We still have way too many holes

jahnyc

Yet they went 11-5 last year and made the playoffs. And aside from the "suck for Luck" season (which I contend was no accident) you have to go back to 2001 for a sub .500 season.

Yeah that certainly sounds like a team with less talent than a team that has been below .500 since 2004.

No.....they sound like a team that has had a future HOF QB behind center for over a decade.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not keeping Nelson tells me one thing....they have a plan via FA to fix that position!

It tells me nothing...They could simply think that the draft is WR loaded and will find their player. or May be they think they can rejuvenate Marcus Easley (whom Gailey never gave a chance at the WR position) and TJ Graham.

No.....they sound like a team that has had a future HOF QB behind center for over a decade.

and one that will have a potential HOF QB behind center for the next decade too.

and one that will have a potential HOF QB behind center for the next decade too.

Exactly. Manning is out and the Colts epically suck in the one season that assured them the ability to draft the second coming of Manning. And they now have their franchise QB for the foreseeable future. Meanwhile the Bills are giving Fitz the big contract. Well played Indy. In my opinion, the Bills organization has nothing over the Colts. From front office down through the players. Cream rises ot the top while the **** sinks to the bottom. Guess which the Bills are currently. Still hoping that changes but for now it's only a hope.

We go through this every year. We start with a bunch of holes immediately after the season, and we end up with more as we approach free agency and the draft. Sure, it is possible that the Bills will fill many of these holes before the start of the season, but the number of holes this year is really significant, and draft picks and few free agents will not be enough to fix this.

The reality is that the Bills have not been hitting on enough draft picks over the last three years.

We need to get a QB (draft?) , 2 WR's (Draft one and FA pickup), 2 LB's (Draft one and FA pickup), OG if we lose Levitre, and at least another CB and safety. It will be a very busy draft and FA off season. I would love to draft a LT as well, if nothing else for depth.Is Troupe coming back this year? we may need another DT as well.

It tells me nothing...They could simply think that the draft is WR loaded and will find their player. or May be they think they can rejuvenate Marcus Easley (whom Gailey never gave a chance at the WR position) and TJ Graham.

Marcus Easley was parked on the practice squad, or in other words, made available to every other team in the NFL for their 53 man roster. He was not signed, which indicates to me that he's not in the top 160 or so of WR's in the NFL. Given that Pro Personnel departments know everything about other teams' rosters, why would they eschew Easley?

TJ Graham is a guy I wouldn't bank on to start or contribute in 2013. He's still a project type with mediocre hands and isn't a strong route runner.

We have holes in key positions and we have a lot of holes. We have holes at QB, WR, TE, OG (most likely losing Levitre), Safety, Corner, MLB, and OLB. Outside of Gilmore, we have no real depth at the position. Brooks has shown a lot of promise during the preseason but we haven't seen much of him. Aaron Williams and McKelvin are liabilities so I definitely see a need at this position.

This board is going to melt when we let levitre walk and draft warmack to replace him

I don't know why people on here are going nuts or act surprised about holes on the roster or cuts. This franchise has been stuck at below .500 for roughly a decade. Of course we need a lot of help - our roster is subpar much like our w/l record.

Players like nelson, barnett, wilson, etc are not the solution.

Other than maybe 3-5 players on this roster, no one should really be safe.

We're rebuilding w a completely different coaching regime. This requires an overhaul of the current roster in order to meet this coaching staff's needs.

All of our needs won't be filled in one off-season. Whoever walks in FA, good for them, but there are very few players on this sad roster that deserve to receive premium money - especially a guard on an offensive line that would ALWAYS get dominated on 3rd and 4th and shorts.

Edited by bobobonators

Marcus Easley was parked on the practice squad, or in other words, made available to every other team in the NFL for their 53 man roster. He was not signed, which indicates to me that he's not in the top 160 or so of WR's in the NFL. Given that Pro Personnel departments know everything about other teams' rosters, why would they eschew Easley?

TJ Graham is a guy I wouldn't bank on to start or contribute in 2013. He's still a project type with mediocre hands and isn't a strong route runner.

