What I would do with the Offseason 2013

missthe kgun

I know some of you won't agree with my line of thinking, but this is my opinion...

1.First off, I am getting rid of Fitz. If I can get a 6th rd pick for him, I do that. If not, I flat out cut him.

2.Second, With the way Byrd Makes plays, I pay him like a TOP Safety in this league No matter what.

3.Make my best effort to keep Levitre, unless he just does not want to be a bill. and hill take less money elsewhere. Then I try a sign and trade before I just let him walk. I figure out if he will help us help him get to where he does want to be and I honor his request and get myself at least a 2nd rd pick. out of this, early 3rd at the worst.

4.Cut Kelsay, too rich for my blood

5.Based on the way that Carrington came along last year, and with his freakish body type adding a huge upside...I trade Kyle Williams, He's on the wrong side of 30 and I would take a 3rd this year and a first next year or vice versa...I like Kyle, but he is limited in what he does.

6.Bring back Merriman to play a role in Pettines Defense, he has Attitude, and he loves Buffalo.

7.Bring in a veteran QB like VY... He made plays last preseason and I don't care if he didn't know the whole playbook. He mad more plays than Fitz with the limited amount of plays he did know...And he would come a whole lot Cheaper.

8.Get one of these FA wideouts. Jennings for the right price, Collie if he can pass the physical, Mike Wallace, Dwayne Bowe or somebody...maybe Jumping Jerome Simpson.

9.Sign Chris Cooley or Fred Davis, or maybe even Dallas Clark.

10.Sign Rey Malaluaga or however you spell it

11.Sign Laron Landry

12.Now to the draft...If Geno is there at 8, Take him, but I don't think he will be, So I try to trade back, If there are no suitors for that spot, I draft LT Eric Fisher and slide either Glenn or Hairston to Levitres spot, be cause we made a sign and trade happen.

13.Rd2 Justin Hunter WR-Tennessee

14.RD2 from the Levitre trade CB Desmond Trufant-Washington

15.Rd 3 QB EJ manuel-FSU

16.RD 3 from Kyle Williams trade WR Connor Vernon-Duke

17.Rd 4 Jamie Collins-Southern Miss.

18...I have nothing else from here, just find guys who love the game and would give a kidney to play in this league...

Sign & trades are an NBA only idea, don't think they are legal in the NFL.

I think if we like Levitre & can sign Byrd why not franchise Levitre?

Agree with cutting Kelsay & Fitz now. As for your draft I dunno that EJ will last to the 3rd round. I'd prefer Glennon with our 1st round pick.

Bowe & Jennings will sign with contenders with proven QBs unless we over pay like we did with Mario.

Drafting Ogletree LB from Georgia is another possibility.

Sign & trades are an NBA only idea, don't think they are legal in the NFL.

I think if we like Levitre & can sign Byrd why not franchise Levitre?

Agree with cutting Kelsay & Fitz now. As for your draft I dunno that EJ will last to the 3rd round. I'd prefer Glennon with our 1st round pick.

Bowe & Jennings will sign with contenders with proven QBs unless we over pay like we did with Mario.

Drafting Ogletree LB from Georgia is another possibility.

I would not over pay for any of them...I am from Virginia, and I remember Glennon from High school...He is not worth that pick at all bro. If we could Sign Byrd before Levitre walks, then I would definately Franchise Him...The I would Draft Either Ogletree at 8 or Dion Jordan

I love you guys who hate Fitz so much you'll get rid of him in a heartbeat but then want to sign a guy like VY who isn't even in the league. There's a reason the guy isn't in the league - he's not a good QB. If Fitz isn't on the Bills next year I'll guarantee he's at least on an NFLroster.

I love you guys who hate Fitz so much you'll get rid of him in a heartbeat but then want to sign a guy like VY who isn't even in the league. There's a reason the guy isn't in the league - he's not a good QB. If Fitz isn't on the Bills next year I'll guarantee he's at least on an NFLroster.

So it makes sense to cut Fitz then.....

VY is not Warrenn Moon or Jim Kelly, but he has a better record than Fitz in this league and would make a lot less money than what Fitz is getting...Starter money + 3rd string talent= Franchise crippler!

