• Nix with Fitzpick
    • Both were about equally as foolish
    • Neither, they were good ideas at the time

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Sanchez is a worse player and got the bigger deal so at first that made me lean towards that deal. But, Sanchez was a 1st round pick that took them deep into the playoffs multiple times.

Fitz was a 7th round backup QB brought in to be a 2nd-3rd stringer for his 3rd team. The Bills bought high and will sell low on this one. Not only that but this commitment made the Bills pass on some quality QBs in both the 2012 draft and 2012 FA markets forcing us to reach for a guy in 2013, which we will.

If someone takes a dump on the sidewalk, it's a pile of sh*t. Someone responsible for taking care of such dilemmas can come along and say, "Well, it's here, I may as well as make it look good", and proceed to put some lovely flowers around it. That will never change the fact it's still a pile of sh*t in the middle of the sidewalk.

Now, the same worker can take a shovel, scrape off the mess and remove it completely. Eventually the stain that's left behind will disappear and be forgotten.

Fitz is our pile of sh*t on the sidewalk. Buddy put it there by signing him to that ridiculous contract. Take out the shovel, remove the pile and move on. The stain that is the Fitz contract will eventually be forgotten.

Edited by Marauder24

And after watching him since that contract was signed (as well as looking at his career "accomplishments"), I would have been ecstatic for him to be someone else's problem. Maybe then we would have been forced to select a QB in the most QB rich draft in a decade rather than the weakest QB draft in a decade.

Yeah now you/I say that. But at the time it was the right move.

I voted for Sanchez.

I have consistently been one of Fitz's bigger detractors here on these boards. But look at Sanchez. He averaged 6.7 yards per attempt as a rookie, 6.5 as a sophomore, and 6.4 in his third year. For comparison, Trent Edwards' career average is 6.5. The Jets had a guy whose numbers were gradually declining to below-Edwards levels, on a team with a better supporting cast than the one Edwards had. Had Sanchez been in a QB competition with Edwards, it's very far from obvious he would have won. Given these data, the Jets felt the need to . . . lock him up with a big contract? :w00t:

As bad as Fitz's extension was, it did not ascend to the same lofty heights of boneheadedness as Sanchez's.

I did say it then, and I said it last year when his option came up, and again in training camp that it should be an open competition, and I'm sure saying it now. Its been the wrong freaking move each time.

And BTW it doesn't even matter what he said / she said, when or where. Its about doing the right thing now and cutting ties with him, which is lonnnnggggg overdue.

Check my history. Never have I said it was the right move. In fact, quite the opposite. Read my post about the pile of sh*t above. Pretty much sums up how I've felt about Fitz his whole career.

Edited by Marauder24

Fitz -- by a mile.

The Sanchize contract was directly in response to the Tebow signing -- which was the real foolish move for the Jets -- as a signal that Sanchize was still the guy. The Jets painted themselves into a corner and that was the price to get out. But even still, Sanchize has won 4 playoff games as a starter so it was not that unreasonable to expect him to improve in 2012 rather than regress.

Fitz meanwhile got huge money for a six game run against mostly bad teams (and the Pats on Tom Brady's worse day as a pro). That was the most foolish contract decision since Notre Dame gave Charlie Weis a 10 year extension after his first ten games.

Fitz actually was on a run of games going into the season before (about 14 or 15 if I remember correctly) where he was the (I think it was) 7th highest QB in the league. I am not saying he should have been resigned but I saw and still see the logic to it at the time.

And after watching him since that contract was signed (as well as looking at his career "accomplishments"), I would have been ecstatic for him to be someone else's problem. Maybe then we would have been forced to select a QB in the most QB rich draft in a decade rather than the weakest QB draft in a decade.

Hindsight

If someone takes a dump on the sidewalk, it's a pile of sh*t. Someone responsible for taking care of such dilemmas can come along and say, "Well, it's here, I may as well as make it look good", and proceed to put some lovely flowers around it. That will never change the fact it's still a pile of sh*t in the middle of the sidewalk.

Now, the same worker can take a shovel, scrape off the mess and remove it completely. Eventually the stain that's left behind will disappear and be forgotten.

Fitz is our pile of sh*t on the sidewalk. Buddy put it there by signing him to that ridiculous contract. Take out the shovel, remove the pile and move on. The stain that is the Fitz contract will eventually be forgotten.

Highly unsightly hindsight and really bad metaphor.

One's largely guaranteed and one isn't. What's the argument here?

Yeah that too and the Jests are the freakin enemy, I actually love when they eff up way more than we do! Dirty was a way bigger mistake that they are stuck with, while we may not get rid of Fitz but could if it suits our means.

Check my history. Never have I said it was the right move. In fact, quite the opposite. Read my post about the pile of sh*t above. Pretty much sums up how I've felt about Fitz his whole career.

I can vouch for that too...I remember you blasting that move, as well as I

Hopefully the Bills learn to never extend a contract mid season. wait until the end of the year to decide.

You'd have hoped they learned that lesson when they surreptitiously extended Jauron.

But they didn't learn the lesson.

This team has a way of making bad decisions.

