How PPP defines "rich"

What's PPP's definition of "rich"  

27 members have voted

1. 1. In your opinion, what constitutes being "rich" in America? (Gross income)

• $500,000+ per year
    • $250,000+ per year
    • $150,000+ per year
    • $100,000+ per year
    • $75,000+ per year
    • $50,000+ per year

i suppose....in observing many people over many years i've come to the conclusion that wealth and happiness aren't directly correlated. plenty of examples of unhappy wealthy people in pop culture. conversely, some with little or no wealth are very happy. it does, however, seem that being mean and spiteful is correlated with unhappiness, in my experience. whether that's cause or effect, i don't know. probably both.

We have similar jobs in that we both observe many people on a daily basis. I too have found no correlation betwen wealth, happiness, or for that matter, their opposites. Rather, the only truth seems to be that there are people who know their limitations and those that do not. Those that set their own expectations, realistically, and those who let other people do that. And, those that recognize that their current life outcomes are a product of their choices and those that either cannot or will not.

The only correlation I have found is that the former is almost always happier than the latter.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have similar jobs in that we both observe many people on a daily basis. I too have found no correlation betwen wealth, happiness, or for that matter, their opposites. Rather, the only truth seems to be that there are people who know their limitations and those that do not. Those that set their own expectations, realistically, and those who let other people do that. And, those that recognize that their current life outcomes are a product of their choices and those that either cannot or will not.

The only correlation I have found is that the former is almost always happier than the latter.

Happiness is a choice. You choose to B word and complain about your life. Or you choose to be happy with what you have. Or you choose to improve what you can improve, which should bring you to a state to be happy with your life. But it is always a choice to be happy vs. a cranky phuck that should be put down.

Happiness is a choice. You choose to B word and complain about your life. Or you choose to be happy with what you have. Or you choose to improve what you can improve, which should bring you to a state to be happy with your life. But it is always a choice to be happy vs. a cranky phuck that should be put down.

Of course I agree, but, I add the expectations and limitations for a reason.

You can't choose to have a irritating mother who expects more from you than you can possibly deliver. Nor can you choose to have an equally irritating mother who expects nothing from you, and is patronizing whenever you succeed. You can say you "choose" to ignore it, but those things are emtional, and with us no matter what. The only choice you can make: not letting external sources set YOUR expectations.

Same thing is true for recognizing limitations. I am a firm believer that the current over-emphasis on self-esteem stems from a false correlation. In time, the research will be there to prove it's false. In fact that's already started to happen. But, it's so convenient for the left, that it's going to die very hard.

Here's wisdom from 3000 years ago, and we don't need to spend more tax dollars to research it, as it's already causally proven:

"Self control is the chief element in self respect, and self respect is the chief element in courage." -Thucydides

http://http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/76816-self-control-is-the-chief-element-in-self-respect-and-self-respect-is

The false corallary is that self-esteem, and not self-respect, is the fulcrum.

It's time we leveled the playing field for happiness. The government needs to impose some misery on those cheerful people and deem some additional rainbows and sunshine to the sad sacks.

It's just not fair that some people horde all the happiness.

Edited by KD in CT

Of course you'll get a confused look because you didn't ask for Malt Vinegar.

I specifically did not say malt vinegar, I am glad you commented on that.

No. Ask for that and you will get an even more confused look. Especially here in the midwest. Path of least resistance is just plain vinegar... Unless you go to some select fast food places (and even that is regional) like Culver's, A&W, or Long John Silvers...

Rich is when you have all you need, but and most of all a family that loves and cares for you...

Did that make any of you tingle?

But Seriously. I would say that if a person has more money than they know what to do with they are "rich". When it comes to "taxing the rich more" for me it's just making sure they are paying the same rate as the rest of us. There's no reason why I should be paying 19% of my income to Uncle Sam while some of the very rich are paying 15%. Some have argued for a flat tax rate. I think I could get behind that.

Damn, someone beat me to it... LOL

Oh, not this again. It's like you don't get what that 15% is for.

Rich is when you have all you need, but and most of all a family that loves and cares for you...

Did that make any of you tingle?

But Seriously. I would say that if a person has more money than they know what to do with they are "rich". When it comes to "taxing the rich more" for me it's just making sure they are paying the same rate as the rest of us. There's no reason why I should be paying 19% of my income to Uncle Sam while some of the very rich are paying 15%. Some have argued for a flat tax rate. I think I could get behind that.

Quit your job and live off of dividends and you'll pay 15% tax on your post tax dollars, which were already taxed as income, capital gains or dividends, too.

Quit your job and live off of dividends and you'll pay 15% tax on your post tax dollars, which were already taxed as income, capital gains or dividends, too.

That concept is just too far out there for willfully stupid people like Bigfat.

FAIR SHARE!

Ever notice how "fair share" only goes one way? That the rich have to be fair to the system and pay more to be "fair", yet somehow putting limits on a welfare queen (sorry, honey...if you can afford a 56" LED TV, you can afford milk and eggs) or asking a CSEA employee to kick in 1% toward benefits or telling an illegal immigrant they cant have the same access to public services a taxpayer does (free tuition for them but I gotta pay??!!??) is off limits.

How does that work, exactly?

Edited by RkFast

Ever notice how "fair share" only goes one way? That the rich have to be fair to the system and pay more to be "fair", yet somehow putting limits on a welfare queen (sorry, honey...if you can afford a 56" LED TV, you can afford milk and eggs) or asking a CSEA employee to kick in 1% toward benefits or telling an illegal immigrant they cant have the same access to public services a taxpayer does (free tuition for them but I gotta pay??!!??) is off limits.

Not to mention, how it is possible that tens of millions of people have a "fair share" of zero (or less)?

I think this is one of, if not the, best posts you've ever written on this board. Kudos.

It's called the democrat voter registration machine. You see, democrats can get elected on a platform of true fairness.

I think this is one of, if not the, best posts you've ever written on this board. Kudos.

Thanks. That's basically me...at work. :lol: I think I've done better ones, especially on the football board, which is the only place where I tend to be serious.

And, if I only did stuff like the above all the time...this entire activity would be no fun for me at all.

Thanks again, but rest assured, I will continue to also throw out absurdity...