Rusty Jones Affect on the Bills

JPS

If it seems like our strength and conditioning has gone down since Rusty left in '05, it has. Rusty Jones left us with a team that was top 5 in terms of players staying healthy. Since then, the Bills have AVERAGED #32. It's a decent read.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-02-07/sports/ct-spt-0208-bears-pompei-rusty-jones-chicago--20130208_1_strength-coach-rusty-jones-nutrition

What about the fact that we are knocked out early so you start IRing guys that playoff teams would carry for a January push? Are we really THAT much worse based on him leaving?

Many around here would say a big reason the Bills are knocked out early is because of the injuries. It's part of it, I think. But 32nd over the span of 7-8 years. That can't be good.

Many around here would say a big reason the Bills are knocked out early is because of the injuries. It's part of it, I think. But 32nd over the span of 7-8 years. That can't be good.

It's a bit of chicken or egg on that one but it can't be ignored how many guys we shut down because we were eliminated during those 8 years. We were also 32nd in playoff appearances.

What about the fact that we are knocked out early so you start IRing guys that playoff teams would carry for a January push? Are we really THAT much worse based on him leaving?

The only "January push" the Bills engage in is with gear filled carts toward their monster trucks and Suv's after cleaning out their lockers after week 17.

Why did we let this guy go again? Bills really do need to overhaul their strength and conditioning or at least do something to find a way to turn around the injury bug that has plagued this team for years. The NFL is such a battle of attrition and its hard to win when you aren't healthy. Its been a big reason why the Bills haven't had success in recent years.

If it seems like our strength and conditioning has gone down since Rusty left in '05, it has. Rusty Jones left us with a team that was top 5 in terms of players staying healthy. Since then, the Bills have AVERAGED #32. It's a decent read.

http://articles.chic...jones-nutrition

Maybe we can get his son to transfer to UB :)

all we really need is someone who used the system and bring it here, after all he was the first to use analytics he'd fit right right in.

Maybe we can get his son to transfer to UB :)

all we really need is someone who used the system and bring it here, after all he was the first to use analytics he'd fit right right in.

Does UB have a School of Music?

I really did think it was a good article on how Rusty is different and a bit of a trailblazer in the area. I just cant believe that success isn't copied like it is in every other area in the NFL.

I know I'll get hammered for saying this but: DJ was not a horrible coach. As I recall we led the league in injuries twice when he was here.

When you have few good players to begin with, and then your best players are injured, you just aren't going to win many games.

The day Mike Mularkey chased Rusty out of Buffalo was one of the worst in post-Kelly Bills history.

Does UB have a School of Music?

I really did think it was a good article on how Rusty is different and a bit of a trailblazer in the area. I just cant believe that success isn't copied like it is in every other area in the NFL.

it probably will now with our analytical program.

As funny as it sounds some coaches don't think S&C is that important. Look at Dickie J, the players said that they didn't have to workout during the season (which is absurd) and Poz said it had been since college he did power cleans and heavy lifting :blink::wacko: .

Makes no sense, we stunk when he left us too. And we haven't been worst overall since we haven't drafted #1 overall. Bills often aren't knocked out early and keep fighting until mathematical elimination which is usually late in a season.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

All of Rusty's teams were 4th quarter teams. 2nd worst move to firing Polian.

I agree completely! Mularkey came in and replaced him with his own guy. Nevermind that RJ was widely considered the best S&C guy in the league. Mularkey needed to give his buddy a job. I think I knew right then that Mularkey would fail.

Regardless, I wish RJ all the best in his retirement. He was the best!