FTR, IR is not the same as the practice squad.

I see that the old refrain about "the Bills suck at drafting" is alive and well. While I'd be the last to stage a parade down Main Street to honor OBD, I think we around here have a tendency to get a little to "tight-focused" on just the Bills. If we expand our view out to include the entire AFCE, my impression is that the Dolphins, Jets and Pats have not exactly set the world on fire with their own drafts in recent years. Or at least have done no better than the Bills.

For those of you who like to do this sort of thing, it might be illuminating to go through Bill Polian's drafts to see just how many of his picks didn't work out so well.

I'm always tempted - with this team - to look at the draft and say, "we could really attack one unit (offense or defense) and fix it with this draft. I think the same this year. If we wanted we could use the draft to find 2 LB's and a Corner. We could also use this draft to get a WR, QB, and TE - all starting material. However, I get uneasy, for some reason, thinking of how we'll mix and match, and not fixing either.

I know, there is also FA - and I suspect we'll get 1-2 starting LB's in FA, a starting caliber TE to play along with Scott Chandler (I see someone like Cook a real possibility) and there are definitely starting caliber CB's and WR's in FA, too. So - it is possible that the Bills could come away from the offseason with potential answers for all our holes (I know, it isn't going to be fixed in one offseason, but we could be a lot closer after this year - playoff caliber - if the right moves are made). I can say I like that they're cleaning house of the average starters - because it seemed like Buffalo made average their standard for so long. They should be keeping only the really good players, the guys who can hold their own and not leave us needing more out of the position.

a starting caliber TE to play along with Scott Chandler (I see someone like Cook a real possibility)

I don't think so KH.

Because of the # of snaps Cook lined up in the slot, he and his representation are trying to make the case that he should get the franchise tag for wide receivers.

Regardless, I'd heard the Titans were fine with slapping the TE franchise tag on him.

Personally I don't think he's worth it and I bet the Bills feel the same way.

But of course I'm guessing.

This board is going to melt when we let levitre walk and draft warmack to replace him

That would be tough to use Warmack in the first round with so many other needs. On the other hand, Warmack will be better than Levitre by game 8 and an all-pro. Unfortunately, he ran a 5.5 which is not fast enough to catch the other teams defenders when Fitz throws his picks. Edited by MOVALLEYRANDY

I see that the old refrain about "the Bills suck at drafting" is alive and well. While I'd be the last to stage a parade down Main Street to honor OBD, I think we around here have a tendency to get a little to "tight-focused" on just the Bills. If we expand our view out to include the entire AFCE, my impression is that the Dolphins, Jets and Pats have not exactly set the world on fire with their own drafts in recent years. Or at least have done no better than the Bills.

For those of you who like to do this sort of thing, it might be illuminating to go through Bill Polian's drafts to see just how many of his picks didn't work out so well.

And that is why the Fish and Jets have stunk along with us over the past few seasons. The Pats on the other hand still have Tom Brady and a bunch of good coaches, that keeps them in post season play. And after all someone HAS TO win the AFC East.

I hope the Bills will be more competitive next year, but we have significant needs at LB, WR, TE and CB (I am ignoring QB for this post, which is probably the biggest need of all).

LB: Cutting Barnett leaves us with Sheppard and Bradham. Not sure whether either is starting caliber. I don't think there is a reserve linebacker on the roster who can step up to a starting role. The Bills need at least one new starter, assuming that the team stays with Sheppard and Bradham and Bills do not switch to a 3-4 , in which case we will need two new starters. The current group of LBs could be the worst in the NFL.

WR: After SJ, there are no starting caliber WRs on the roster. I have my doubts as to whether Graham will develop. Need at least a second starting wide receiver opposite Stevie and likely a third wide receiver (in the slot, with Nelson not coming back). Another poor unit that ranks among the NFL's worst.

TE: I like Chandler, but he may not be ready to start the season. Need a starting caliber TE.

