Any other landlords here?

I had to learn in a hurry. First apt I bought was a 4 unit owned by Fannie Mae[as is] that had been sitting empty for a year. First I had to repair the damage[substantial, including water damage from burst pipes] then get renters. Learned a lot that year about buildings and tenets

same here Jim. Bought my house, closed on 12-2-09, Moved in on 12-5-09. Within 3 minutes of pulling up the moving trucks, my tenant came over to tell me that her heat has been out for 3 days. That the last owner told her it was my responsibility to deal with it. So needless to say I had to deal with my first landlord/tenant issue within the first few minutes before I even moved a single box into the house. Man that sucked.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

same here Jim. Bought my house, closed on 12-2-09, Moved in on 12-5-09. Within 3 minutes of pulling up the moving trucks, my tenant came over to tell me that her heat has been out for 3 days. That the last owner told her it was my responsibility to deal with it. So needless to say I had to deal with my first landlord/tenant issue within the first few minutes before I even moved a single box into the house. Man that sucked.

At lest you had a last owner to talk to. Fanne Mae was a complete mystery to me, I never spoke to them. All communications between us where relayed though my REA.

It was a nightmare, I am buying a $240,000 piece of abandoned property and can't talk face to face with the owner?

At lest you had a last owner to talk to. Fanne Mae was a complete mystery to me, I never spoke to them. All communications between us where relayed though my REA.

It was a nightmare, I am buying a $240,000 piece of abandoned property and can't talk face to face with the owner?

sorry to hear that. But I never spoke with an owner either. That was the tenant that told me that info. In fact, my previous owner had an LLC set up and I never even knew their name.

New update on idiot tenant stories.

I don't live at my duplex that I rent. I'm a few miles away and I spend a lot of time out of town for work. I contacted a snow plow service regarding plowing when the snow gets bad. He wanted to set it up so that every 4 or 6 inches he came over to plow. I was not ok with that arrangement because I know that snow plow companies will come by the minute it hits 4 inches earlier in the day and then double up at night again instead of just waiting until morning or until the snow settles. Plus on top of that, when I am home I'd rather snow blow myself instead of paying someone 20 bucks to come over and do it.

With that said, we agreed that he would not come over and plow unless I called for him and because I don't have a contract, I would pay 30 each time. Completely fair and understandable.y tenant doesn't even own a vehicle and there is no real reason to have the driveway done right away.

So I was at my house today and spoke with my tenant as the snow was coming down. I informed her that I wouldn't pay to have it plowed and asked her not to call the snow plow service either and I would either pay tomorrow or do it myself when I came back over tomorrow.

At about 6pm I get a call from my tenant that they came over on their own and plowed. Because of the no contract agreement that we have, I, or my tenant pays cash when they come by. Then I reimburse my tenant the cash the next time I come over. She informed me that she paid him already. I told her I would pay her back tomorrow and not to have them plow again. Another 2 hours later she calls me back to tell me they came back and her daughters son (who occasionally stays there) has already paid him.

Now I've already made a phone call to this plow guy. Of course he Didnt answer. I left a nasty message that I never asked him to plow. And I have already told my tenant that I will not reimburse her for both because its rediculous that I just told her that I didn't want them to plow again. All she had to do was tell the driver to call me and I would handle it personally.

Ugh I hate my idiot medicated tenant. If her side of the duplex was up to standards to rent to someone else is kick her ass out.

I don't live at my duplex that I rent. I'm a few miles away and I spend a lot of time out of town for work. I contacted a snow plow service regarding plowing when the snow gets bad. He wanted to set it up so that every 4 or 6 inches he came over to plow. I was not ok with that arrangement because I know that snow plow companies will come by the minute it hits 4 inches earlier in the day and then double up at night again instead of just waiting until morning or until the snow settles. Plus on top of that, when I am home I'd rather snow blow myself instead of paying someone 20 bucks to come over and do it.

With that said, we agreed that he would not come over and plow unless I called for him and because I don't have a contract, I would pay 30 each time. Completely fair and understandable.y tenant doesn't even own a vehicle and there is no real reason to have the driveway done right away.

So I was at my house today and spoke with my tenant as the snow was coming down. I informed her that I wouldn't pay to have it plowed and asked her not to call the snow plow service either and I would either pay tomorrow or do it myself when I came back over tomorrow.

At about 6pm I get a call from my tenant that they came over on their own and plowed. Because of the no contract agreement that we have, I, or my tenant pays cash when they come by. Then I reimburse my tenant the cash the next time I come over. She informed me that she paid him already. I told her I would pay her back tomorrow and not to have them plow again. Another 2 hours later she calls me back to tell me they came back and her daughters son (who occasionally stays there) has already paid him.

Now I've already made a phone call to this plow guy. Of course he Didnt answer. I left a nasty message that I never asked him to plow. And I have already told my tenant that I will not reimburse her for both because its rediculous that I just told her that I didn't want them to plow again. All she had to do was tell the driver to call me and I would handle it personally.

Ugh I hate my idiot medicated tenant. If her side of the duplex was up to standards to rent to someone else is kick her ass out.

Give it a try. I rented a apartment out once that had no carpet, just plywood flooring.

Give it a try. I rented a apartment out once that had no carpet, just plywood flooring.

im just finishing up remodeling the other half of the duplex after a 2 year operation. First I ran out of money, then I ran out of time off work to work on it, then my buddy who is a contractor and has been helping me along the way has had issues with his house and apartment building, then he had hunting season, then the holidays, and now he's out of commission with a surgery. I'm finally getting finished and hope to be done by the end of February. I'm saving up for a wedding and the extra $600-700 a month would go well right about now. I can't afford to let a tenant go and not be guaranteed someone in her place.

