Chance Warmack - OG - Alabama

Smoke-E

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I wasn't really clear. My question was directed at your comment that Warmack has "as high a floor as any guard I've seen." I'm not trying to pick on you or anything, I'm just not sure how anyone can really say that about a college guard. It would seem to be hard to say that there is something drastically different between Warmack this year and DeCastro last year.

It's not hard to say at all. The difference between the two is the same as the difference between Luck and Weeden.

GO BILLS!!!

With our first pick, a big investment in my mind, I would like a guy who will be a Bill forever. As our current FO is showing us now, us drafting a OG in the first wouldn't fullfil this criteria. If Levitre is commanding 8 million a year, imagine our FO's response towards a perennial All-Pro guard.

With our first pick, a big investment in my mind, I would like a guy who will be a Bill forever. As our current FO is showing us now, us drafting a OG in the first wouldn't fullfil this criteria. If Levitre is commanding 8 million a year, imagine our FO's response towards a perennial All-Pro guard.

An excellent point. If it isn't worthwhile to pay Levitre $8 million a year, due in large part to the lack of importance of the LG position, it isn't worthwhile to use the 8th overall pick on Levitre's replacement.

Um, what are your basing that on?

Having watched both play most of their college careers, discussions with some people I trust, and knowing that Warmack has one of the highest player grades, regardless of position, in a while.

DeCastro was a good prospect coming out of college. But nobody confused him with being the best player in the draft. Warmack very well may be.

GO BILLS!!!

But nobody confused him with being the best player in the draft. Warmack very well may be.

To be fair, if Luck and RG3 were being drafted this year, nobody would be calling Warmack the best player in the draft either.

To be fair, if Luck and RG3 were being drafted this year, nobody would be calling Warmack the best player in the draft either.

Everybody seems to have revisionist memory in regards to how RG3 was typically viewed prior to the draft.

Luck was graded across the board as the best prospect.

RG3 was generally graded as a top prospect.....but not an elite one.....and it was only due to him being a QB that he was selected in amongst the elite prospects.

ProFootballWeekly.....though not the be-all and end-all of grading, had RG3 at a 6.7(6th best in draft). Luck was graded at 8.5(virtually off the charts).

Though their 2013 grades are not released yet, I get the distinct impression.....based upon all the experts opinions....that on their scale, Warmack will be graded at least a 7.5.

Actually, the only consensus would be Luck. Warmack would grade higher than RG3 on a lot of scouts' evals. But we all know it's an inexact science at best and it's anything but objective. Warmack is just a rare player whose talent jumps off the screen. Few players dominate their opponents like him, especially against the kind of competition he faced in the SEC the last three seasons.

Again, not saying we should take him at 8. It's just that based on pure football playing ability, regardless of position, he's one of the best players to come out of college in years.

GO BILLS!!!

Everybody seems to have revisionist memory in regards to how RG3 was typically viewed prior to the draft.

Luck was graded across the board as the best prospect.

RG3 was generally graded as a top prospect.....but not an elite one.....and it was only due to him being a QB that he was selected in amongst the elite prospects.

ProFootballWeekly.....though not the be-all and end-all of grading, had RG3 at a 6.7(6th best in draft). Luck was graded at 8.5(virtually off the charts).

Though their 2013 grades are not released yet, I get the distinct impression.....based upon all the experts opinions....that on their scale, Warmack will be graded at least a 7.5.

Kiper, McShay, NFL.com (Gil Brandt), and more than I care to lookup had RG3 graded as elite (most #2) right before the draft. No, not mock drafts - overall talent rankings i.e. the Big Board, The Top 32, etc.

Actually, the only consensus would be Luck. Warmack would grade higher than RG3 on a lot of scouts' evals. But we all know it's an inexact science at best and it's anything but objective. Warmack is just a rare player whose talent jumps off the screen. Few players dominate their opponents like him, especially against the kind of competition he faced in the SEC the last three seasons.

Again, not saying we should take him at 8. It's just that based on pure football playing ability, regardless of position, he's one of the best players to come out of college in years.

GO BILLS!!!

