Nix Nixing Nix - are we in full rebuilding mode?

I think the reason we've let so many guys go (especially the receivers) is the new regime does not want those players. Marrone has an idea how to build a winner, and he's going to get rid of players who don't fit his scheme. The only reason we felt attachment to those players recently cut is that they were Buffalo Bills. Fitzpatrick had to throw to somebody, and those guys happened to be the ones in front of him.

Speaking of Fitz, I believe he will be gone before his $3m cash bonus hits next week. Why hand a guy that pile of cash if he isn't your long term solution? Unless he tears up his deal and agrees to stay on the cheap, he's gone.

I hope they sign Levitre, but apparently the new coach must not love him or it would already be done.

If you're gonna hire a new coach, you have to give him major input into the construction (or deconstruction) of his team.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have to do some research(which I don't want to do).....but I'd say that your 25% is largely comprised of backups, below average starters & situational players.

I really don't know your position on this topic. I simply just commenting to the fact that if we're taking about losing 25% of player that are mostly comprised of backups and situational players, then we are right on track with that fact.

McGee- hasn't played in more than a handful of games a year for the past 4 or so years.

Kelsey- has been horrible as a starter at both OLB and DE and he's been removed from the starting position and placed as a backup.

Jones- Our 2nd WR but as everyone has already said, he should never have been that.

Nelson- only one I really have a problem with.

Barnett- old, and getting over the hill fast. Was a starter and I wouldn't have minded keeping him, but I sure don't mind losing him.

Wilson- see Barnett.

Merriman- see Barnett and Wilson, also see former steroid usage and injuries causing major health problems.

Did I miss anyone else important?

I see this less as an outright rebuild & more as an overhaul of some positions.

With a new staff, and new philosophies, you're going to have to make some roster modifications, but we've still got a solid nucleus of relatively young talent. Sure we could use another DE or DB, but our D-line & secondary are hardly weaknesses. On offense we need a QB & another WR (could use a TE) but we've got a pretty decent OL, an elite RB, and a #1 WR.

Injury (Chandler), age (Barnett, Wilson, Kelsay), and disappointing performances (A. Williams, Sheppard) have taken their toll, but how many of those guys were foundational players you build around? Most were role players, stop-gaps, or unproven prospects, none of which should be too terribly difficult to replace.

I really don't know your position on this topic. I simply just commenting to the fact that if we're taking about losing 25% of player that are mostly comprised of backups and situational players, then we are right on track with that fact.....

I'm a little confused....I wasn't responding to your post.

Doesn't matter. See my response to Sisyphean Bills to sum me up on this one.

I have no disagreement with what you just posted. All good. :thumbsup:

Random thoughts while reading all these interesting posts:

I'm wondering if Zebrie Sanders might have been drafted with the idea of replacing Levitre.

I'm wondering if Troupe will get healthy and become a player.

We need linebackers. I think that Nigel Bradham has a lot of raw talent, and he hits like a freight train. Kelvin Sheppard, your time is now. Obviously they see Scott as part of the plan. Who else is going to chip in?

I'm wondering if different coaching might improve Aaron Williams. At the time he was drafted, this was thought of as a good pick. He has skills. Perhaps a good pass rush will have an impact on the coverage squad.

Good that Kelsay hung them up. His ability to inspire did not do much to help that defense last year. Worst defense ever, all things considered. Pettine will definitely help.

If they do not resign Levitre, I hope they have some big plans to make use of the money they are saving. If they cut Fitz, which I think is all but done, and don't sign Levitre, they will have a lot of dough to spend. Let's hope they spend it wisely.

I should note that we totally gave away 3 games last year, or we may have finished 9-7, just out of the playoffs, and we would still have Chan Gailey as coach. Think about that.

Some of you are missing the point, which might be my fault.

I'm not saying that these players shouldn't be replaced.

I'm saying that, a year ago at this time, Nix clearly did not anticipate having to replace all of these players during the 2013 offseason.

If he had, he would've drafted differently and approached free agency differently (unless he's truly a madman).

The fact that most of these guys were supposed to be counted on heading into last season (possibly excluding Merriman), and the fact that there are no ready replacements on the roster for any of them, suggests that at the end of the 2012 season, OBD re-evaluated its 2012 preseason evaluations and decided that many of them were wrong.

Considering the same evaluators are in place (save a new coaching staff, which may or may not answer the question), it's just somewhat surprising to me. I can't think of many examples of a front office deciding within a year that it was wrong about practically everything. In most of those instances, someone gets fired. Here, no one has gotten fired.

That was my point.

Some of you are missing the point, which might be my fault.

I'm not saying that these players shouldn't be replaced.

I'm saying that, a year ago at this time, Nix clearly did not anticipate having to replace all of these players during the 2013 offseason.

If he had, he would've drafted differently and approached free agency differently (unless he's truly a madman).

The fact that most of these guys were supposed to be counted on heading into last season (possibly excluding Merriman), and the fact that there are no ready replacements on the roster for any of them, suggests that at the end of the 2012 season, OBD re-evaluated its 2012 preseason evaluations and decided that many of them were wrong.

Considering the same evaluators are in place (save a new coaching staff, which may or may not answer the question), it's just somewhat surprising to me. I can't think of many examples of a front office deciding within a year that it was wrong about practically everything. In most of those instances, someone gets fired. Here, no one has gotten fired.

That was my point.

Does a GM who thinks he's got a team on the verge of success, i.e. the playoffs in Buffalo, spend the kind of money Buddy did last year? I highly doubt it. After all, with clearly a poor roster in 2010, Nix avoided the big UFA's and stuck to lower cost options.

I don't expect significant free agent spending, probably more close to what 2010 was when they signed Dwan Edwards, Andra Davis, and (gasp) Cornell Green.

If Buddy has a plan it's either taking longer than he expected or it's just a very poor one. The latter seems more likely.

Edited by BillsVet

Rebuilding mode? If your defense was as bad as it was the past 2 seasons you blow iit up and start over. Keep the guys that fit the defense and dump the rest. Offense is not in a rebuild mode. Need a better QB and a WR, I think they are goiing to give Graham and Easley opportunity to show that they can start. The draft will be defense heavy (DE, LB and DB). Look to Free Agency to fill in hole at pass catching TE and WR depth.

I'm not really understanding the conversation here.

A lot of people here have quoted Marrone as saying that Buddy's making the decisions as if he's making decisions in a bubble with no input from the coaching staff.

Think about that.

Really you'd have to be naive or a bit foggy to think that a coaching staff or at least the head coach and coordinators didn't have a lot of input as to the type and identity of the players the team targets in free agency and the draft. I mean the team is actually trying to succeed here right?

You have a resource (pro football coaches) who have some knowledge and ability to evaluate players, even in passing.

You have new schemes on both offense and defense.

You have a new coaching staff that want players who will fit the things that they want to do. Buddy, the college and pro scouts have met with the coaches and evaluated the players that were on the roster in 2012.

Why are the Bills getting rid of players? Because they either were at the end of their careers (Merriman, McGee, Barnett) or they were poor fits for the new coaching staff (Nelson, Jones, Wilson) or some combination of the two.

Not understanding why this roster turnover seems strange to people.