@CBSSports

The Jets ex-GM regrets giving Mark Sanchez a contract extension. No word if regrets trading for Tebow, too: http://cbsprt.co/JetsRegret

I don't know if regret is the right word but Tannenbaum did take responsibility for the Tebow trade after he was fired.

Tannenbaum referred to it as "just a trade that didn't work out,” which is kind of like saying “beer is occasionally available in New Orleans.”

Tannenbaum said the idea initially stemmed from their desire to replace Brad Smith as their run-option quarterback, and the hiring of Tony Sparano with Wildcat background made it seem like a perfect fit.

“We thought there was a role for him,” Tannenbaum said. “Working with Rex every day, and seeing the way the league has evolved with the ball being in the quarterback’s hands and making plays with your feet, we thought it would give us a chance to make our offense more dynamic. It just didn’t work out that way.”

http://profootballta...didnt-work-out/

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Fitz actually was on a run of games going into the season before (about 14 or 15 if I remember correctly) where he was the (I think it was) 7th highest QB in the league. I am not saying he should have been resigned but I saw and still see the logic to it at the time.

Hindsight

Yeah that too and the Jests are the freakin enemy, I actually love when they eff up way more than we do! Dirty was a way bigger mistake that they are stuck with, while we may not get rid of Fitz but could if it suits our means.

> where he was the (I think it was) 7th highest QB in the league

Depends what tool you're using. QB rating places a strong emphasis on completion percentage. As such, it will always overstate the performance of QBs who emphasize short, high percentage passes; while understating the performance of QBs with the opposite style of play. QB rating will always make Fitz look better than he actually is.

Yards per attempt is a much more accurate evaluation tool; and it's much harder to inflate YPA than QB rating. But even according to yards per attempt, Fitz is a better QB than Sanchez. (The same is also true of most house cats.)

During the stretch you mentioned, Fitz had a solid, but not spectacular, YPA. Certainly a better YPA than his usual.

So let's put the contract in perspective. Heading into the bye 2 years ago the bills looked like a playoff team and Fitzpatrick was playing like Pro Bowler in Chan's offense. The bills enter the bye week and decide to lock Fitzpatrick up. The contract would have been modest at best if Fitzpatrick continued to play the way he was playing. In addition, if he continued to play good ball the bills risked losing him at the end of the season. He would not have been worth the franchise tag price, so he would have had the opportunity to go wherever he wanted or to whoever offered him the most money. If you look back at the comments on the site at the time of the signing, most people were in favor of it. Most people on this board were also mad when the bills passed on Jimmy Clausen. Fitzpatrick's current contract is acutually kind of fair when you compare it too his production. Now, would I like to see the bills obtain a better QB? Yes I would. I just can deal with all of the revisionist historians on here. To read the messages on the site you would think that bills fans were Bill Polians. Everyone knew that Russel Wilson and Colin Kaepernick were going to be great. Everyone knew that Fitz would fail. I'm calling BS on all of this. Fitzpatrick's contract was worth the risk. The mistake the bills made was not drafting a QB just in case Fitz came back down to earth.

This is 100% accurate. As another poster said, don't forget the year before Fitz had great games and could be argued would have been wins on the road at NE and BMORE and also at home vs Pitt, with a god awful defense. Then he starts the next year 5 -2, and this town and this board were all in a tizzy we had finally found a QB and he was going to be gone at the end of the year.

I do remember one poster pointing out the Bills were getting insanely lucky in terms of turnovers etc after the start and that it could not be maintained, and I think he was critical Fitz and he was crucified on here, and I mean really destroyed.

Plus, as mentioned they could cut Fitz tomorrow if they had someone, anyone, who could play behind him.. as already pointed out, this was the bigger mistake.

> where he was the (I think it was) 7th highest QB in the league

Depends what tool you're using. QB rating places a strong emphasis on completion percentage. As such, it will always overstate the performance of QBs who emphasize short, high percentage passes; while understating the performance of QBs with the opposite style of play. QB rating will always make Fitz look better than he actually is.

Yards per attempt is a much more accurate evaluation tool; and it's much harder to inflate YPA than QB rating. But even according to yards per attempt, Fitz is a better QB than Sanchez. (The same is also true of most house cats.)

During the stretch you mentioned, Fitz had a solid, but not spectacular, YPA. Certainly a better YPA than his usual.

Hindsight

I said it then and I will say it now. It was a mistake. Check my history. My anti-Fitz stance is and always has been well documented.

I was speaking hypothetically, not that I had any knowledge you contradicted yourself. I'm not a Fitz fan. I just understand they felt a certain way about Fitz and it was the right move based on their feeling. So I'm not willing to beat them up too much over it. I also don't believe it stopped them from drafting a QB last year, they just didn't like anyone enough to draft. I disagreed but don't think signing Fitz stopped it. In saying that I don't think it will stop them this year. And in the end that's what we all agree on.

lets not forget the "rib-gate" stats."he will be better when his broken rib heals" .............he was trash after the 5-2 start, then trash for the whole 2012 season. it's time to move on from this beaten horse.

good try good effort fitz, as much as i "hate" on him he did give it his best but was not blessed with the attributes of the "cams,rogers,lucks, RG3's" of the world. Time to step our game up, it's a new day and these qb's are machines, not guys with rag arms who try hard.

more more cuts!