Her side isn't a hazard zone or anything but were talking at least a couple thousand to paint, carpets, preferrebly new drywall, etc...

Once I have a good amount saved up for the wedding then I can take some shots.

im just finishing up remodeling the other half of the duplex after a 2 year operation. First I ran out of money, then I ran out of time off work to work on it, then my buddy who is a contractor and has been helping me along the way has had issues with his house and apartment building, then he had hunting season, then the holidays, and now he's out of commission with a surgery. I'm finally getting finished and hope to be done by the end of February. I'm saving up for a wedding and the extra $600-700 a month would go well right about now. I can't afford to let a tenant go and not be guaranteed someone in her place.

Her side isn't a hazard zone or anything but were talking at least a couple thousand to paint, carpets, preferrebly new drywall, etc...

Once I have a good amount saved up for the wedding then I can take some shots.

Why new dry wall? BTW I had Lowe's put new carpeting in a while back. It was $89 for installation. Unbelievably low, the kid worked 3 straight hours.

I have rental property and have a property manager that takes care of them for me. He conducts background checks of tenants, does a walk through of a property every 6 months, as well as fixes property issues the same day the tenant calls and reports them. Our philosophy is the same, I rather rent for less money and get a quality tenant in there, rather than rent for more money and have a tenant that will tear the place up. Knock on wood, I haven't had any major tenant issues.

I have rental property and have a property manager that takes care of them for me. He conducts background checks of tenants, does a walk through of a property every 6 months, as well as fixes property issues the same day the tenant calls and reports them. Our philosophy is the same, I rather rent for less money and get a quality tenant in there, rather than rent for more money and have a tenant that will tear the place up. Knock on wood, I haven't had any major tenant issues.

What do you pay the manager?

I really hope you will reimburse your Tennant...I don't think the burden is on her to go out in the snow and tell him to stop...

I really hope you will reimburse your Tennant...I don't think the burden is on her to go out in the snow and tell him to stop...

she went out in the snow to pay him.

What do you pay the manager?

im interested to know this as well

Why new dry wall? BTW I had Lowe's put new carpeting in a while back. It was $89 for installation. Unbelievably low, the kid worked 3 straight hours.

because she has smoked in that apartment for about 7 years straight. The amount of Killz I would need I might as well just rip it all down.

That, and there's countless holes from pictures, rough spots from painting over nails and other unknown things on the walls.

Would just be easier to rip it all out and drywall. More time consuming but worth it.

Well see when the time comes.

4-6" WTF! That is enough to get a car stuck. What do you have them do, drive up and down and pack the snow? :doh:

Keep it clear @ 1-2"...

:rolleyes:

Nobody does that. My guess, he came to the door asking... :nana:

4-6" WTF! That is enough to get a car stuck. What do you have them do, drive up and down and pack the snow? :doh:

Keep it clear @ 1-2"...

4-6" was actually the proposed height by the plow company. They said that's what the majority of his customers do.

Second, as I said before, she doesn't even own a car. She occasionally has someone come over to the house with a car every 2-3 days at the most.

Third, she told me that her 20ish year old daughters boyfriend was outside and paid him both times... After I said twice already that I didn't want the guy to plow yesterday because I was home from work and would be over in the morning anyway to work in the other side of the apt. Both her and her daughter heard me say it. Even if she doesn't go out in the snow, at some point the guy would come to the door and, as I've said, I told her twice I didn't want it. All she had to do was call me, or tell them to call me. If she did that, I could have easily said to the driver that I never called for the plow (like originally negotiated) and I wasn't paying him to do it. Now I'm out 50-60 bucks because this guy came twice in an about 2 hours when I never called him, could have done it myself, and will probably have to do it again anyway because it Didnt stop snowing until later in the night.

im interested to know this as well

because she has smoked in that apartment for about 7 years straight. The amount of Killz I would need I might as well just rip it all down.

That, and there's countless holes from pictures, rough spots from painting over nails and other unknown things on the walls.

Would just be easier to rip it all out and drywall. More time consuming but worth it.

Well see when the time comes.

Get a belt sander on the walls with 80 grit. Fill holes with drywall mud, sand again. Spray with texture, then paint. Done this many times.

Do NOT get into drywall replacement if at all possible.

Edited by Jim in Anchorage

Get a belt sander on the walls with 80 grit. Fill holes with drywall mud, sand again. Spray with texture, then paint. Done this many times.

thanks for the advice. Forgot the other reason why I should rip it all down. Because in my side of the rental, as I ripped out the walls in the kitchen (small area) I noticed there wasn't any insulation on either the inside separating wall, or the outside walls. Again, small area, with lots of doors and windows, maybe they just said forget it. But it has intrigued me to look further into this as the house is always much colder than expected. You need the thermostat at about 71 to make it feel like 66-68 and you can feel cold spots, which I always thought were from the bad windows which need to be replaced.

Keep it clear @ 1-2"...

Would you please keep out of adult threads, purple monkey?

thanks for the advice. Forgot the other reason why I should rip it all down. Because in my side of the rental, as I ripped out the walls in the kitchen (small area) I noticed there wasn't any insulation on either the inside separating wall, or the outside walls. Again, small area, with lots of doors and windows, maybe they just said forget it. But it has intrigued me to look further into this as the house is always much colder than expected. You need the thermostat at about 71 to make it feel like 66-68 and you can feel cold spots, which I always thought were from the bad windows which need to be replaced.

I can see no insulation in interior walls outside no. May be worth while to look at spray in insulation.