CB: Need a starter opposite Gilmore, particularly if McKelvin signs with another team. Need to see if Brooks can develop. I have no hope that Williams will become a solid CB, and I expect him to be shifted to safety. Rogers played poorly last year and we need an upgrade at the nickel and dime CB.

How does this all get fixed this offseason? We can't count on rookies filling all of these spots, maybe our first and second round picks will be able to step in, but who knows? What I find disturbing is that there are not obvious choices currently on the roster to fill these spots. Throw in the uncertainty at the QB position and the possibility that Levitre will not be re-signed, and you have a team that still seems far away in year four of the most recent rebuild.

We'll draft the linebacker we need in round one and probably a qb in round 2. I see a cb in round 3. We'll get our WR in Free agency. We;ll still have holes but that isn't an excuse. Many many other teams started out with holes and turned it around quickly. I'm not thinking superbowl but I think it should be made clear to the new coach that it is up to him to get us into competition for the division title in year one and make the playoffs in year 2. The problem with this team is they don't set high expectations from the get go, but stumble around for three or four years and fire the coach.

So Cordy Glenn is a bust now? Stevie Johnson?

PTR

He just got a little carried away... ;)

Still...No question this Roster built by Nix is an absolute mess at this point...Not that it can't be turned around, even turned around quickly...But it's a freaking mess in way too many areas... B-)

2. The problem with this team is they don't set high expectations from the get go, but stumble around for three or four years and fire the coach.

Honestly...At this point at least...I would say the problem with this team can be summed up in two words...Buddy Nix...

Nix hired Gailey...He believed in Fitz...He reigned over a Scouting Department that not only made many poor evaluations on the players they took, but also under-valued a slew of Pro-Bowl caliber players...Some of those Pro Bowl caliber players were QB's who could have almost instantly given this Franchise hope (at the very least)...Nix proved from his very first Draft pick as GM that he was deficient at the team building concept...He continues to throw out quotes and anecdotes that are false when researched...He's in WAY, way over his head...Unfortunately for Bills fans, Ralph and Russ greatly overestimate Nix's abilities as a GM...Heck, even if he was a great scout at one time I think those abilities have to be questioned when you're 100% in charge of a Football operation that values Aaron Williams as a prospect over Kaepernick and Dalton, or TJ Graham as a bigger need for the team than Russell Wilson...

Want to know why the Bills are where they are? It all starts with Buddy...The good ol' scout... B-)

Honestly...At this point at least...I would say the problem with this team can be summed up in two words...Buddy Nix...

Nix hired Gailey...He believed in Fitz...He reigned over a Scouting Department that not only made many poor evaluations on the players they took, but also under-valued a slew of Pro-Bowl caliber players...Some of those Pro Bowl caliber players were QB's who could have almost instantly given this Franchise hope (at the very least)...Nix proved from his very first Draft pick as GM that he was deficient at the team building concept...He continues to throw out quotes and anecdotes that are false when researched...He's in WAY, way over his head...Unfortunately for Bills fans, Ralph and Russ greatly overestimate Nix's abilities as a GM...Heck, even if he was a great scout at one time I think those abilities have to be questioned when you're 100% in charge of a Football operation that values Aaron Williams as a prospect over Kaepernick and Dalton, or TJ Graham as a bigger need for the team than Russell Wilson...

Want to know why the Bills are where they are? It all starts with Buddy...The good ol' scout... B-)

Exactly. Nix's decisions on the QB seemed based in fear since he took over. His answer to the QB problem was to acquire or continue with lower ceiling and under-performing veterans rather than develop a young player. He failed to see that, unlike only a few years ago, young QB's could contribute quickly. And the argument to support Nix's strategy was that a low ceiling veteran was more likely to play OK ball than a young guy. Well, if you're looking for certainties in life, there aren't many. GM's get paid to do the research and make good decisions. Nix's was to punt on the QB on draft day.

No team since 2010 without a QB in the NFL has devoted fewer draft resources to the QB position than Buffalo. Was Nix afraid of a bust? Sure seems like it. And it's what has the Bills backed against the wall at QB 3+ years and in their 4th draft with ol Buddy.