Why Does DHS Need 1.6 Billion Rounds of Ammo?

Nanker

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. The reason they need this many rounds is simple: if you want "shooters" they have to shoot. Every day. Pretty much every combat skill that requies being physically involved, requires daily practice. There's no mystery to it. Every single person who is deemed a "deployable" resource has a readiness condition. That readiness is largely dependent on how often they practice. For those that are deployed immediately, they, no different than the Bills, have to practice 5-6 times a week, or their readiness deteriorates.

2. The real question that should be being asked is: How many shooters are being kept at what state of readiness?

We can debate how many people at Homeland actually need to be at that level of readiness, and if the ammo required = 21.6 billion (for Tom :lol:). But forget the conspiracy: this is merely a logisitics matter. Somebody said X number of people, somebody else did the math, and got Y number of rounds. Then, somebody else said "we can get a deal if we buy more".

This stuff happens in the Army every day and nobody poops themselves.

3. The fact that Fluffington Post is being brought into this as a "see liberals are saying it too" example is laughable.

Those of you on the left or the right that think Huffpo is a liberal organization? :lol: Huffpo has been a $$$ organization....through click-traffic, for quite some time now. The reason they posted this "story"? It was getting clicks.

Sorry to bust the bubble of the ideologoues on both sides. This whole "I run my website because I want to make my political points" is long gone. Just as always happens...the start up guys get replaced over time by the corpoate guys...and then its solely about the profits. Look for the same thing coming to Politico, Red State, all the rest.

Nothing wrong with that...since the start up guys themselves started the thing up...to make profits.

Adriana Huffington thanks all you liberal tools, for "believing in her"...from her mansion.

Daily Caller sets the record straight...

http://dailycaller.c...f-handgun-ammo/

The incorrect caluclations that brought reporters to the 21.6 million number looks like this for each component:

1. .40 cal. 100,000 rounds x 100 quantities = 10,000,000 rounds

2. 9mm 115 grain, 100,000 rounds x 100 quantities = 10,000,000 rounds

3. 9mm 124 grain ball, 40,000 rounds x 40 quantities = 1,600,000 rounds

Total = 21,600,000 rounds

The problem with the equation is that the wrong numbers were used to calculate the delivery. The error in reporting occurred because the authors mistakenly failed to recognize that the delivery was to be priced per 1,000 rounds.

Here are the correct calculations:

1. .40 cal. 100 quantities of a 1,000 round unit = 100,000 rounds

2. 9mm 115 grain, 100 quantities of a 1,000 round unit = 100,000 rounds

3. 9mm 124 grain ball, 40 quantities of a 1,000 round unit = 40,000 rounds

Total = 240,000 rounds

To directly answer the rumors: Did the Department of Homeland Security just request to purchase 21,600,000 rounds of handgun ammo? No, not by a long shot.

They purchased 240,000 rounds. That amount is equivalent to just one round per employee of the Department of Homeland Security.

Daily Caller sets the record straight...

http://dailycaller.c...f-handgun-ammo/

[/font][/font]

Thanks for this. This is what get when we rely on English/Journalism majors to do math. :lol:

This is also what we get when we rely on non business people to talk about business, economics, health insurance, health care costs, etc. Lot of that going around the last few years. Did anybody really think that they sold rounds in units...of 1? Yeah, you just stop by the ammo factory and pick them up with a Wegman's bag.

:lol:

So Tom was right and 3rd was wrong?

No Tom was talking about one RFP. Read the title of this thread. I pointed out where there was a RFP of up to 450,000,000 rounds. Regardless the original source on all of this appears to be the AP, not infowars.

No Tom was talking about one RFP. Read the title of this thread. I pointed out where there was a RFP of up to 450,000,000 rounds. Regardless the original source on all of this appears to be the AP, not infowars.

Discussed about a year ago; I pointed out where that was incorrect, for exactly the same reasons.

Discussed about a year ago; I pointed out where that was incorrect, for exactly the same reasons.

Don't remember that at all. Regardless, the source of the story was not Infowars, it appears to be AP. A spokesperson for the Law Enforcement Learning Center was quoted confirming the large RFP's. I even confirmed that she was actually employed by them and had a phone number for her. All you did was throw up one minor RFP that was presented with bad math as evidence that the whole story was wrong. As you know, there are many RFP's envolved here, and you proving that 21,600,000 rounds were really 216,000 does not put a dent in the 1.6 billion figure. This would appear to be a classic case of not being able to see the forest through the trees.

Actually it's only 2.7 tanks which would have been 3.5 but hey, it's the sequester baby. They had to cut back somewhere. :w00t:

So 3 tanks, one of which is missing cupholders and the radio, all sporting bumper stickers reading "I break for social justice" and "vegetarians do it better."