You need willing partners for trades, and you would never, ever, even in Madden, find one for this one:

5.Based on the way that Carrington came along last year, and with his freakish body type adding a huge upside...I trade Kyle Williams, He's on the wrong side of 30 and I would take a 3rd this year and a first next year or vice versa...I like Kyle, but he is limited in what he does.

Potential partners would see the same things the Bills see - just coming off of two foot surgeries, over 30. You'd be lucky to get a 5th rounder for him. He is worth more to the Bills than to anybody else at this point.

No picks are coming back for Fitz, either. He's cut and signed to a contract of maybe double vet-minimum somewhere else, or he stays with the Bills. The book is out on him and I doubt any team believes he is a long-term starter at the position.

I know some of you won't agree with my line of thinking, but this is my opinion...

1.First off, I am getting rid of Fitz. If I can get a 6th rd pick for him, I do that. If not, I flat out cut him.

2.Second, With the way Byrd Makes plays, I pay him like a TOP Safety in this league No matter what.

3.Make my best effort to keep Levitre, unless he just does not want to be a bill. and hill take less money elsewhere. Then I try a sign and trade before I just let him walk. I figure out if he will help us help him get to where he does want to be and I honor his request and get myself at least a 2nd rd pick. out of this, early 3rd at the worst.

4.Cut Kelsay, too rich for my blood

6.Bring back Merriman to play a role in Pettines Defense, he has Attitude, and he loves Buffalo.

7.Bring in a veteran QB like VY... He made plays last preseason and I don't care if he didn't know the whole playbook. He mad more plays than Fitz with the limited amount of plays he did know...And he would come a whole lot Cheaper.

8.Get one of these FA wideouts. Jennings for the right price, Collie if he can pass the physical, Mike Wallace, Dwayne Bowe or somebody...maybe Jumping Jerome Simpson.

9.Sign Chris Cooley or Fred Davis, or maybe even Dallas Clark.

10.Sign Rey Malaluaga or however you spell it

11.Sign Laron Landry

12.Now to the draft...If Geno is there at 8, Take him, but I don't think he will be, So I try to trade back, If there are no suitors for that spot, I draft LT Eric Fisher and slide either Glenn or Hairston to Levitres spot, be cause we made a sign and trade happen.

13.Rd2 Justin Hunter WR-Tennessee

14.RD2 from the Levitre trade CB Desmond Trufant-Washington

15.Rd 3 QB EJ manuel-FSU

16.RD 3 from Kyle Williams trade WR Connor Vernon-Duke

17.Rd 4 Jamie Collins-Southern Miss.

18...I have nothing else from here, just find guys who love the game and would give a kidney to play in this league...

Wow! I agree with just about everything...Great job! A few things...

The only way The Bills can get a pick for Levitre would be to tag him I believe...There are no sign and trades in the NFL due to the signing bonuses mainly...And I love, love, love the idea of trying to get something for KW now...Never thought of it to be honest...And I absolutely love that idea...

I also agree with the Draft strategy...Take Geno at #8 if he's there...Try to move back and collect picks otherwise...If the Bills don't get Geno the only QB I really like after him is EJ Manual as a developmental prospect...I also thin Bray has huge upside, but I'm worried that he's Cutler times 100 between the ears...And I want none of that...

I do believe Levitre will give the Bills a bit of a Home Town discount to come back...Just unsure whether or not it will be enough...

I don't think the Bills will have enough cash for all the UFA's you listed...But they would all be good additions...I think Landry is going to be their main target because he wont break the bank...And they almost have to sign at least one Vet WR and LB...I'm just not sure how much they'll be able to afford after Byrd get his...

Definitely don't want VY back again...I'd rather Draft 2 Rookies and let them develop under Marrone and Hackett...Manuel early and someone with upside late...

