New York to ban youth football?

NY Assemblyman Michael Benedetto dropped a bill that would do just that. Likely wouldn't pass, but if it did, it would have a big effect on skills development, IMO, as well as parental rights.

Seriously--is there anyone here who thinks this is sane?

Caused this football lover to draft up a little parody.

Edited by Just in Atlanta

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

our rights as a free society are progressively being taken away....

thats because the majority of society is a bunch of idiots that can't think or take care of themselves. This is what happens when the public can't make the right decisions on their own.

NY Assemblyman Michael Benedetto dropped a bill that would do just that. Likely wouldn't pass, but if it did, it would have a big effect on skills development, IMO, as well as parental rights.

Seriously--is there anyone here who thinks this is sane?

Caused this football lover to draft up a little parody.

:doh::censored: :censored: :wallbash::thumbdown::bag: Edited by Dat '315' Dude

ehhhh...

im about as anti-government as you can get without being taken away in the night, but this seems like an adequete use of governmental resources.

pee wee kids cant make an informed decision.

should be flag or 2 hand touch until let's say, freshman year of high school? or maybe the varsity team could be tackle?

i guess i just dont see whats wrong with outlawing something among 6 year olds?

Edited by JohnnyGold

ehhhh...

im about as anti-government as you can get without being taken away in the night, but this seems like an adequete use of governmental resources.

should be flag or 2 hand touch until let's say, freshman year of high school? or maybe the varsity team could be tackle?

i wouldn't say freshman year but I could get behind this a little bit. Maybe 6th grade or something like that.

ehhhh...

10 year olds too.

I think there comes a point when the average person, regardless of politics, comes to the conclusion that there is a line that's been crossed concerning government reach into the minuta of our daily lives.

I will not be letting any politician tell me what activities I can't send my own kid to. He will be playing football if he wants, as well as BMXing or anything else that's in his heart.

Sorry, but you aren't "anti government" if you think some politician, who works for you, should be telling you you can't let your kid play freaking football.

My two cents.

Edited by Just in Atlanta

our rights as a free society are progressively being taken away....

Yeah, yeah...don't go all Ted Nugent on us.

These kind of legislators are just exhibitionists who latch on to anything that will get their name in print. No way, no how, does Cuomo waste a moment's time on bills advanced by guys who yell fire in the theater of the absurd...

Yeah, yeah...don't go all Ted Nugent on us.

These kind of legislators are just exhibitionists who latch on to anything that will get their name in print. No way, no how, does Cuomo waste a moment's time on bills advanced by guys who yell fire in the theater of the absurd...

Wait till some kid in Utica is killed on the field.

Then Cuomo, and other pols, won't be seeing this as absurd.

It would have been "absurd" five years ago to think about banning smoking inside one's own apartment, banning large sodas, or pick one of many "absurd" laws that have been passed that intrude on our lives.

This won't pass. But it lays the groundwork for the next crisis.

I was always too fat to play tackle football when I was a kid, so I couldn't play tackle until junior high. When my son was 8 he wanted to play tackle because a lot of kids on his wrestling club played on the local team. I was a bit hesitant at first until I realized that I was playing neighborhood tackle ball when I was his age. Kids these days don't really play football around the neighborhood, so this is kind of the stand in. As far as head trauma goes I haven't seen anything that would give me cause for concern. The kids are coached in proper technique and I haven't seen any major head collisions in two seasons. In two seasons my son's team has been lucky enough to have had no injuries whatsoever. In my opinion this is a decision that should be left to a parent and not legislated. I'm not saying my decision is the right one, but it's the right one for my family and so far it's worked out fine.

Edited by Dr. Fong

My son and his friends live for football!!! His peewee team or his group of kids since they played 7-8 year old and now 9-10 year old have not lost a game! They are 40-0 in the 4 years with 4 super bowl titles! They are a nasty team to watch! My son would be devistated if this happen in NY!

Lets just make kids watch TV more and play dumb video games and get fat and lazy!

The state of NY has gone down the shitter!!

Have there been studies linking long-term health problems to youth football? Kids don't usually inflict as much damage. I suspect this is at the behest of some douche bag politician who either feels passionately about something he knows little about or is trying to cash in on the hype.