Well my point still stands. I'm pretty sure we had this conversation in another thread, so we'll revisit the thread at the end of the season after Warmack has faded into mediocrity. This way I can reference it in 2014 when the next annual Hall of Fame guard declares.

Kiper, McShay, NFL.com (Gil Brandt), and more than I care to lookup had RG3 graded as elite (most #2) right before the draft. No, not mock drafts - overall talent rankings i.e. the Big Board, The Top 32, etc.

Well my point still stands. I'm pretty sure we had this conversation in another thread, so we'll revisit the thread at the end of the season after Warmack has faded into mediocrity. This way I can reference it in 2014 when the next annual Hall of Fame guard declares.

Predictions aside (and I predict he'll be a great one), let's just stick to the discussion about his potential coming out of college. I've personally seen two evals that have him over 8.0. That's rarified air for any player and both rank higher than the same scouts' rankings for RG3 last year.

Yes, every year someone is touted as the greatest whatever since whoever came out years ago. That's hype. I'm talking strictly about a subjective talent evaluation and DeCastro didn't come close to the grades Warmack has across the board. There's just no comparison. Like Weeden vs. Luck. Might there be a good OLman who gets hyped up next year? You can bet on it. But I'll lay 10 to 1 that he won't garner the same player grades that Warmack is earning this year. He's a rare kind of player that doesn't come along every year. That shouldn't be confused with the hype that does.

GO BILLS!!!

• 3 weeks later...

no thanks. he'll be good, but an OG in the top 10? you can get plenty of starting-caliber Guards and Centers in the second, third, and even fourth rounds.

If this were true, why did Tennessee give Levitre the 50 million contract. Why did Minnesota give Seattle that poison pill contract, then make him the highest paid O-lineman in the NFL? I've heard this opinion expressed here before. I think it is highly uninformed.

An excellent point. If it isn't worthwhile to pay Levitre $8 million a year, due in large part to the lack of importance of the LG position, it isn't worthwhile to use the 8th overall pick on Levitre's replacement.

It's the only point that matters.

The Bills would have to be complete morons to draft a guard at #8 who they're going to lose a few years from now when they don't want to give him 50millon dollars, and to do so only a couple months after they just lost a highly drafted guard who they didn't want to pay 50million for would approach the unassailable heights of stupidity.

From a personal standpoint, it would probably be my last straw for supporting this team.

If this were true, why did Tennessee give Levitre the 50 million contract. ... I've heard this opinion expressed here before. I think it is highly uninformed.

Let's see how having 50 million tied up in a guard actually works out for the Titans before we decide whether that opinion is informed.

I couldn't think of a worse pick than an offensive lineman at 8 or even 41. They don't matter enough, especially for a team that has nothing at QB and one NFL caliber WR. If they take Warmack or Johnson or even Fisher just kneel because it's a quit move. Don't sell anything to the fans except the hope that you'll be bad enough to pick Manziel or Bridgewater.

It's the only point that matters.

The Bills would have to be complete morons to draft a guard at #8 who they're going to lose a few years from now when they don't want to give him 50millon dollars, and to do so only a couple months after they just lost a highly drafted guard who they didn't want to pay 50million for would approach the unassailable heights of stupidity.

From a personal standpoint, it would probably be my last straw for supporting this team.

Let's see how having 50 million tied up in a guard actually works out for the Titans before we decide whether that opinion is informed.

Thank You...Agree 100% with this take...If the Bills were not willing to pay Levitre, why in the world would they Draft an OG in the Top 10?

Footnote...There were plenty of "experts" who felt David Decastro was the top rated player after Luck and RGIII last year...He went #24 overall... B-)

Warmack. Fisher. Johnson. Geno Smith. Jordan. Arguments can be had all day for every prospect being mentioned and I wouldn't be upset with any of them. But what I don't want is ANY player who lines up 20 yards from the ball. No CBs. No WRs. No Safeties. The Bills front 7 needs serious attention and they have no QB. Now, with Levitre going away, they need a LG and a RT. Whomever has the best chance to fill one of those positions in the best possible way is who I want at 8. Please, for once, a Rookie of the Year. A Pro Bowler. A HOFer.

The last time the Bills drafted a Guard in the first round he set up shop in the Pro Bowl for a lot of years.