with the 3 down linemen being Darius, Heard, Edwards up front and Kelsay & Carrington outside.

Pettine will figure out how to get the Max out of Carrington.

Edited by Dr. Trooth

He cannot be a 3-4 DE. Maybe an OLB, but can he be taught to set the edge? Seriously. I don't know if this is a technique or if some do and some don't.

Moore flashed a bit last year, but teams ran all over him. He's here. You may as well look at him.

I think he is free agent J.

He is best suited to pass rush at this point. Can he get coached up to be better at that ? Well if they sign him MW knows a little about that and i would hope has already been mentoring him last season.

He has some burst and improved with more playing time i thought. he's coachable.

i vote we keep him and develop his run defense and setting edge. could happen.

#3/4 outside backer ? not sure if he will fit up.

Well being that we have two defensive ends left on the roster (excluding him and Carrington who's a 43 DT) I don't see why a guy as good as a pass rusher as him wouldnt be needed.

fixed

Dr. Tooth nailed it. Carrington and Troupe may decide Nix's legacy. They have already cut David Neslon due to his injury but Troupe is still on the roster. Does that mean anything? I don't know. But if they do plan to play more 3-4 then Dareus should be a beast at one DE spot and Carrington will get his shot at the other. It takes time for DL guys to develop. There will be plenty of four man fronts with Mario playing DE and Darues/Williams at DT. Hopefully Troupe and Williams can have a nice rotation at NT. Ideally Troupe can keep Williams fresh enough so that he can still generate a good pass rush from the DT spot in a 4-3. Switching back to the 3-4 may be the best thing for this roster. M. Williams can play OLB. The 3-4 only leaves holes at ILB and OLB. If they stay in a 4-3 base I am not sure there is a starting LB on the roster. Sheppard is adequate at ILB in the 3-4 but he is simply too small to play a 4-3 MLB.