Overall though I like your thinking on this...I already have more confidence in you than I do in Buddy...But to be perfectly honest that's not really saying much... ;)

Edited by KOKBILLS

I love your plan and appreciate the thought that went into it. I agree with some of your thoughts, disagree with some and think some are wishful thinking

1. Totally agree with getting rid of Fitz now.

2.Totally agree with keeping Byrd. If they cannot sign him, tag him

3. I think Levitre will walk. Would love to see him stay, but I think he will end up taking top dollar somewhere else. The sign and trade thing is a pipe dream.

4. Cutting Kelsay would be fine with me. I would also be fine with restructuring his deal. If he takes a cut, he stays. If not he goes. He's a smart, versatile player who could help in the new defense but not at his current salary

5. I would not trade our best defensive lineman

6.Agree. Would love to see Merriman back

7. NO to VY. If Fitz goes, bring in a guy like Matt Moore or Jason Campbell to compete with T Jax and our rookie QB

8. I expect the Bills to sign a UFA WR. Probably not a top guy but someone like the lesser ones you mentioned (Collie, Siimpson, or a vet that gets cut: Lloyd, Boldin, etc)

9. LOVE this idea. We need another good TE

10. YES. We need LB

11. Would love to see Landry paired with Byrd, but I don't see the Bills paying 2 safeties $6m each. If Byrd stays, we will not be in on Landry. Eric Smith from NYJ will be a Bill.

12. Would love the get Geno but I think he will be gone. I would expect Fisher to be gone as well. I would target Geno or Barkley. If they are gone I'd be happy with the best WR or LB or a trade down for extra picks.

13. Hunter would be a good pick up but I think he will be gone

14. Moot point. We will not trade Levitre

15. I think we will have a QB before Rd3 and I think Manuel will be long gone before Rd3. I'd be happy with Manuel in Rd2 if we don't get a QB in Rd1

16. Another Moot point. I would not trade Williams

17. Never heard of him

18. I love this: "find guys who love the game and would give a kidney to play in this league... "

Overall, nice job. If you can pull off all of this stuff, you are hired. Lol.

1) QB - Id likely let Fitz walk. Sign Matt Moore, just in case you dont get your guy in the draft. Jackson and Moore can battle it out. Id be willing to give a decent price to make sure we get our guy though, and wouldnt mind a qb room with Rookie, moore, and jackson for the year.

2) id pay byrd with the best of them. just get it done. the fact that its so quiet right now is hopefully a good sign (good progress, and no one wants to rock the boat too much).

3) Levitre - id tag him, unless we have someone targeted that we feel safe that we will get in FA that fits the scheme better at a better value. dont like a downgrade here, but we dont know all the details behind the scenes (asking price, fit to plan, etc...)

4) kelsay does have to get cheaper. in this role im choosing between merriman and kelsey, and i think that skill isnt a huge gap but merriman brings a fire that our dline could use and is cheaper. unless kelsey becomes a great value, let him go

5) KW is not worth what hed bring back. getting older, not cheap and a series of leg injuries mean hes worth more to us than the pick hed get

6) already covered

7) covered

8) i think we see 2 WRs added that will be recognized names - how that breaks down between draft and FA, we will see.

9) a second tier TE would be a welcome addition

10) in #8 i shouldve said 2 WRs and 2 LBs - mid range vets or early draft picks. i dont think we get RM, but hes a guy that is possible

11) i do not like landry at all. think hes a bit of a punk, is terrible in coverage and im waiting for his body to give out on him totally from the roids.

12) id be willing to move up for geno, and wouldnt mind barkley one bit if his shoulder checks out. keeping the line in tact (especially up the middle in the qbs face) is especially important if we are serious about developing a guy

13) i wish i saw more tennessee - that he was the #3 there before rogers got booted worries me. something just doesnt add up - going into the season did tennessee really have 3 prospects that if you wiped the off field issues with rogers out would amount to 3 of the best 5-6 options in the draft, plus a qb with "a plus arm talent?" it just seems off to me but i didnt watch enough to have any idea whats missing in the equation.

14) i dont see a tag and trade

15) i think we will have a qb by 41. in fact, id guess it wont be that long and if we pass at 8 we will have one in the teens-twenties.

im not going to get into late rounders - find some guys that fit whatever the plan is, and pull the trigger and hope for the best.

Best parts of your ideas:

1. Trade Kyle Williams - He doesn't fit. Prolly a 4th rounder. Maybe Denver

2. Sign Landry and Mauluga. They are not perfect, but they can play the run.

3. Draft Jamie Collins.

I think it's a good year to load up on 4th rounders if they can get them.

Just to clear something up for everyone, there is absolutely no chance we tag Levitre. For franchise tags for offensive lineman they are all lumped into on position of offensive line. Thus, in taking the top salaries for the position to determine the tag, it would be the avg salary of the top 10 left tackles. This would be absurdly overspending for a guard.

Just to clear something up for everyone, there is absolutely no chance we tag Levitre. For franchise tags for offensive lineman they are all lumped into on position of offensive line. Thus, in taking the top salaries for the position to determine the tag, it would be the avg salary of the top 10 left tackles. This would be absurdly overspending for a guard.

the ideal would be tag to buy time to negotiate. especially since we arent up against a cap crunch. ideally he would never play under that tag, and if need be perhaps a non-exclusive tag and we could work out some sort of compensation if he wanted to leave.

as appealing as 10m for one season is, 8m per year with a nice big guarantee and seeing 15m+ in year one between salary and bonus is motivation for him to sign long term.

Edited by NoSaint

Trading Levitre will not happen as all a smart GM would do is wait for the FA period to open and he is gone. Best bet is to sign him. If he doesn't want to stay in Buffalo, then let him walk, use the money to pay Byrd what he wants. If Byrd doesn't want to stay in Buffalo, then tag him.

fixed

Edited by mabden

If fitz is on a roster next year if will be holding a clipboard for vet minimum. The Kyle Williams trade is interesting. Not sure he fits well in a pettine defense. This draft is rich with nose tackes and defensive ends. If I could get a 3 and 4 I probably would trade him

How do you get rid of Fritz? He has a garunteed contract. You can not cut him and bring him back for vet min. They still have to pay him.Plus the Bills will end up with about 10 million in dead cap money. He may not be starting but he will be here next season. KW will not get you a 1st and a third. No one will do a sign and trade for Andy L. Why would Andy do it. If he signed with the Bills, he would want to stay. Because he is a FA he could sign anywhere he wants.

How do you get rid of Fritz? He has a garunteed contract. You can not cut him and bring him back for vet min. They still have to pay him.Plus the Bills will end up with about 10 million in dead cap money. He may not be starting but he will be here next season. KW will not get you a 1st and a third. No one will do a sign and trade for Andy L. Why would Andy do it. If he signed with the Bills, he would want to stay. Because he is a FA he could sign anywhere he wants.

The Bills have a few options with Fitz

1.) Keep him and pay him $3m in roster bonus and around $4.125m in salary for 2013. Salary cap $10.5m

2.) Cut him. Save 500k on the cap (still have $10m in dead money) save $7.125m in actual dollars

3.) Restructure his contract. Actual saving depend on the restructure. He could simply agree to a salary reduction or they could do a completely new contract. Savings would depend on what is done.

4.) Cut him and them re-sign him at a lower salary. (still would have $10m in dead money) but the actual dollars spent would be reduced

I think he gets cut and is gone

I love your plan and appreciate the thought that went into it. I agree with some of your thoughts, disagree with some and think some are wishful thinking

1. Totally agree with getting rid of Fitz now.

2.Totally agree with keeping Byrd. If they cannot sign him, tag him

3. I think Levitre will walk. Would love to see him stay, but I think he will end up taking top dollar somewhere else. The sign and trade thing is a pipe dream.

4. Cutting Kelsay would be fine with me. I would also be fine with restructuring his deal. If he takes a cut, he stays. If not he goes. He's a smart, versatile player who could help in the new defense but not at his current salary

5. I would not trade our best defensive lineman

6.Agree. Would love to see Merriman back

7. NO to VY. If Fitz goes, bring in a guy like Matt Moore or Jason Campbell to compete with T Jax and our rookie QB

8. I expect the Bills to sign a UFA WR. Probably not a top guy but someone like the lesser ones you mentioned (Collie, Siimpson, or a vet that gets cut: Lloyd, Boldin, etc)

9. LOVE this idea. We need another good TE

10. YES. We need LB

11. Would love to see Landry paired with Byrd, but I don't see the Bills paying 2 safeties $6m each. If Byrd stays, we will not be in on Landry. Eric Smith from NYJ will be a Bill.

12. Would love the get Geno but I think he will be gone. I would expect Fisher to be gone as well. I would target Geno or Barkley. If they are gone I'd be happy with the best WR or LB or a trade down for extra picks.

13. Hunter would be a good pick up but I think he will be gone

14. Moot point. We will not trade Levitre

15. I think we will have a QB before Rd3 and I think Manuel will be long gone before Rd3. I'd be happy with Manuel in Rd2 if we don't get a QB in Rd1

16. Another Moot point. I would not trade Williams

17. Never heard of him

18. I love this: "find guys who love the game and would give a kidney to play in this league... "

Overall, nice job. If you can pull off all of this stuff, you are hired. Lol.

Collins is raw, but he is an athletic freak and could fit well in a blitz heavy scheme like Pettine is known to run.

Thanks for your feed back...I like like KW, but he has bad feet, and may not fit the new scheme, I would tak a 5th rd pick for him, if he is not gonna fit in.

Best parts of your ideas:

1. Trade Kyle Williams - He doesn't fit. Prolly a 4th rounder. Maybe Denver

2. Sign Landry and Mauluga. They are not perfect, but they can play the run.

3. Draft Jamie Collins.

I think it's a good year to load up on 4th rounders if they can get them.

Thanks JPS, I think loading up on picks is a very smart thing to do most years, you can take chances on guys when you have extra picks. Guys like Burfict last year...Look at how that worked out for the Bengals...

1) QB - Id likely let Fitz walk. Sign Matt Moore, just in case you dont get your guy in the draft. Jackson and Moore can battle it out. Id be willing to give a decent price to make sure we get our guy though, and wouldnt mind a qb room with Rookie, moore, and jackson for the year.

2) id pay byrd with the best of them. just get it done. the fact that its so quiet right now is hopefully a good sign (good progress, and no one wants to rock the boat too much).

3) Levitre - id tag him, unless we have someone targeted that we feel safe that we will get in FA that fits the scheme better at a better value. dont like a downgrade here, but we dont know all the details behind the scenes (asking price, fit to plan, etc...)

4) kelsay does have to get cheaper. in this role im choosing between merriman and kelsey, and i think that skill isnt a huge gap but merriman brings a fire that our dline could use and is cheaper. unless kelsey becomes a great value, let him go

5) KW is not worth what hed bring back. getting older, not cheap and a series of leg injuries mean hes worth more to us than the pick hed get

6) already covered

7) covered

8) i think we see 2 WRs added that will be recognized names - how that breaks down between draft and FA, we will see.

9) a second tier TE would be a welcome addition

10) in #8 i shouldve said 2 WRs and 2 LBs - mid range vets or early draft picks. i dont think we get RM, but hes a guy that is possible

11) i do not like landry at all. think hes a bit of a punk, is terrible in coverage and im waiting for his body to give out on him totally from the roids.

12) id be willing to move up for geno, and wouldnt mind barkley one bit if his shoulder checks out. keeping the line in tact (especially up the middle in the qbs face) is especially important if we are serious about developing a guy

13) i wish i saw more tennessee - that he was the #3 there before rogers got booted worries me. something just doesnt add up - going into the season did tennessee really have 3 prospects that if you wiped the off field issues with rogers out would amount to 3 of the best 5-6 options in the draft, plus a qb with "a plus arm talent?" it just seems off to me but i didnt watch enough to have any idea whats missing in the equation.

14) i dont see a tag and trade

15) i think we will have a qb by 41. in fact, id guess it wont be that long and if we pass at 8 we will have one in the teens-twenties.

im not going to get into late rounders - find some guys that fit whatever the plan is, and pull the trigger and hope for the best.

Hunter was coming off a knee injury which is why he wasn't on the radar early on, but the kid is ope when he's not open like Buddy said.